Outlook - email server download problem and email stuck in outbox

I have Office 2013; OS is Win 7. I've been having problems with Outlook:

1)  It sometimes fails to download an email from the server though others do come through. It may be downloading but not showing them.

2)  A large (11M) email is stuck in my outbox. It won't send, and I cannot delete or move it.

3)  I am often asked to enter user name and password for the outbound server after sending an email.

4)  I often get "A communication error occurred during the last request - - unable to connect to remote server." I don't know if this is from Outlook or some other application.

I'd be very grateful for any advice I can get. Thank you for reading this.

Outlook does have a limit as to the size of an attachment can be. Check your options. I used outlook 2010 for years and never had it ask for a password. Also check your account settings with your ISP.

Thank you for the advice.

I find no way in Outlook to check any options.

The repair option did nothing. I tried the "clean up" for the outbox, but it couldn't move the stuck message to the deleted items file.

The 11M message remains stuck.

The only other thing I can think of to try is to save your .pst folder and reinstall outlook then copy back the .pst folder. Just foe safety's sake you should also backup the .pab folder

3 hours ago, helpifIcan said:

The only other thing I can think of to try is to save your .pst folder and reinstall outlook then copy back the .pst folder. Just foe safety's sake you should also backup the .pab folder

Thank you - but where can I find Outlook for a free download?

"Work offline" in Outlook, and you should be able to delete the offending message from your outbox.

For future reference, maybe try splitting up attachments and such into chunks less than 5MB and send multiple emails with those... or consider using One Drive or Dropbox to store the files and send a link to those files. Even though you may be able to send larger ones, there's no guarantee the recipients can receive them.

6 hours ago, abecedarian paradoxious said:

"Work offline" in Outlook, and you should be able to delete the offending message from your outbox.

Working offline worked - I was able to delete it. THANK YOU so much!

1 hour ago, Howard Davis said:

Working offline worked - I was able to delete it. THANK YOU so much!

You're welcome. ;)

FWIW, Outlook itself has no user-controlled setting regarding how large an outgoing email message can be; that is controlled by the email servers. My organization limits emails, both incoming and outgoing, to 25MB, but we often deal with others that are limited to 10MB or less and the only notification we get about that is if and when the recipient's server pukes back to us that the email is too large. Often, we don't even get that notification so we think the message went through even though it didn't. We've learned to keep things outside of our organization to under 10MB... well actually under 9MB since the headers and such add to the message size.

That being said, sometimes the servers will time-out if the message isn't transferred within some period of time and that can lead to odd behavior.