Man stabs his 16-year-old sister to death in Pakistan 'honour killing' - because she was using a mobile phone

Man stabs his 16-year-old sister to death in Pakistan ‘honour killing’ - because she was using a mobile phone
* Hayat Khan, 20, stabbed his sister Sumaira, 16, with a kitchen knife
* He attacked her in Karachi because she was using a mobile phone
* 'It is very sad, I wish I could also die,' he said from a prison cell
* His father said: 'What is done is done' and said he had forgiven his son

By Afp and Chris Summers For Mailonline
Published: 10:40 EST, 28 April 2016 | Updated: 12:57 EST, 28 April 2016

A Pakistani man used a kitchen knife to murder his sister after flying into a rage when he caught her using a mobile phone.
Hayat Khan, 20, attacked his 16-year-old sister Sumaira at their home in the Orangi Town neighbourhood of Karachi on Wednesday.
Senior police officer Azfar Mahesar said the brother later threw her out of the house where she lay on the steps as neighbours gathered to help.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3563679/Pakistan-police-arrest-man-honour-killing-sister.html

There is a side to this story which has been overlooked and (in daily mail fashion) under emphasized.

Only last week I read a case where an honor killing had taken place in a village in Pakistan where the killer(s) had been lot off free due to a loophole in the law, which lets them off if the family forgive them. In this case however, the police have made the unusual decision to bring the case before the court themselves. This means that the family forgiving the son, does not mean the case is closed outside of court. Instead the son will at LEAST go before a judge.

Whilst this doesn't mean the son will face what the west would see as a "proper" sentence, it is a step in the right direction for Pakistan law and order and refreshing to see their police starting to really take their jobs more seriously.

Will be interesting to see the outcome of this case and hopefully see that loophole closed off entirely in future!