Wisdom Teeth Extracted

Hey Guys & Gals,

Monday I had my Wisdom Teeth pulled. Probably the worst experience of my life. So far, I'm off to a good start despite accidentally flushing the scabs off. In my defense, it looked like food was stuck there.

My question is; did anyone else have to re-train their tongue and re-learn how to talk? Because I'm struggling to talk normal, and it's been 5 full days, and I still talk like I'm special. Secondly, how long did your mouth stay numb? The tip of my tongue is still numb and it's driving me insane.

The numbness can last for a few weeks or even longer.  I wouldn't freak out about it yet ... and when you do ... talk to your dentist.

As far as talking ... you'll be fine.

Back in 1999, I had all 4 out at once. I don't remember my tongue being numb past the day it was done. I remember my mouth hurt and I remember  living off 500 mlg pain pills, but I don't remember talking funny.

One day I was in class, and thought I pad a piece of chicken caught in my teeth. As I pulled I realized I just pulled out a stitch.. oops. 

homer-doh.jpg

If it was a lower extraction, sometimes the mandibular nerve which lies in your jaw very close to the roots of the wisdom tooth get bruised or injured when the tooth is removed. This can lead to temporary or permanent numbness, and it is a common side effect of this type of surgery, how long it last depends on what actually happened to the nerve. You might call the oral surgeon or dentist who did the procedure on Monday if it's still a problem, and ask how you should proceed.

I had all four cut out (2 at a time) as a long time ago, but do not remember any of the thing you are talking about happening to me. That said, it was a long time ago and my wasted youth is starting to catch up with me!

Good Luck!

the real bad part is you can pain meds for about 2-3 days tops - but if the roots were twisted - or they had to pull out a little jawbone - the embedded bone shards in your gums will work themselves out for a week... try eating with razors stuck in your gums - oh the joyous memories.

When I had mine done - I called the dentist to tell them what was happening - about them not getting all of the bone and tooth fragments out and they were embedded into my gums.  The dental assistiant/ office manager's reply....  "Cowboy up - you're not getting more pain meds"

I blasted the hell out of them on social media - they called me and asked me to stop - told the dentist to "stop practicing - and I'll stop telling the truth" :D

Urgh. I need to take that road one day. They basically ache every 3 months for a week on end. And the pain is..well, huge. But I've been pushing it off as far as I can.

On 24/04/2016 at 6:13 AM, T3X4S said:

the real bad part is you can pain meds for about 2-3 days tops - but if the roots were twisted - or they had to pull out a little jawbone - the embedded bone shards in your gums will work themselves out for a week... try eating with razors stuck in your gums - oh the joyous memories.

Try a root canal where the anaesthesia didn't work at all, and the dentist ignored my screams...

Needless to say, said dentist was fired not long after... I probably should have sued, but I didn't think of it at the time... :s

• Like 2

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Try a root canal where the anaesthesia didn't work at all, and the dentist ignored my screams...

Needless to say, said dentist was fired not long after... I probably should have sued, but I didn't think of it at the time... :s

I metabolise the meds really efficiently, unfortunately. 

It's on my notes that i must be given a double dose of the good stuff, but do you think any new dentist pays any attention to that? Nope. Even when i explain it to them.

Thus i've had my fair share of horrific dentistry treatments i can tell you!

It's been a week as of today. My tip of my tongue is still slightly numb, and I still have pain. I'm down to about 5 5mg Oxycodone pills. After that it's tylenol and asprin. Which I've had to stop taking because I got a nasty nose bleed yesterday, that took forever to stop.

My wisdom teeth's roots were curved under my rear molars, I'm not sure how wisdom teeth extractions go, but I still want to die. I wish the healing part would go faster, I can eat soup without pain, oatmeal and things of that sort, but breads still hurt like hell.

The nastiest part; is the dragon's breath. When your dog refuses to come near you, you know it's bad. My mom's dog, which is part Irish Jack Russell Terrier, Beagle, and Basset Hound, she squeals when I get near her and runs like hell. =(

When I woke up after having mine taken out, I couldn't feel my tongue, but could tell something was jammed in my mouth.  Being drugged up, I panicked thinking I bit my tongue off and spit out what was a bloody bundle of gauze.  I eventually realized it wasn't my tongue and calmed down, but interesting story.

The healing process kind of sucked.  I never got dry socket, but it took several months for the damn holes to heal up, and it was pretty painful that whole time.

• Like 2

Did you have them surgically extracted (i.e: cut out) or they were already erupted and just pulled out? if surgically there is a chance you can get nerve damage in the nerve that runs down the bottom jaw if they are too close to it... I know mine they kept he bottom ones in because they said if they pulled them I'd lose feeling in part of my mouth if they damaged the nerve... for me the top ones they just pulled since they erupted before extraction (which is also fun, having someone literally push a tool into your tooth to loosen it, hearing the cracking of the connecting tissue as it rips.. then yanking it out... which for me didn't feel a thing, had no pain after... healed really fast... lots of blood though... didn't even get pain meds since there was zero pain...

surgical though there is almost always after pain.... and potential for numbness

4 hours ago, neufuse said:

Did you have them surgically extracted (i.e: cut out) or they were already erupted and just pulled out? if surgically there is a chance you can get nerve damage in the nerve that runs down the bottom jaw if they are too close to it... I know mine they kept he bottom ones in because they said if they pulled them I'd lose feeling in part of my mouth if they damaged the nerve... for me the top ones they just pulled since they erupted before extraction (which is also fun, having someone literally push a tool into your tooth to loosen it, hearing the cracking of the connecting tissue as it rips.. then yanking it out... which for me didn't feel a thing, had no pain after... healed really fast... lots of blood though... didn't even get pain meds since there was zero pain...

surgical though there is almost always after pain.... and potential for numbness

My gums had been receding for a few months if not a year already. They cut open the side of my gums, and pulled the tooth that way. I feel like crap most of the time, I think I'm getting an infection or something. I hope the next few weeks go by faster because it's affecting my ability to do my job, and homework.

4 hours ago, BinaryData said:

My gums had been receding for a few months if not a year already. They cut open the side of my gums, and pulled the tooth that way. I feel like crap most of the time, I think I'm getting an infection or something. I hope the next few weeks go by faster because it's affecting my ability to do my job, and homework.

lots of salt water gargling twice a day

• Like 1

I had a friend to suffered for at least 3 weeks before he would talk and look normal. So this ###### happen.

Doctors and Dentist are just like lawyers. A good one can save you from life of misery but a bad one can can really screw you over. 

Also you really need to watch what you eat and gargle salt and soda water as much as possible to avoid bacterial buildup. Dont rely of painkillers and antibiotics alone.

I assume you are on some serious antibiotics too.... ?

Also the usual stuff about nutrition and immune support apply.. You know, kyolic garlic pills. Oregano pills. Astragalus. Shizandra. And other antibacterial herbs or adaptogens can be helpful. 

But a basic salt and soda rinse done consistently is good too.

If you are on serious antibiotics, consider supplementing probiotics at the time you are not taking antibiotics. That will help you immune system hugely (as well as your digestion, as antibiotics kill a lit of good stuff as a side effect of killing the bad)

Had all 4 of mine extracted at once.  I was lucky tho, they were fully in for about 10 years or so before I had them removed.  They came in normally.  Just started having issues brushing them good enough and always a problem at the dentist.  One day, said ###### it and told the Dr to yank them.  Even tho I think it took about 10 min to do all 4, I paid extra and was knocked out.  They gassed me first with nitrous, good stuff, and then shot me up.  What was weird is the next thing I knew, I was at home sitting on my bed with a glass of water in my hand.  I have about an hour or so that I lost and do not remember.  Friend of mine took me home and said I was talking and walking around, but I remember none of it. 

Anyway, just take it slow dont rush it.  Dry socket I hear is the worse thing imaginable and very painful.  Like someone else said, rinse your mouth out with salt water and that will help a lot.  And keep eating soft foods.  I recovered pretty well after a few days, but again, mine came in right and popped out easily.  No stitches.  Never really had much pain.  Took pain meds for a day or so.  No bruising.

Edited by techbeck

11 hours ago, BinaryData said:

7 hours ago, neufuse said:

lots of salt water gargling twice a day

^ This is what you need to do. The salt water will kill any infections and also help with the dragon breath (which is caused by low grade infections).

EDIT: I'm actually quite astonished that your dentist didn't tell you this.  Mine always reminds me to do so if I have any work done. Google to see how strong you should make it and do NOT use a chemical mouthwash, under any circumstances as the pain it causes will be indescribable; a salt solution in warm water will be comfortable.

Edited by FloatingFatMan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Nik L said:

PLEASE make sure you keep the area clean.  I got infected, and ok so I have a high pain threshold but I was crying like a baby on the floor!

My gums are no longer scabbing. There's a tiny little hole, according to my mom (She's a nurse), it should close within the end of the week. Another week for them to fully heal, and another week after that and I can eat hard food again.

I've been doing the salt water mixture before I eat, and after I eat. 2 - 6 times a day. I have an incredibly low pain threshold, I missed my oxy by an hour, holy mother of Jesus almighty, felt like someone was slowly crushing my balls with needles.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

^ This is what you need to do. The salt water will kill any infections and also help with the dragon breath (which is caused by low grade infections).

EDIT: I'm actually quite astonished that your dentist didn't tell you this.  Mine always reminds me to do so if I have any work done. Google to see how strong you should make it and do NOT use a chemical mouthwash, under any circumstances as the pain it causes will be indescribable; a salt solution in warm water will be comfortable.

They said once or twice a day should suffice, however my mom smelled my breathe, and she said she'd rather eat rotten food than smell that again =/ It's mostly the back part of my tongue that's nasty, I can feel it. It's like slime in my mouth.

I made the mistake you just warned me of. My mouth felt fine, nothing wrong, no pain nothing. I drank a can of diet pepsi, no pain, felt good to have caffeine in me. I always wash my mouth out with mouth wash, so I followed normal suit, bad idea. VERY BAD idea. Gums started bleeding, gauze didn't work so I can to waste nice tea bags to get it to stop. Black Tea has a special drug/chemical, whatever you want to call it, that helps with bleeding. tastes like crap but it works like a charm. Stopped bleeding after about 15 minutes.

As to others who asked if I was on antibiotics or probiotics, nope.  None of them. My mom explained to me that the Health World is currently going through a phase/problem. Normally non-resistant strains are becoming resistant to antibiotics. So, the flu which normally only kills about 50 - 100 a year ( I think ), is becoming resistant towards the strains. Thus making it more deadly because our antibiotics don't work against it. Note: I used the Flu as an example, I'm not 100% sure if this is accurate or not, but that's the gist she gave me. So, Doctors aren't prescribing Antibiotics for simple things, unless I'm having surgery on an external part of my body, it's not going to happen. Even my buddy who just got stitches, (Fell off a ladder, and cut his leg open on a server rack), didn't get them. Their response "Neosporin" will do you better.

28 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

So, Doctors aren't prescribing Antibiotics for simple things

Too right too!

One of our biggest health issues in the modern world is due to the over prescription of antibiotics. 

Hope you start to feel better soon chum. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BinaryData said:

They said once or twice a day should suffice, however my mom smelled my breathe, and she said she'd rather eat rotten food than smell that again =/ It's mostly the back part of my tongue that's nasty, I can feel it. It's like slime in my mouth.

Yeah, that's being caused by low grade bacteria. The saline mouth rinse will take care of that, but you might want to do it 3-4 times a day minimum. It'll take a few days to clear it.

I made the mistake you just warned me of. My mouth felt fine, nothing wrong, no pain nothing. I drank a can of diet pepsi, no pain, felt good to have caffeine in me. I always wash my mouth out with mouth wash, so I followed normal suit, bad idea. VERY BAD idea. Gums started bleeding, gauze didn't work so I can to waste nice tea bags to get it to stop. Black Tea has a special drug/chemical, whatever you want to call it, that helps with bleeding. tastes like crap but it works like a charm. Stopped bleeding after about 15 minutes.

Poor you!  I hate chemical mouth washes myself.  I just gargle with a salt solution in warm water (do use warm, it's much gentler on the tender gums) then suck on a sugar free mint afterwards to clear the taste out.

I've had one out and it was pretty painless all things considered.

Numbness for me usually wears off within 2-4 hours but can feel 'different' for up to 24 hours. As for talking, since I only had 1 out, no major changes for me.

Strangely enough I get the odd time where I "feel like I have a sore tooth" from the area - even though it's long since sealed over...

13 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Too right too!

One of our biggest health issues in the modern world is due to the over prescription of antibiotics. 

Hope you start to feel better soon chum. 

Me too. I've gotta go back to work Thursday night. 

Well, It looks like I might have an infection. My mom seems to think it's because of the Diabetes/Cholesterol medication I'm on, that my immune system tanked. Doctor should've waited or started me on a smaller dosage. I'll be calling my surgeon and my doctor in the morning.

I had my removed when I was 18, no issues with soreness or anything afterwards. I remember that they gave me No2 as well as the Novocain and despite what everyone else had told me, I felt just fine and had no issues while on the gas!