Windows 7: The return and HOW.

On 11/04/2016 at 4:52 PM, helpifIcan said:

I didn't think your original win7 key would be valid after installing 10!

Strange

It works fine post w10 ;)

On 11/04/2016 at 6:52 AM, chrisj1968 said:

I'm back on Windows 7. I recently purchased a DVD with EVERY version of Windows x86/64bit from the basic all the way up to ultimate. I got it the DVD for about $8.75 on Amazon(the installation key for your SKU is YOUR responsibility to legally own*) ;) . Any way, to make the return to 7, there are a few things to consider: Do you know all of the hardware in your system? Basically I do but I concern myself with these aspects. I found that the older drivers will suit you just fine. Realtek sound and Conexant seem to be common builders of high definition audio. Some might have Atheros or like myself, Intel Wifi cards built in. I'll try and post links to some of the OEM's I'm aware of, their respective driver links. Think older drivers! 2010-2013 or 2014 generally work.

Toshiba: Toshiba Drivers

Dell: Dell driver support

HP: HP driver support

Lenovo: Lenovo (I hope the right location)

Alienware(Dell owned) Driver support

ASUS: Driver support ( Windows 7 64 bit - Windows 10 64bit) (no 32 bit support apparently)

Just some of the more known OEM's that I know of. But I have found that, the driver DVD I bought for Windows 7 32 and 64 bit versions, is quite worthy in that, it offers the drivers for my particular laptop. plus some utilities to tell me what my hardware is should I have cranial flatulence. I'm in the process of downloading the applicable updates that I can and Hope I can simply keep on enjoying it. (I'm a nostalgia nut anyway)  Oh before I forget.. find out your wifi hardware BEFORE you go back to 7 and download the driver for it and burn it to a DVD/CD so when you install 7, you can install and get your internet up first. I suggest installing your drivers in this order:

1. Wifi or ethernet driver (so you get your inter up and running and download whatever else afterwards)

2. Graphics card. Some laptops have a discrete AND an integrated graphics system (ie Intel integrated 4600 and discrete Nvidia 770M)  so install both in any order.

3. Sound. not as important, but I know you audiophiles need your tunes... ;) 

4. then get into the deeper stuff like chipset drivers oh and USB. (hence why I said to put wifi driver on a DVD/CD) my usb didn't function until i installed my USB drivers. MS has default USB drivers but I wouldn't necessarily trust them.

all in all, we have advanced past Windows 7 and I thought I'd help some folks who want to go back to it, find their way. any questions, please, by all means PM me. * Don't ask me anything outside of legal discussions to keep within Neowin.net rules.

best regards,

Chrisj1968

Chris, take that aio DVD and fling it in the trash, malware and backdoors embedded in such things are not picked up by post setup anti virus mate ;) PM me and I'll send you a guide on how to make exactly that via your original media, it's very easy to do buddy, even if they are not sp1 I can show you how to slipstream before making your own all in one w7 setup media. 

As for drivers, I just use slimdrivers free or a free steam system driver app, haven't failed me yet personally or professionally.

If you want to try yourself the link below is a good guide to build your own all in one media mate.

Read More Here: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/how-to-create-an-all-in-one-windows-7-install-disk/

If you want x86 and x64 for w7 USB setup you'll need an 8gb stick and you can add your own driver folder for post install manual setup

Edited by Mando
  • Like 1