stuck on acquiring address network

I have a laptop os windows xp thats not connecting properly to my modem but will connect to neighbors modem,

It will show acquiring  address network when connecting to my modem, but when i try the neighbors it will show connection. 

My desktop with os windows 7 is hardwired and working fine.

This is a scooby-doo mystery...help

I've seen some devices just not like certain APs.  Have you tried setting IP settings statically?  Updating laptop drivers?  Plugging in the laptop wired?

to farmeunit

I plugged the ethernet cord into my laptop and everything works fine.

I have an asus eee pc.

Is there a site i can go to update my drivers?

Other devices connect to modem except my asus laptop.

What is APs?

What is a cable modem? I wanna make sure we're on the same page.

Disclaimer: i am not computer savvy so bare with me please.:rofl:  

Edited by dumb dumb

Is it running Linux?  I used to have an HP Mini and there was a bug in Linux the it couldn't connect to wireless with a space or underscore....  I can't remember which.  AP is just wireless, more or less.  Cable is usually just what connects you to internet.  Typically you'll have a router connected, but a few have built-in.

Edited by farmeunit
Missed the XP part :)

Notebook.  Assuming your are trying to connect wirelessly?  What operating system ... Win 7?

When connecting to your router ... have you selected "Troubleshoot Problems" by right clicking on the wireless icon (see below) and then going through the various tools?

Capture.JPG

Have you tried going to the command prompt (Start menu > type cmd) and doing the following (longshot)

ipconfig /flushdns 
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

You can also go to Start > type services.msc > locate and double click DHCP Client and make sure it Service status shows Started and Startup type shows automatic.

You can also try resetting TCP/IP by this Microsoft tool...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/299357

Just some thoughts without knowing what OS you're running

5 hours ago, dumb dumb said:

I have a laptop os windows xp thats not connecting properly to my modem but will connect to neighbors modem,

It will show acquiring  address network when connecting to my modem, but when i try the neighbors it will show connection. 

Well, honestly, you should upgrade to Windows 7 or something. Hell, I could give you a Windows 7 Key, so you can upgrade to 10 if you wanted too.

We recently had our Jumpbox we use for configurations, it was dropped, and we asked to get a replacement. Yeah, they lost their marbles. Should really consider upgrading the OS.

12 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Well, honestly, you should upgrade to Windows 7 or something. Hell, I could give you a Windows 7 Key, so you can upgrade to 10 if you wanted too.

We recently had our Jumpbox we use for configurations, it was dropped, and we asked to get a replacement. Yeah, they lost their marbles. Should really consider upgrading the OS.

haha...totally glazed over that XP part.  Yea...the stuff I put in my post should still apply.  I believe XP...you could right click and there would be a troubleshooter.  If not -- Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on the wireless connection and hit repair ... and see what happens.

The only difference ... I guess is going to Start > Run  (for cmd and services.msc )  If services.msc doesn't work then ... Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services and check the DHCP Client (I think it was there in XP services).

(Start menu > run > type cmd) and doing the following (longshot)

ipconfig /flushdns 
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

You can also try resetting TCP/IP by this Microsoft tool (get the one for XP)...

Man...seems like ages since I've used XP.  Also agree with Binary about getting at least 7 on there ... or repurpose it as a Linux notebook.  If you do put the XP on the net ... I wouldn't have anything critical on it (like banking info, personal files, etc.) ... with Microsoft not patching it now ... who knows how vulnerable it is.

2 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

haha...totally glazed over that XP part.  Yea...the stuff I put in my post should still apply.  I believe XP...you could right click and there would be a troubleshooter.  If not -- Control Panel > Network Connections > right click on the wireless connection and hit repair ... and see what happens.

The only difference ... I guess is going to Start > Run  (for cmd and services.msc )  If services.msc doesn't work then ... Start, click Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Services

(Start menu > run > type cmd) and doing the following (longshot)

ipconfig /flushdns 
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset

You can also try resetting TCP/IP by this Microsoft tool (get the one for XP)...

Man...seems like ages since I've used XP.  Also agree with Binary about getting at least 7 on there ... or repurpose it as a Linux notebook.  If you do put the XP on the net ... I wouldn't have anything critical on it (like banking info, personal files, etc.) ... with Microsoft not patching it now ... who knows how many potential vulnerabilities it has now.

Yup. If you don't want to run 7, or anything higher, Linux Mint or Ubuntu are great alternatives. Almost everything you could do on Windows XP, can be done on Linux for relatively no cost. :) The joy of Linux!

So this works when you use a wire, just doesn't work wireless? But wireless works on your neighbors wifi.

What are you wifi settings?  WPA, WPA2 tkip or aes ?  For all we know your neighbor is running wep or open or wpa1 and your running wpa2 and your OLD laptop running OLD os does not support WAP2 ??

Are you 2.4 or 5ghz N or AC?  Please post up the details of your wifi router/modem/isp device whatever you want to call it..  ("modems" don't do wifi -- if its wifi its either a router or a gateway) And its wifi settings.  I would try changing your wifi security to open.  Does it work then with your xp laptop?  But when you set it back to what you were using before doesn't work?

• 1 month later...
On 08.05.2016 at 4:31 AM, dumb dumb said:

Looks like you didn't get any IP address from your modem.

Do you have the same problem with the other devices and that modem as well?

Can you check if you receive the auto-tuned address like 169.254.x.x on your laptop after that?

You'll need to try reset your modem and configure it again if possible.

Take a look on the DHCP server settings. You also can check if your laptop is configured to use DHCP on your LAN connection as well.

Look here for more examples how to do that.