UBC develops marijuana breathalyzer

Nicotine is unique in comparison to most drugs, as its profile changes from stimulant to sedative with increasing dosages and use, a phenomenon described by Paul Nesbitt in his doctoral dissertation and subsequently referred to as "Nesbitt's paradox."

Nicotine does have relaxant properties and that's not something you may want to experience while driving (as you need to stay alert ALL the time).

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

If you've never felt even a slight dizziness after smoking the first cig on an empty stomach in the morning, consider yourself to be lucky ones. Or, you're just lying.

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

You can all do an experiment on your own the next morning if you listen to your own bodies attentively and be honest with yourselves.

p.s. Benson & Hedges are among the most nausea-inducing cigs I've ever tried.

I do not think you have any right to to state or even imply that they are lying.  Just because you were affected in some way does not mean that other people have been.

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

Stay healthy or keep on killing yourselves (and enriching the tobacco companies). It's your choice. You are free to do with your own body whatever you want as long as you don't harm the others in the process. It's my fundamental belief.

And, by the way, all this time you've been arguing about my humble opinion.

Cheers!

Did you not read where they stated that they no longer smoke cigarettes?

Also, it is certainly not humble of you to think that others are lying essentially because their experience is different from yours.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ian W said:

I do not think you have any right to to state or even imply that they are lying.  Just because you were affected in some way does not mean that other people have been.

Did you not read where they stated that they no longer smoke cigarettes?

Also, it certainly is not very humble of you to think that others are lying essentially because their experience is different from yours.

Double-edged sword. I could say the same about them.

41 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Belief doesn't come into it, only fact. Nicotine has no affect on the cognitive functions. It can suppress your appetite, and it can speed your metabolism, but it has ZERO affect on your motor functions, your mental processes, or anything else in the quantities it's present in cigarettes.

If you have PROOF otherwise, present it.

It can kill you. There are such warnings on the Pack.

6 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Double-edged sword. I could say the same about them.

Really? I viewed their posts as sharing their own experience, complete with disbelief at your assertions.

You went as far as to suggest that they were lying to themselves simply because their experience differed from yours.

12 minutes ago, Ian W said:

Really? I viewed their posts as sharing their own experience, complete with disbelief at your assertions.

You went as far as to suggest that they were lying to themselves simply because their experience differed from yours.

So it's ok for them to make fun of my own experience, isn't it? Gotcha!

Nicotine acts as both a stimulant and a sedative. Immediately after exposure to nicotine, there is a "kick" caused in part by the drug's stimulation of the adrenal glands and resulting discharge of epinephrine (adrenaline). The rush of adrenaline stimulates the body, causing a sudden release of glucose as well as an increase in blood pressure, heart rate and respiration. Nicotine also suppresses insulin output from the pancreas, causing smokers to be slightly hyperglycemic. In addition, nicotine indirectly causes a release of dopamine in the brain regions that control pleasure and motivation. This reaction is similar to that seen with other abused drugs—such as cocaine and heroin—and is thought to underlie the pleasurable sensations many smokers experience. In contrast, nicotine can also exert a sedative effect, depending on the level of the smoker's nervous system arousal and the dose of nicotine taken.

Repeated exposure to nicotine results in the development of tolerance, the condition in which higher doses of a drug are required to produce the same initial effect. Nicotine is metabolized fairly rapidly, disappearing from the body in a few hours. Therefore some tolerance is lost overnight, and smokers often report that the first cigarettes of the day are the strongest and/or the "best." Tolerance progresses as the day develops, and later cigarettes have less effect.

47 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

However, and I can swear on this in court, there's a short period of time there when you do feel "stoned" and dizzy if it's your first morning cig. Call it a buzz or whatever.

Proof please.  As a former smoker of 20 years, I -never- experienced this, and neither has anyone I know who smokes.

Your word is not good enough. You're making a claim, prove it or retract.

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

So it's ok for them to make fun of my own experience, isn't it? Gotcha!

The very idea is absurd. In fact, it is because experiences differ that I believe that you are not lying. Do not put words in my mouth as they taste bad.

18 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

It can kill you. There are such warnings on the Pack.

That has nothing to do with this hypothetical "buzz" he claims he felt with his first smoke of the day.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Proof please.  As a former smoker of 20 years, I -never- experienced this, and neither has anyone I know who smokes.

Your word is not good enough. You're making a claim, prove it or retract.

I've already presented the proof.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That has nothing to do with this hypothetical "buzz" he claims he felt with his first smoke of the day.

I hear tell that there is a tad of a buzz at death.:rofl: BTW: Nicotine is a stimulant so some people may get a small buzz.

2 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I've already presented the proof.

No, you presented a link to a study that showed many smokers felt more satisfaction from the first smoke of the day. Not that they became dizzy or could affect their driving, which it does not.  If it DID, smoking whilst driving would be illegal.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

No, you presented a link to a study that showed many smokers felt more satisfaction from the first smoke of the day. Not that they became dizzy or could affect their driving, which it does not.  If it DID, smoking whilst driving would be illegal.

Are you really this ignorant of the term "sedative"?

Just now, Mirumir said:

Are you really this ignorant of the term "sedative"?

And are you really this blind and stubborn?

It's not sedative enough to make you sleep, furthermore.. Your "claim" was that it made you dizzy and therefore dangerous to drive. It. Does. Not.

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

And are you really this blind and stubborn?

It's not sedative enough to make you sleep, furthermore.. Your "claim" was that it made you dizzy and therefore dangerous to drive. It. Does. Not.

I don't care.

Have a good and healthy life.

The few times I smoked cigarettes, I had a head change and did get dizzy; but perhaps this is because I was new and my body reacted to a foreign substance. Someone who regularly smokes or had smoked a lot, I wouldn't really think they would get that head-change anymore.

I also had the same reaction to dip/chew so I dunno, maybe my body just really doesnt agree with nicotine, i never picked up the habit so i dont know if it would have gone away or if I would have been used to it/had a higher tolerance. 

Well, i guess i shouldve read the title to the thread, the last page that i read was talking about cigarettes and head-changes, lol, sorry I wasnt on topic of the thread. d'oh!

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

OK, so, how do you figure that? Smoking has no deleterious affects on ones cognitive functions...

It depletes Testosterone's and makes men impotent, also causes hair loss, cancer (especially in mouth and testis aka balls). 

Just now, Yoshimitsu said:

It depletes Testosterone's and makes men impotent, also causes hair loss, cancer (especially in mouth and testis aka balls). 

Again, nothing to do with his claims whatsoever.

Just now, FloatingFatMan said:

Again, nothing to do with his claims whatsoever.

I am just stating known "facts". You'll find out soon if you are a smoker. 

Just now, Yoshimitsu said:

I am just stating known "facts". You'll find out soon if you are a smoker. 

Still nothing to do with Miru's claims that smoking affects driving, which it doesn't.  You and he can reach all you like, you're not going to win this one.