MacBook Pro Mid-2010 Screen Brightness Flicker Issue

Hi folks, recently i have had a few issues with my MacBook Pro screen with regards to the brightness flickering at certain times.

It's not all the time and its hard to pin-point if there is a trigger, I've tried isolating each graphics card and it happens with them both in use.

Ive reset the PRAM and the SMC and it seems to go for a while but then come back... i really don't want to have to buy a new MBP as i cannot afford it... and after looking into a replacement screen it seems rather difficult to DIY it.

Has anyone here every experienced this or know any one who has and if there was a fix that isn't as drastic on the wallet as the ones mentioned above?

Dan

• 7 months later...

Without seeing exactly the issue it's difficult to be 100% accurate, but from your description it sounds like the inverter for the screen is on the way out.  This is the circuitry that's responsible for generating the power to run the backlight and light up the screen.  Do the symptoms occur more or less frequently if you adjust the angle of the lid?  If so it could be the cable that's on the way out.

I believe the inverter is replaceable separately to the screen (again, this would depend on the exact model of MacBook you have).  If it's the cable, again that's even cheaper than the inverter.  Either way is cheaper than replacing the screen but it will cost you money for the surgery required.