http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070

EXPANSIVE EMPIRES: See the marvels of your empire spread across the map like never before. Each city spans multiple tiles so you can custom build your cities to take full advantage of the local terrain.

ACTIVE RESEARCH: Unlock boosts that speed your civilization’s progress through history. To advance more quickly, use your units to actively explore, develop your environment, and discover new cultures.

DYNAMIC DIPLOMACY: Interactions with other civilizations change over the course of the game, from primitive first interactions where conflict is a fact of life, to late game alliances and negotiations.

COMBINED ARMS: Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

ENHANCED MULTIPLAYER: In addition to traditional multiplayer modes, cooperate and compete with your friends in a wide variety of situations all designed to be easily completed in a single session.

A CIV FOR ALL PLAYERS: Civilization VI provides veteran players new ways to build and tune their civilization for the greatest chance of success. New tutorial systems introduce new players to the underlying concepts so they can easily get started

-----

Some early info from Digital Trends:

Sid Meier’s venerable Civilization franchise has been an unassailable cornerstone of PC gaming for decades. Charting the story of a nation from the stone age to the space age, Civilization remixes the empires, figures, and accomplishments of human history into a fresh alternate universe for every game, encompassing one of the most ambitious scopes in all strategy games.

Through its stellar expansions and vibrant modding community, six-year-old Civ V is more playable now than ever, but it’s time to restart history with a clean slate. Enter Civilization VI, coming to PC on October 21, 2016.

We recently spoke with lead designer Ed Beach to get a first taste of how he and his team at Firaxis have been reinventing the wheel once again. Beach is no stranger to the series, having lead development on both of Civ V’s major expansions (Gods and Kings and Brave New World).

This land is your land

No longer crammed into a single tile, cities will now be able to luxuriate across the map with specialized districts. These will contain relevant buildings and boost the city in particular areas. For instance, a campus district for the library and university will increase a city’s science output. These bonuses can be enhanced even further through terrain adjacency bonus, such as placing a campus district next to mountains or rainforest for a scientific research boost, or an industrial district next to mines and quarries to increase production.

Wonders now also exist on the map, each taking up their own tile. Placement requirements for each wonder, such as the Pyramids needing a desert or Stonehenge needing a flat grassland, further complicate the puzzle of laying out each city.

Continues...

-----

RPS:

As if 2016 didn’t already contain a rich enough seam of strategy games, Firaxis announce today that Civilization VI will be released on October 21st. Development duties are in the hands of the team behind Civ V’s expansions, Gods & Kings and Brave New World, and when we spoke to designer Ed Beach and associate producer Sarah Darney last week to learn all the details, they told us that almost every system from the complete Civ V will be included in the sequel: trade routes, religious systems, archaeology…there’ll be no need to wait for expansions, it’s all in the base game.

The game is running on a brand new suite of software, built to be far more mod-friendly than its predecessor, and as well as brand new AI systems, there are a host of new mechanics that will explore and emphasise your relationship with Civ’s greatest character: the map.

The most immediately notable change in Civ V as compared to IV lay in the handling of military units. No longer could armies be stacked one on top of another, taking up space in the same tile. As well as preventing the creation of ‘doom stacks’, single-tile armies of formidable strength that encouraged mass production of military units for both defense and attack, Civ V’s approach allowed for tactical combat utilising features of the map. Strong defensive units could be placed around weaker units with ranged weapons, and deploying around rivers and mountains was more involved than previously.

Continues...

-----

:drool:

Hmm...as much as I enjoy the Civilization series, I'm not sure if I'll be getting this. I'll keep an eye on it and see what it offers that previous games haven't.

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Hmm...as much as I enjoy the Civilization series, I'm not sure if I'll be getting this. I'll keep an eye on it and see what it offers that previous games haven't.

Actually, Nick H., the changes merely on the military and city-structure/urban side are overdue in the RTS in general (organic defensive units, and using landmass features sensibly for building); what is, in fact, rather unsurprising is that Team Meier is, once again, first out of the gate in actually applying them.  (Look at what was done in the last two versions  - Civ IV and V - that were first for the RTS merely in general.)

Notice I didn't say "due", but "overdue".

1 minute ago, Crisp said:

Wait... didn't one just come out?

No - it was an add-on/DLC for Civ V.

Just now, Crisp said:

Beyond Earth was an add-on?

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it could also be played as a standalone game. However, if you played Civ V and got the space race victory, it would ask you about picking up Beyond Earth to continue the game.

2 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

I'm not 100% sure, but I think it could also be played as a standalone game. However, if you played Civ V and got the space race victory, it would ask you about picking up Beyond Earth to continue the game.

Ah ok, cheers. I never bought it as it had naff reviews but it just didn't seem that long ago it came out - makes sense now.

14 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

they caught me with that last POS they released Beyond earth, even Civ 5 wasn't up to much till the expansion packs patched the missing features that should have been in from release. they won't be catching me again. I'll wait 12 months and see what the reviews say then buy CIV 6 if it's got decent reviews12 and 75% off.  I'll never pay full retail price for a Civ game again. :(

17 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

No - it was an add-on/DLC for Civ V.

13 minutes ago, Crisp said:

Beyond Earth was an add-on?

11 minutes ago, Nick H. said:

Civ: Beyond Earth is a different series; A spiritual successor to Alpha Centauri.

they are looking £50 on steam for it. they can take along walk off a short pier with that pricing.

UBI tried to pull the same stunt but ended up chopping £10er off all the £50 prices in the end.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/289070/

Pre-Purchase Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI

£49.99

Pre-Purchase Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI - Digital Deluxe

£69.99

Pre-Purchase Civilization VI + Steam Controller Bundle

Includes 2 items: Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI, Steam Controller

-18%

£89.98

£73.98

Pre-Purchase Civilization VI Digital Deluxe + Steam Controller Bundle

Includes 2 items: Sid Meier’s Civilization® VI - Digital Deluxe, Steam Controller

-15%

£109.98

£93.98

EDIT: and the screen shots on steam look like they where taken from one of the empire earth or age of empires series.

Edited by Cnónna

1 minute ago, Buttus said:

i loved 4, wasn't a big fan of 5 until the DLC's came out for it.

might wait to pick up 6 until the DLC comes out.

Read the Digital Trends article:

In previous iterations of the series, certain systems were left out of the initial release, which were then added in through subsequent expansions. Beach told us, however, that all of the major systems — including espionage, religion, tourism, archaeology, and trade routes — will be in place at launch.

If the game isn't half finished when it comes out and terribly linear then sure. Beyond Earth was frustratingly brainless.

3 hours ago, Crisp said:

Game looks like AoE online :s

I am very on the fence about the style, I really liked how Beyond Earth and Civ V looked. This game, not so much.

34 minutes ago, Andrew said:

A new Civilization game demands a new art style. Civilization 6’s Art Director Brian Busatti, a Firaxis veteran who worked on both Civ 4 and Civ 5, told IGN how he settled on a new visual direction for this October’s huge turn-based strategy game.

“When we went into this, we looked into how people play the game,” says Busatti.

I take it they where looking at tablet  or phone games then :s

• 2 weeks later...

Gameplay

I was on the fence about the art style, but after watching Quill's video, I'm liking it :yes: It's not too dissimilar from V's and I like the more vibrant colours. I'm glad it's not using Rev 2's style.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

41 days to go until release :D

Devs showing off religion in the game:

First look at confirmed Civilizations in the game:

America

Aztec (pre-order early access Civ, available to everyone 90 days after release)

Brazil

China

Egypt

England

France

Germany

India

Japan

Kongo

Norway

Scythia

Spain

There will be 18 Civs altogether, leaving 4 still to be confirmed. Some old favourites like Greece and Rome are highly likely to fill two of those IMO, but there's so many to choose from...

Arabia

Babylon

Celts

Huns

Korea

Mongolia

Ottomans

Persia

Poland

Portugal

Russia

Siam

Sweden

On 5/14/2016 at 8:04 AM, Cnónna said:

I take it they where looking at tablet  or phone games then :s

Actually, I think they were looking at Civ IV (which was the first Civ designed with portable hardware (and specifically laptops and notebooks) in mind).

And therein lies the conundrum - if you take portable hardware into consideration, the burly-desktop owners get ticked off; if you don't, you lose a large portion of the general-gaming audience.

Civ V actually mostly bridged that gap pretty darn neatly; still, it's NOT an easy gap to bridge.

amazon UK showing Firaxis Steam pricing to be the joke that it is. £35 including release day delivery (first Class Royal mail post) £40 for Steam code also on amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/2K-Games-PC65368-Civilization-VI/dp/B01FVRK9DO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1474392100&sr=8-1&keywords=civilization+6

Screw you Firaxis and your £50 digital download cost, Ubisoft tried that crap last year and fell flat on their faces.