UBC develops marijuana breathalyzer

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Still nothing to do with Miru's claims that smoking affects driving, which it doesn't.  You and he can reach all you like, you're not going to win this one.

It can kill you while you drive. You could burn yourself lighting one, or you could get choked or you can get distracted while driving. 

1 minute ago, Yoshimitsu said:

It can kill you while you drive. You could burn yourself lighting one, or you could get chocked or you can get distracted while driving. 

You could also trip on the way to the car and brain yourself.

You could also sneeze and hit a car. Lets make sneezing illegal.

• Like 2

Just now, Yoshimitsu said:

It can kill you while you drive. You could burn yourself lighting one, or you could get choked or you can get distracted while driving. 

Yeah, you keep on reaching and moving those goalposts buddy. You're still failin'.

• Like 2

Just now, adrynalyne said:

You could also trip on the way to the car and brain yourself.

You could also sneeze and hit a car.

its not common that you trip every few min like you smoke cigarettes

You don't sneeze every 10 min bro. 

Just now, Yoshimitsu said:

its not common that you trip every few min like you smoke cigarettes

You don't sneeze every 10 min bro. 

It only takes once, "bro".

5 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

oh, you gonna love this one.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/nicotine-side-effects.html

How does blurred vision sound?

Nervous system side effects have been reported in 3% to 12% of patients. These have included lightheadedness, headache, sleep disturbances, abnormal dreams, irritability, dizziness, and tremor. Stroke due to severe cerebral artery vasospasm has been reported in a patient with a recent history of subarachnoid hemorrhage shortly after applying a 10 mg nicotine patch.[Ref]

OK, so 3-12%, no wonder I've never heard of it, that's a pretty insignificant percentage that may experience such things. You're probably more susceptible than most.  Still, if it were an actual concern, smokers wouldn't be allowed to smoke and drive, so clearly it isn't.

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

OK, so, how do you figure that? Smoking has no deleterious affects on ones cognitive functions...

Perhaps he is talking about literally being on fire? /s

OK, so 3-12%, no wonder I've never heard of it, that's a pretty insignificant percentage that may experience such things. You're probably more susceptible than most.  Still, if it were an actual concern, smokers wouldn't be allowed to smoke and drive, so clearly it isn't.

Now you are just trying to belittle the facts. Typical.

Heck, even 1% is a lot. In a city of one million, that's 10,000.

Still, if it were an actual concern, smokers wouldn't be allowed to smoke and drive, so clearly it isn't.

Keep sticking your head in the sand and once you pull it out, read up on pro-tobacco lobby.

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

oh, you gonna love this one.

http://www.drugs.com/sfx/nicotine-side-effects.html

How does blurred vision sound?

from the link -

If any of the following side effects occur while taking nicotine, check with your doctor immediately:

Less common

Blurred vision

dizziness

headache

nervousness

pounding in the ears

Depending on how much you yourself smoke, you may very well experience short term effects from the first cigarette of the day, however for others it may not be so noticeable.  People have differing levels of nicotine depending on many factors; how often they smoke, the amount of nicotine (which varies depending on brand and type of cigarettes) etc.  Your experiences are your own.  By the way I smoked for 36 years and, speaking for myself, did not have any issues with the first cigarette of the day.  I finally quit Feb. 3, 2007 after a serious health scare, one of the best things I ever did for myself.

6 minutes ago, Raze said:

Depending on how much you yourself smoke, you may very well experience short term effects from the first cigarette of the day,

That's actually exactly what I've been arguing about right from the start, about having a "kick" from the very first cig in the morning before breakfast.

I wonder if this device will have to be tested and certified before it can be adopted for use by law enforcement.  And what would be the levels/concentrations used to be considered impaired?

4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Maybe it's all the mind control drugs in your Russian cigarettes? :p

4 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

What kind of cigarettes are they selling in Russia?  

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Indeed.  It's probably Russian cigarettes.

Make fun of Russia when you don't have an argument. +1

https://www.tobaccofreekids.org/press_releases/post/2014_06_23_report

In 2012, $9.17 billion was spent on advertising and promotion of cigarettes—more than $25 million every day, or more than $1 million every hour. CDC

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

....and not one thing in that link about operating a motor vehicle while smoking.

hmmmmm....wonder why?

Please note...we are not arguing the fact that cigarettes are bad for you ... we are countering your preposterous opinion that cigarettes "can significantly worsen one's ability to drive".

Just now, jjkusaf said:

....and not one thing in that link about operating a motor vehicle while smoking.

hmmmmm....wonder why?

Please note...we are not arguing the fact that cigarettes are bad for you ... we are countering your preposterous opinion that cigarettes "can significantly worsen one's ability to drive".

You're late, scroll up a few posts if you are still in denial.

4 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

OK, so, how do you figure that? Smoking has no deleterious affects on ones cognitive functions...

Agreed. Nicotine is a psychostimulant. Psychostimulants -- when used in moderation and not to ward off sleep for extended periods of time (including amphetamines)  can sort of enhance motor function and reaction time. Though if you use psychostimulants (especially amphetamines) without sleeping then it becomes a detriment. 

I use Nicotine (as HCl base)  18mg/mL  dissolved in Propylene Glycol USP and Vegetable Glycerin USP in a personal vaporizer for appetite suppression and to give myself pep. 

I'm a firm believer in "better living through chemistry" but as with all vices -- if you partake it's best to use in moderation. Not all mind altering substances impair motor function and whatnot. Some can improve it. 

RE: This article though. Indeed, there is adequate evidence to show that cannabis DOES impair motor function and reaction time. So I agree with prohibiting motorists from being under the influence of it while operating a motor vehicle. 

Just now, Mirumir said:

You're late, scroll up a few posts if you are still in denial.

No...I've read and still do not see anything that backs up your claim.  Point to a study where accidents have occurred as a direct result of smoking cigarettes affecting your ability to drive.

Just give up already.  You point to nicotine as being a sedative ... yet wouldn't you think the more you smoke the sleepier you'd get though out the day (as you increase your nicotine dosage) ... vs. just the first cigarette of the day.  Your reasoning just doesn't add up ... because they don't "significantly worsen one's ability to drive".

30 minutes ago, Raze said:

I wonder if this device will have to be tested and certified before it can be adopted for use by law enforcement.  And what would be the levels/concentrations used to be considered impaired?

(Y) 

I wonder about the differences in concentration between smoking and vaping (talking about MJ).

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

No...I've read and still do not see anything that backs up your claim.  Point to a study where accidents have occurred as a direct result of smoking cigarettes affecting your ability to drive.

Just give up already.  You point to nicotine as being a sedative ... yet wouldn't you think the more you smoke the sleepier you'd get though out the day (as you increase your nicotine dosage) ... vs. just the first cigarette of the day.  Your reasoning just doesn't add up ... because they don't "significantly worsen one's ability to drive".

It's simpler than that.

Reading and comprehension.

7 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

It's simpler than that.

Reading and comprehension.

Hmm...that is your comeback?  haha...ok.  You know nicotine is also a pesticide which is why you should smoke more if you house gets infested with bugs ... it'll wipe them all out.  /s

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Agreed.   There are a lot of other things that can cause dizziness, nausea and other side effects that are perfectly fine and proven to have no impact or concern while drive.   Maybe not being able to talk to anyone, drink soda, or take advil (which causes dizziness in a small percentage of people) while driving should be enforced as well. When the percentage of a substance having a negative impact on the person becomes to high, then it becomes a concern and deemed illegal.  Like marijuana.  Which I fully support the breathalyzer for detecting if someone is to high.  Specially since it is becoming legal in more and more places. 

3 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Hmm...that is your comeback?  haha...ok.  You know nicotine is also a pesticide which is why you should smoke more if you house gets infested with bugs ... it'll wipe them all out.  /s

The Russian way of dealing with house (and country) invaders is to freeze them out.

5 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

You know nicotine is also a pesticide which is why you should smoke more if you house gets infested with bugs ... it'll wipe them all out.  /s

Damn, next time I have issues with spiders, I will try this.  Thanks for the tip.  :p