Russia’s Land Giveaway

Russia’s Land Giveaway

If Russian citizens move to the mostly unpopulated Far East, the government will give them each around 2.5 acres.

The Russian government will give a free tract of land to any citizen who moves to a mostly unpopulated region of the country.

Earlier this week, President Vladimir Putin signed a law that would give each person around 2.5 acres if they moved to the Russian Far East. That land would remain tax-free for five years, after which the owners can rent or sell the property.

At around 3.9 million square miles, the Far East region takes up nearly a third of Russia. But barely 5 percent—7.4 million—of Russia’s 143 million people live in the area that stretches from Siberia to the Arctic region near Alaska, all the way down to the islands off Japan.

Far-East-Federal-District.jpg?resize=730

Additional coverage:

Come to Russia, Where the Girls are Beautiful and the Land is Free

Land of plenty: Duma committee approves bill for free handover of Russian territory to foreigners

Russia Offers Free Land to Foreigners

LOL coverage:

Forget Canada, Russia Offers Political Asylum If Trump Wins Presidency

Home sweet home? Putin offering disillusioned Britons FREE LAND to resettle in Russia

Damn! That's a pretty enticing offer! Shame its for Russian citizens only! Wonder if I could claim asylum, then take up residency? ;)

That is a policy that actually not only makes sense, but has roots in similar policies elsewhere (specifically, the United States' own push West prior to - and after - the Civil War).

Russia has this "great empty" - next to ZERO population, and also likely chockablock with resources (mineral and otherwise); why SHOULDN'T they exploit it?

What confuses da heck outta me is why don't they offer it to prospective citizens (would-be immigrants).  (No - I would NOT have any beef with such a policy; as I stated earlier, this would make tons of sense.)

1 minute ago, PGHammer said:

That is a policy that actually not only makes sense, but has roots in similar policies elsewhere (specifically, the United States' own push West prior to - and after - the Civil War).

Russia has this "great empty" - next to ZERO population, and also likely chockablock with resources (mineral and otherwise); why SHOULDN'T they exploit it?

What confuses da heck outta me is why don't they offer it to prospective citizens (would-be immigrants).  (No - I would NOT have any beef with such a policy; as I stated earlier, this would make tons of sense.)

This is Russia. It is a push to increase the Russian civilization with Russian people. I cant see Putin ever agreeing to allow immigrants to come and take the land. To be honest, with the world the way it is today, i don't blame him.

12 minutes ago, restroom said:

This is Russia. It is a push to increase the Russian civilization with Russian people. I cant see Putin ever agreeing to allow immigrants to come and take the land. To be honest, with the world the way it is today, i don't blame him.

There is that; however, it would be one heck of a PR play (it would differentiate the Russian government from what he claims is the xenophobic policy of Donald Trump; never mind that Russian policy under Putin is actually no different in reality).

We bought Alaska from Russia in 1898 (literally across the Bering Strait from this area) (and got a crapton of internal ridicule for it - "Seward's Folly" and "Seward's Icebox" anyone?).  The joke turned out to be on them - quite aside from the oil (I'm talking JUST in terms of the mineral and other resources), Alaska has turned out to be a major bargain; due to similar geology, I'm expecting the same to be true here (again, quite aside from the oil).

34 minutes ago, restroom said:

Damn! That's a pretty enticing offer! Shame its for Russian citizens only! Wonder if I could claim asylum, then take up residency? ;)

The offer isn't for the Russians exclusively. Anyone can apply.

28 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

Yes, the press has already called the Russian Homestead Act (similarly to the U.S. Homestead Act of 1862).

26 minutes ago, restroom said:

Russia is open to immigrants. In fact, it's second only to the U.S.

80% of Brits would be happy to quit UK for RUSSIA after Putin offers free land

ALMOST eight out of 10 citizens would seriously considering quitting Britain and emigrating to Russia, a poll by Express.co.uk has revealed.

Disillusioned by life in modern Britain, 78% of more than 22,000 respondents replied “Yes! Bargain” to the question “Would you move to Russia in exchange for free land?”