C# - SqlTransaction has completed

Question

Hi,

I'm having trouble with the code below used in a .Net 4.5.2 website. The error I get is that the sql transaction is no longer useable. I'm guessing the first insert is failing and the app isn't rolling back the transaction properly.

Secondly - the bizarre thing I can pass the exact same values from one machine that will work but from another machine it will not.

if you need more info ask away.

thanks.

using (SqlConnection connection = new SqlConnection(cs))
            {
                connection.Open();
                SqlCommand cmd = connection.CreateCommand();
                SqlTransaction tran;

tran = connection.BeginTransaction("sampleTransaction");

cmd.Connection = connection;
                cmd.Transaction = tran;

try
                {
                    cmd.CommandText = @"INSERT INTO dbo.sk_srf_headm(order_ref, customer, reason, returningSample, comments, submitted_by, dateReq, requested_by)
                                                     VALUES(@order_ref, @customer, @reason, @returning_sample, @comments, @submitted_by, @date_req, @requested_by)";
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@order_ref", order.orderRef);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@customer", order.customer);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@date_req", SqlDbType.DateTime).Value = order.dateReq;
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@reason", order.reason);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@returning_sample", order.returningSample);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@comments", order.comments);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@submitted_by", order.salesExec);
                    cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@requested_by", order.salesExecFor);
                    cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();

int line_no = 1;
                    foreach (orderItem item in order.Items.getItems())
                    {
                        cmd.CommandText = @"INSERT INTO dbo.sk_srf_detm(order_ref, line_no, product, description, quantity, oc_qty, freeStock, locations)
                                VALUES(@srfRef, @line_no, @product, @description, @quantity, @oc_qty, @freeStock, @locations)";
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@srfRef", order.orderRef);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@line_no", line_no);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@product", item.productNumber);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@description", item.description);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@quantity", item.quantity);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@oc_qty", item.oc_qty);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@freeStock", item.freeStock);
                        cmd.Parameters.AddWithValue("@locations", item.locations);
                        cmd.ExecuteNonQuery();
                        cmd.Parameters.Clear();
                        line_no++;
                    }
                    tran.Commit();
                    return true;
                }
                catch (Exception ex)
                {
                    try
                    {
                        tran.Rollback();                        
                    }
                    catch
                    {

}
                    return false;
                }
            }

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

Um, don't forget that if you have critical code in a Javascript button click event it will not execute if the user submits the form using the Enter key...

That isn't a client side click event. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

That isn't a client side click event. 

It's been so long since I have done the ancient ASP.NET WebForms with all of it's behind the scenes wizardry. That control will generate a payload of Javascript code to do all sorts of client-side things which presumably will handle the enter key along with a host of side effects that are version and patch level dependant and a whole host of other fun stuff like ViewState in the megabytes and gosh it was all an impressive accomplishment in some weird mad scientist kind of way that I still have a tiny soft spot in my heart for but would not be able to bring myself to actually use again because the mad scientist in me would also insist on a WPF XBAP payload which was the most beautiful thing you could deliver in a web browser and then HTML5 dumped the ugliest possible acid trip of cobbled together programming on us as a blight upon humanity for sins we couldn't possibly have committed...

Just an idle thought on <asp:Button runat="my brain" />