RAF Jets Fly On Baltic Policing Mission

Four RAF Typhoon Jets have been put on 24/7 standby, allowing them to respond to Quick Reaction Alerts. This means that, in the event of any aggression from Russia, the jets can be launched immediately, and will cover the Baltic states, including:

• Latvia
  • Estonia
  • Lithuania

The jets will be able to take off at a moments notice.

This isn't the first time the RAF has been involved in the Baltic policing:

Last time, Typhoon fighters were scrambled 17 times, and intercepted over 40 Russian aircraft. During one launch last July, the Typhoons intercepted 10 separate Russian aircraft, including eight fighters.

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-jets-fly-on-baltic-policing-mission-29042016

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

File under "NATO needs a boogeyman to justify its very existence".

No, instead file this under Standard Operating Procedure as Russia continually prods our airspace.

2 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

No, instead file this under Standard Operating Procedure as Russia continually prods our airspace.

You'd think by now that these fools would get the hint that Putin really is the bad guy here and stop kissing his ass, but yet sadly as we see here that is not the case yet, waiting for the rest of the usual types to pop in any moment with more nonsense 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Riva said:

Russia doesn't really enter UK airspace, they just fly by

They fly close enough that the RAF scrambles a couple of jets to ward them off. As soon as they make radar contact, the Russians usually veer off. They've been doing this for decades, so this article is really nothing new at all.  It's SOP.

How often do you hear about a NATO/US ships or planes coming close to Russia's borders? You don't. Your "free" and "always objective" media never tell you about it.

p.s. The original title is "RAF Jets Fly On Baltic Policing Mission"

‘Stay away from Russian borders or keep transponders on’: Russian MoD on US spy planes in Baltics

Russian Defense Ministry suggests US surveillance planes should either keep their distance from Russian borders while performing flights over the Baltic Sea, or at least keep aerial transponders switched on for identification.

There are two solutions for the US Air Force [operating in the Baltic Sea]: either do not fly near our borders, or turn on transponders for automatic identification by our radars,” Defense Ministry spokesman Major-General Igor Konashenkov said in an official statement on Saturday.

The statement comes after a Russian fighter jet intercepted a US surveillance plane, which was spotted in international airspace above the Baltic Sea on Friday with the transponder switched off.

The RC-135U reconnaissance plane is frequently trying to sneak up to the Russian border with the transponder off. Our anti-aircraft defense has to order our fighters off the ground simply to visually identify the type of aircraft and its ID number,” Konashenkov explained.

A Russian Sukhoi Su-27 performed a barrel roll within 25 feet from the US plane, with the Pentagon describing the move as “dangerous” and “unprofessional.”

We are already starting to get used to insults coming from the Pentagon regarding the alleged “unprofessional” maneuvers when our fighters intercept the US spy planes near Russian borders.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Nik L said:

This from someone who suggested that their government didn't employ propaganda as per the rest of the world.

I don't care what you think. Enjoy your own homegrown propaganda.

1 minute ago, Mirumir said:

I don't care what you think. Enjoy your own homegrown propaganda.

Translation: Fingers in ears, "lalalalalalalalalalalala"

• Like 3

By Patrick Buchanan

Why Russia Resents Us

Friday, a Russian SU-27 did a barrel roll over a U.S. RC-135 over the Baltic, the second time in two weeks.

Also in April, the U.S. destroyer Donald Cook, off Russia’s Baltic enclave of Kaliningrad, was twice buzzed by Russian planes.

Vladimir Putin’s message: Keep your spy planes and ships a respectable distance away from us. Apparently, we have not received it.

Friday, Deputy Secretary of Defense Robert Work announced that 4,000 NATO troops, including two U.S. battalions, will be moved into Poland and the Baltic States, right on Russia’s border.

"The Russians have been doing a lot of snap exercises right up against the border with a lot of troops," says Work, who calls this "extraordinarily provocative behavior."

But how are Russian troops deploying inside Russia "provocative," while U.S. troops on Russia’s front porch are not? And before we ride this escalator up to a clash, we had best check our hole card.

"Russia has not accepted the hand of partnership," says NATO commander, Gen. Philip Breedlove, "but has chosen a path of belligerence."

But why should Putin see NATO’s inexorable eastward march as an extended "hand of partnership"?

Had we lost the Cold War and Russian spy planes began to patrol off Pensacola, Norfolk and San Diego, how would U.S. F-16 pilots have reacted? If we awoke to find Mexico, Canada, Cuba, and most of South America in a military alliance against us, welcoming Russian bases and troops, would we regard that as "the hand of partnership"?

We are reaping the understandable rage and resentment of the Russian people over how we exploited Moscow’s retreat from empire.

Did we not ourselves slap aside the hand of Russian friendship, when proffered, when we chose to embrace our "unipolar moment," to play the "great game" of empire and seek "benevolent global hegemony"?

If there is a second Cold War, did Russia really start it?

Just now, Mirumir said:

The more you post this sort of stuff (and for the record, I don't wholly dispute all of it), the more you undermine your claim that the Russian government doesn't utilise propaganda techniques (again: as per the rest of the world).  In fact, you outright suggest that they are.

3 hours ago, Jack W said:

Four RAF Typhoon Jets have been put on 24/7 standby, allowing them to respond to Quick Reaction Alerts. This means that, in the event of any aggression from Russia, the jets can be launched immediately, and will cover the Baltic states, including:

The QRA is permanent, it wasn't just stood up. It's ALWAYS there, it's part of NATO policy. In other words, sky is blue, sun is hot and I like vanilla ice cream. Non-news event. 

• Like 1

how much money that Russian and UK needed to fly those things?

with cheap oil price, I imagine its a good time for Russian to start somekind economic attrition war (against the UK) using that jets.

10 minutes ago, Nik L said:

The more you post this sort of stuff (and for the record, I don't wholly dispute all of it), the more you undermine your claim that the Russian government doesn't utilise propaganda techniques (again: as per the rest of the world).  In fact, you outright suggest that they are.

Patrick Joseph "Pat" Buchanan (/bjuːˈkænᵻn/; born November 2, 1938) is an American paleoconservative political commentator, author, syndicated columnist, politician and broadcaster. Buchanan was a senior advisor to U.S. Presidents Richard Nixon, Gerald Ford and Ronald Reagan, and was an original host on CNN's Crossfire. He sought the Republican presidential nomination in 1992 and 1996. He ran on the Reform Party ticket in the 2000 presidential election.

Must be on the Kremlin's payroll...

4 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Must be on the Kremlin's payroll...

Is entirely NOT what I said, and such comments suggest that you don't even understand what propaganda is, and yet you choose to use the phrase "homegrown"

26 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That's rather rich, coming from you...

Gone to collect my pay-check. Will reply after receiving new instructions.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack W said:

• Latvia
  • Estonia
  • Lithuania

The jets will be able to take off at a moments notice.

This isn't the first time the RAF has been involved in the Baltic policing:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/news/archive/raf-jets-fly-on-baltic-policing-mission-29042016

Translation: Nothing's changed here. Carry on.

9 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Gone to collect my pay-check. Will reply after receiving new instructions.

Given Occam's Razor, this is far more likely than some kind of grand conspiracy between all the major western governments and the many free and independent news organisations who are apparently under their direct control.

1 minute ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Given Occam's Razor, this is far more likely than some kind of grand conspiracy between all the major western governments and the many free and independent news organisations who are apparently under their direct control.

ROFL.

Believe your fairy-tales.

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

ROFL.

Believe your fairy-tales.

Translation: I haven't a ####### clue what i'm talking about

Edited by Jason S.
  • Like 3

Giving up.  This guy has his head so far in the sand of the Russian governments propaganda machine, that he isn't aware it exists.  Any response given shows this, and moreover shows a lack of comprehension as to how propaganda even works.

Accusations that I am buying into mine are laughable - I recognise that EVERY country uses it, I see it a mile off and yet yes I am swayed by that which I don't instantly recognise - but at least I acknowledge that it's in use.  Denying that Russia uses propaganda simply shows how well it's working.  The argument that I only even suggest that he has been swayed by propaganda because I believe my government's propaganda is the weakest argument ever.

Done, because I don't see value in arguing with a drone.