Everything is better wired ;)  That is no secret..  Even the fastest AC is still shared and not anywhere close to the gig a wire can give you..  Even with PHY being close - its PHY, take out all the overhead and your not even close to what you can get on a wire.  And the latency is way better for sure, etc. etc..

100% agree with you - everything is better with a wire.  Only mobile devices or devices in such a location that wired is not really possible, or their bandwidth requirements are so small that it doesn't matter should be wifi.  If it has a wire, and you can wire it - then yeah wire it ;)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Everything is better wired ;)  That is no secret..  Even the fastest AC is still shared and not anywhere close to the gig a wire can give you..  Even with PHY being close - its PHY, take out all the overhead and your not even close to what you can get on a wire.  And the latency is way better for sure, etc. etc..

100% agree with you - everything is better with a wire.  Only mobile devices or devices in such a location that wired is not really possible, or their bandwidth requirements are so small that it doesn't matter should be wifi.  If it has a wire, and you can wire it - then yeah wire it ;)

Thanks man..

And I'll keep the thread updated as possible (problems etc...) You don't have to answer personally if you do not wish to do so,

(it took me about a day of reading, and a further day or 2 trying to figure out what I wasn't doing in order to get my current set up working)

56 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

lol

VirginMedia

Oh.. I forgot that you are in UK.. 

My bad.

55 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

ISP homie, ISP. :p

Yeah I got it now.. 

:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yeah that is what I have been saying any wifi router can be just a AP.. Those instructions are exactly what I have been saying, connect to your network via lan port on the wifi router you want to use a AP.  Disable its dhcp = shazam is a AP ;)

While it might not be natting or providing dhcp, etc.  And yes its just acting as AP..  You get what you pay for - they don't have any of the best features a real AP would have.  POE for starters so they can properly be placed.  Just design they are not designed to be mounted in the ceiling for best coverage.  Have yet so see a off the shelf consumer wifi router that does vlans unless you run 3rd party firmware.  Even the high end models do they have support for ATF, DFS, TPC - do they support 802.11r, k or v?  Most likely not..  Admit some of these high end protocols and features of wifi not always needed in the home..  But some homes are becoming more noisy then even corp areas..  Sure every one in a corp has wifi phone, etc..  Quite often their PC is wired most of the time.  In the typical home you have multiple devices not just phones.  Lots of IoT filling up the wifi, thermostats, toaster, tv remote hubs, smoke detectors - everything is going wifi.  TV streamers like roku, etc. 

Having all these devices play nice together on your wifi is requiring way more sophistication than just your typical wrt54g from back in the day.. Its a bit more complicated than hey look I can sit on the couch with my laptop and read email.. 

From a security perspective I personally do not like these IoT devices, your dvr your blueray player, your thermostat, etc. etc.. on the my normal network be it wifi or wired..  Console games again - these should be on their own isolated networks..  And firewall between if you want/need to allow specific access.  I currently have 7 different physical/vlan networks that have firewall rules between.  Some devices on specific networks can talk to other things on different networks.  For example my wifi can use my printer, my guest wifi can not.  My wifi that my iot devices are on can not talk to ###### be other wifi networks or wired networks.  It can use the internet - that is ALL..

Smart switches are really really cheap that support min feature set like vlans.  AP that support them also very home budget friendly.. This allows even the home network to have isolation of their different types of devices..  As more an more devices get connected.. Are you really going to want that toaster with min security features built in china, and most likely phoning home all the time being on the same network as your normal stuff?  Maybe my tinfoil hat is a bit tight in this area, I normally wear it very loose and cocked way to the side ;)  But there are some things that just make common sense to do from a security point of view.  Isolation of devices of unknown security practices and functionality yeah I don't want them sharing the network I have my PCs and Servers on, etc.   And I sure and the hell do not want those rootkit/malware infested things guests call their devices ;) anywhere near any of my stuff..

• Like 1

I get what you're saying dude, It'll only be mobile devices and consoles, the security features (I hope) be handled by the nightkawk.

I've done some tweaking to it, but by any advanced network guy, they're probably still lame.

"the security features (I hope) be handled by the nightkawk."

Yeah ok -- that is funny ;)

Tweaking as to what.. You set a wpa2 psk that is long and random?  Just a bit off topic now, but I am curious to these tweaks...

Don't get me wrong, decent length non guessable psk with wpa2 and unique ssid is more than sufficient..  Those features I mentioned are not really security features..  I am talking about stuff you put on your network or allow on your network from talking to other stuff on your network.  Sorry but I don't really trust that dvr from directv to play nice..  I allow it to use the internet, but I don't allow it to talk to the rest of my network.. I allow my wifi devices to talk to it for remote control via app, etc.  But it can not create any sort of connection to any of my stuff.

directvrules.png

So I let it ping the gateway IP.. If it tries to talk to any IP on my firewall be it another lan IP or wan IP even its denied.  It is then allowed to talk to anything that is not rfc1918, ie it can talk to anything it wants on the internet.. Just can not talk to anything on my network unless my something started the conversation.

House_Network_Updatedv2.png

This is what my home network will look like by the end of the summer. Each Switch has a specific "group" it'll host. A variety of VLANs will be available. Each WiFi has "Guest", which is restricted to internet only. I'll leave the data speeds alone, however guest will be limited to 2.4Ghz and not 5Ghz. That's reserved for myself, and people I care about :p

It'd make more sense if you knew how my house was laid out. My brother lives with me, he gets the Master Bedroom, while I get 2 other rooms to myself. One is a guest room, and then my bedroom. Each room, minus kitchen, bathroom, and dining room all have Smart TVs. I've got a garage network for when I need to tinker with something, or work on a friends PC. It's completely isolated from the rest of my Network. To help keep track of things, I'll be setting up a DNS Server.

Your network doesn't have to be as complicated as mine is, or even as Budman's is. I have a total of 6 VLANs;

VLAN1 - Transit network (Switches/Routers/Firewalls? Only)

VLAN2 - Garage Network

VLAN3 - WiFi

VLAN4 - Guest WiFi

VLAN5 - Wired Network

VLAN6 - IOT Devices

My network isn't fully setup the way I want it, but it's pretty darn close. Since my order of PI's came in, I need to setup that VLAN, and assign IPs to them. I got the screens too! Now to 3D Print cases for wall mounting.

Like I said, it doesn't have to be as complicated. I personally, enjoy my new setup more than my SOHO router. I kept having major problems with it, the Management UI constantly crashed, I finally put DD-WRT on it, and it was better. BudMan / sc302 suggested I get a bit heavier duty gear, I don't regret buying my RV320, SG300, only my AP. I'm still kicking myself with it. I could easily see you getting a 18 port Switch (Plenty of ports available), grab an AC Lite Pro, or two and you'd be solid. The ubiquiti APs come with an amazing tool to manage it. I'm able to see whose connected, what IP they are on, I can kick them off the WiFi, or even mac ban them with a few clicks. I can log their traffic too, not that I want to find out what nasty crap my brother and his friends are into.

So you change your sg300 to layer 2 yet BD?  Or you still have that layer 3 setup sc302 did for you?

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

So you change your sg300 to layer 2 yet BD?  Or you still have that layer 3 setup sc302 did for you?

I put it to Layer 2, couldn't get the router to talk to the switch, so I put it back. Was hoping to fix it all within an hour, but I ran out of time trying to multitask everything. I'll work on it again this coming Sunday, after my Finals Exam.

Yes, it's a complex said with a long password using letters numbers and symbols. But like I said, to a seasoned network pro, it'll still be laughable. I freely admitted that, but that's OK, I know more about HGV Driving and have a passion about that, it's just a different skillset.

What DVR and directtv are you talking about by the way.

I don't have a DVR.

I like having the blu ray player hooked up to the internet so when I do get a chance to watch a movie, the player usually finds new movie adverts online, that's about it for the blu ray player.

The YouTube app and media server is handled by my ps4, but it just so happened, the forward and rewind controls, and other playback controls happened to be better.  

I'm not trying to get into an argument with you here, I know I'd lose

Edited by The Evil Overlord

Nobody wants an argument, not sure were that idea even came up??  Yes you can use any wifi router you want as AP..  I will help you do that..  I am just pointing out that putting everything on 1 network not really something I would suggest.

So what are these tweaks you did.. You made a long password??  Confused.

While yes if you want to go on the cheap, you can get any 30 quid router you want and use it as AP to add more wifi coverage to your network.  All I am saying is that is not really a direction I would suggest anyone go.. But sure if all you have is 30 quid and you want to extend your wifi.. Sure lets do it...  I love giving the diabetic a king size candy bar ;)  

BTW -- I love your HGV comment.. And completely agree with it, but the odd thing is you don't get people coming in off the street thinking they can drive the big rig as well as you, or know how it operates because they rode as passenger in one the other day.  But in the IT field, its very common place for someone that connected their computer to the router they got at the computer store to be an expert in networking ;)

While I am sure you would give me good advice if I wanted to get into HGV driving.  And you might say hey that rig is right rig for the job..  But I say sorry no I will just use this little yugo here I got at the 2nd hand lot.  It has new tires.  I am sure it can tow that load and do the job just as good as that big rig you suggest..  What would you think??

15 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Nobody wants an argument, not sure were that idea even came up??  Yes you can use any wifi router you want as AP..  I will help you do that..  I am just pointing out that putting everything on 1 network not really something I would suggest.

So what are these tweaks you did.. You made a long password??  Confused.

While yes if you want to go on the cheap, you can get any 30 quid router you want and use it as AP to add more wifi coverage to your network.  All I am saying is that is not really a direction I would suggest anyone go.. But sure if all you have is 30 quid and you want to extend your wifi.. Sure lets do it...  I love giving the diabetic a king size candy bar ;)  

BTW -- I love your HGV comment.. And completely agree with it, but the odd thing is you don't get people coming in off the street thinking they can drive the big rig as well as you, or know how it operates because they rode as passenger in one the other day.  But in the IT field, its very common place for someone that connected their computer to the router they got at the computer store to be an expert in networking ;)

While I am sure you would give me good advice if I wanted to get into HGV driving.  And you might say hey that rig is right rig for the job..  But I say sorry no I will just use this little yugo here I got at the 2nd hand lot.  It has new tires.  I am sure it can tow that load and do the job just as good as that big rig you suggest..  What would you think??

Ok, I'll try to explain,

I knew what I was doing when I opened my post and paged you directly

My reason, a lot of users here know how to set up a network, but over a decade ago, long before I ever joined Neowin, and was running a hand me down pc (because I was broke) I used to search tech sites, this one included to see if I can learn why my computer was not behaving as intended. That was then, I still consider myself a beginner level computer user, but this is because although I know what not to do to keep my computer protected, I still don't know everything about computers, like most, I know how to build one and save money over a bought one.

The tweaks I did, (this was probably an incorrect word to use on my part, and I apologise, I didn't know how else to explain it) was setting a unique and long ssid, then setting a unique and long password using letters, numbers and a couple of symbols thrown in, this is as advanced as my networking knowledge is. And the reason I said ...

14 hours ago, The Evil Overlord said:

I've done some tweaking to it, but by any advanced network guy, they're probably still lame.

I admit there's a whole hell of a lot more to learn, the reason I didn't do more is because the one thing computers HAS taught me, is 'if it works and there is no problem, leave it alone'.

I have broken things because I didn't know what I was doing, but thought I did.

The Cheap option, works for me because I might be looking to remortgage, my house soon and will probably move to a different location entirely, this area isn't what it used to be

(I just didn't want to get into this) and I really appreciate that this is not how you would do it. In an ideal world, I'd happily pay you to source and set up my network for me if this was something you were happy to do, and I'd happily pay top money doing it. But as we're probably not even in the same country, this is not an option.

I know nothing about my equipment 'pinging' stuff, and I know this is a setting I would likely break in some way, so I would be happy to leave it alone if it is working as intended.

Also I didn't need wifi coverage over the whole back yard, to my garage (a distance from my living room over 60 meters away) as the only members of my family asking for some wifi are my wife and children, and in all honesty, they only need some coverage, cover my rear patio, anything more than that, to me was a waste.

Me being a HGV driver was simply a reference to my skillset, as you are an expert in networking, I have a good working knowledge of heavy haulage, I'm not the best, but I'm trusted to do what I do.

I'm forever getting told by people that as long as the router firewall is on, I'm fine, this does not mean I believe them, but they must be telling me this for a reason.

(Or I can give another example, if lets say you bought a car, with a factory alarm and immobiliser, it'll do the job, a car thief would look for an easier vehicle to steal, but there are better alarms out there, and a factory alarm does not always protect a car, if they want the car bad enough they'd come back with a tow truck etc.....)

14 minutes ago, The Evil Overlord said:

The tweaks I did, (this was probably an incorrect word to use on my part, and I apologise, I didn't know how else to explain it) was setting a unique and long ssid, then setting a unique and long password using letters, numbers and a couple of symbols thrown in, this is as advanced as my networking knowledge is. And the reason I said ...

That is not tweak... That is called alphanumeric..   which can be used as 'strong alphanumeric password'  and/or 'strong alphanumeric SSID'   which includes the numbers, letters, symbols ...

If you said that in either of the quotes I mentioned above, people will know what you meant... 

• Like 1

"but they must be telling me this for a reason."

They are telling you that because that is what they believe.. Nothing more.. So does Jesus have sideburns or are you going to burn in hell for not believing it???

Again if what you want is the 30 quid router, lets go for the 30 quid router.. More than happy to help you set that up.. Yup you can place 30 quid routers all over your house running 2x2 at 2.4ghz N.. And yup you will have wifi no mater where you go.. Your wifi signal in the loo will be the stronest on the block..  Strong dos not always mean good, stong does not always mean fast..

I am just trying to help you learn is all.. If you want to put every single device you own on the same network - sure lets do it.. Happy to help!  They will all get on the internet and talk to each other... Just not how I would do it, and not going to tell you that is how I would do it.  Not saying you have to do it how I would do it.  There are billion ways to skin the cat.. What I am saying is before you believe what billy the idiot tells you... Do some learning and know if what billy is telling you is true or maybe Jesus didn't freaking have any sideburns..  Maybe for gosh sake there was no jesus at all..

Knowledge is power!!!  As you stated you know how to drive the big rigs, you have experience driving the big rigs.  And if I have no clue how to drive one then your way more skilled at it as me.. And maybe I think your ###### don't stink when it comes to driving a big rig..  But then I talk other people that drive a big rig, and start driving my big rig.. And come to find out hey your driving does stink.. Or maybe I find out ###### your the freaking man when it comes to driving these rigs.

But until you have something to work off of how the big rigs work, then yeah your in the dark and jesus has sideburns only on one side - and no matter how you look at it your going to burn.

12 minutes ago, BudMan said:

"but they must be telling me this for a reason."

They are telling you that because that is what they believe.. Nothing more.. So does Jesus have sideburns or are you going to burn in hell for not believing it???

Again if what you want is the 30 quid router, lets go for the 30 quid router.. More than happy to help you set that up.. Yup you can place 30 quid routers all over your house running 2x2 at 2.4ghz N.. And yup you will have wifi no mater where you go.. Your wifi signal in the loo will be the stronest on the block..  Strong dos not always mean good, stong does not always mean fast..

I am just trying to help you learn is all.. If you want to put every single device you own on the same network - sure lets do it.. Happy to help!  They will all get on the internet and talk to each other... Just not how I would do it, and not going to tell you that is how I would do it.  Not saying you have to do it how I would do it.  There are billion ways to skin the cat.. What I am saying is before you believe what billy the idiot tells you... Do some learning and know if what billy is telling you is true or maybe Jesus didn't freaking have any sideburns..  Maybe for gosh sake there was no jesus at all..

Knowledge is power!!!  As you stated you know how to drive the big rigs, you have experience driving the big rigs.  And if I have no clue how to drive one then your way more skilled at it as me.. And maybe I think your ###### don't stink when it comes to driving a big rig..  But then I talk other people that drive a big rig, and start driving my big rig.. And come to find out hey your driving does stink.. Or maybe I find out ###### your the freaking man when it comes to driving these rigs.

But until you have something to work off of how the big rigs work, then yeah your in the dark and jesus has sideburns only on one side - and no matter how you look at it your going to burn.

This is why I paged you, I know that you know... That there are better ways of setting this up, I just didn't 'need' any more than I asked, hell if I did, I would have never mentioned what I already own, and would have thrown out my old hardware, and started the whole thing from scratch, asking what components to get, where to set them up etc..

I trust your advice THAT much

Big Rig driver eh? That' was my dream job as a kid, that and being a Train Driver. I can drive a manual with no problems, big rig is beyond me. Something about a double clutch, dual sets of gears, yeah way too far out of my skill set.

Much of how you learned, is how I've done most of my education. I'm an introvert and a hands on person. I learn best by doing it, and putting it back together. I've become skilled at hiding the spare parts.

Sorry to push the whole network change like that, since I've made the change, I've felt way better about my network security. I still have a long ways to go to be like budman, but in time I'll wear his tin foil hat with pride, and be schooling the next generation.

Also, are you sure that TP-Link you're looking  at doesn't support DD-WRT? Hell, I'd send you my AC one if I wasn't going to use it for my brother.

13 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

(1) Big Rig driver eh? That' was my dream job as a kid, that and being a Train Driver. I can drive a manual with no problems, big rig is beyond me. Something about a double clutch, dual sets of gears, yeah way too far out of my skill set.

(2) Much of how you learned, is how I've done most of my education. I'm an introvert and a hands on person. I learn best by doing it, and putting it back together. I've become skilled at hiding the spare parts.

(3) Sorry to push the whole network change like that, since I've made the change, I've felt way better about my network security. I still have a long ways to go to be like budman, but in time I'll wear his tin foil hat with pride, and be schooling the next generation.

(4) Also, are you sure that TP-Link you're looking  at doesn't support DD-WRT? Hell, I'd send you my AC one if I wasn't going to use it for my brother.

(1)

(Simplest Breakdown)

It's not that hard to drive, just remember you could have 40 feet, or a more in trailer so you have to account for that when turning, unless you're using a road train, which aren't common in the UK

(I'm not sure if they're illegal, or just frowned upon, I remember going to a truck show convention where a haulier <who will remain anonymous> was demonstrating an 88 foot train, we all had the same concern, they're an absolute bitch to reverse, and on a UK road, you never know when you might need to reverse one)

But going back to a conventional Class 2 or Straight Truck...

Your mirrors are your biggest friends, when considering you're driving what is a blind spot on wheels, Great forward visibility, but lets face it, no one can see through <insert relevant number, depending on type of vehicle> feet of box trailer behind them.

Older Trucks used to have 10 speed boxes, nowdays you'll find 6 or 8 speed boxes either using a 4 over 4 or a slap box configuration, the 6 speed being the simplest.

6 speed is like any other standard H gearbox, most truck drivers don't bother with 1st or second, depending on type of vehicle, as those crawl, so you're basically driving a very big car.

4 over 4 is your basic 4 speed plus reverse, then a switch to change the ratio, and first gear becomes 5 (shift 1,2,3,4, hit the switch, and shift through 1,2,3,4 again)

Then there's the 8 speed slap box, which I hate, (4 over 4 is faster for me when rowing gears)  basically, you go through 1,2,3,4, then slap the shifter right for the high range, and left if you need low range)

(Articulated, or tractor trailer rig)

Similar in principal, but you can have 10 or more gears, splitters, and range changers.

Modern trucks don't really need to be double declutched these days, and semi autos like the 'telligent' gearbox on Mercedes Actros Rigs, but these are getting rare now with powershift becoming the norm, you have even less to do, (imagine driving a semi auto car, with a paddle shift on it's gear shifter)

Mine was (or is) a Scania R600, (2013-2014 model I think, but the registration was 2014) so it had a conventional range changer/splitter box. Effectively it was a 3 speed box with a bunch of switches on the shifter, so one could argue it had 12 gears.

Same principal as above, loosely.

But you must take into account the length of the trailer, but as far as it being 'out of your skillset', it's not, a week in training and you'll be throwing the rig around like you've been doing it for years :) 

(2) It's how I learned best, when I burned out my first Athlon pc, I remembered never to do that again, and I've still got 14 year old rigs in storage that still work)

(3) It's not a problem dude, I'm not the most articulate or by some standards, educated man, (I walked out of school being a straight a student and did not care, because the only thing I ever wanted to do was follow my family into truck driving) I'm 40 years old, and I wish there was a way I could assure you of how many years I've been driving, I can't as I'll incriminate myself, my very first driving lesson was in a Mercedes 813, 7.5 ton truck.

(4) The kid's tablets (older samsung tab7's asus transformer, vtech whatever it's called) and my wife's kindles don't support the 5ghz frequency, so I didn't care if the router was only a 2.4 draft n. And to be honest, if all they're ever going to do is listen to music, or download an ebook, or possibly play those silly little android games, I didn't see the need for them to have the best signal, just enough is enough for that. :) 

The devices that CAN see my 5ghz wifi never leave my house anyway as they cost the most, and I rarely use them unless I really needed to (I usually wait and either use my pc where I have a physical keyboard in front of me, or I'll use my phone when I'm at a truckstop and just use their wifi (or my mobile data)

Going back to the part I made bold, I said was, as my transport manager let slip that the company is thinking about getting in a new fleet, and veteran drivers get to choose what rig they want (within reason)

So I'll be getting a vet's hand me down rig (I'm hoping for another R600, one of the senior drivers <or the guy who's truck I've been eyeballing> is in the running for a brand new rig, so I want his old one.)

So guess your going with just the 30 quid router used as AP with everything on the same network..  This is pretty much how every home is setup..  Not the best idea from security or performance.. But yes it will work.

So when your buddies tell you the wifi router firewall is running..  That is running between device A and stuff on the internet on the other side of the router.  It doesn't even see the traffic between device A and B on your network.  It only cares about traffic going to the internet.  The point of creating multiple segments in your home is so that yes a firewall can look at the traffic and say yes or no.

16 hours ago, BudMan said:

So guess your going with just the 30 quid router used as AP with everything on the same network..  This is pretty much how every home is setup..  Not the best idea from security or performance.. But yes it will work.

So when your buddies tell you the wifi router firewall is running..  That is running between device A and stuff on the internet on the other side of the router.  It doesn't even see the traffic between device A and B on your network.  It only cares about traffic going to the internet.  The point of creating multiple segments in your home is so that yes a firewall can look at the traffic and say yes or no.

If I am able to remortgage and move to a new location, I'll look into premium components, unifi and all of that, just if we're only going to be here another 6 months or a year, I just don't need the very best right now.

The penny pinching is going to help somewhat when taking into consideration a house that is just outside of my current financial situation

All understandable... Let us know when you have the new wifi router, and help you set it up as AP so everything can talk to each other..

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

Well, my equipment has arrived, finally, so I've tested the new router (tplinkwr1043nd)

so far, I've tested the cable, and the router... working

I've also discovered I'm trying to set up a cascade type connection, (clarity as I didn't know what this type of connection was called)

DCHP disabled, ssid changed, passwords changed

currently I'm posting using this cascaded configuration wired to my laptop, speedtest results good

now I need to rip up my carpets and floorboards to run the cable down to my living room and retrofit the new router to replace the old one

wired gaming here I come (I hope)

Ok mistake, turning off DHCP, turned it back on and cascade setup works, still getting a type 2 connection on my playstations, but a much better connection overall, but I'm thinking this will remain a type 2 until I connect them directly to the modem.

I'm going to try using the tplink connected directly to the modem and see what happens with my home network.

Push comes to shove, I can always hook the tplink back to the netgear...

huh??  If you are running dhcp on your AP (wifi you bought) then its in NAT mode and your double natting.

Lets go over this again, to use any wifi router as AP.. You connect it to your network with one of lan ports, and disable its dhcp..  Now it just bridges you wifi to the wire its connected to.  It does does not router, it does not nat.  You give its lan an IP on your network and connect to that to setup the wifi.

As to your consoles getting a specific nat type from xbox, ps that would depend on what ports you have forward at your router that is connected to the internet.

55 minutes ago, BudMan said:

huh??  If you are running dhcp on your AP (wifi you bought) then its in NAT mode and your double natting.

Lets go over this again, to use any wifi router as AP.. You connect it to your network with one of lan ports, and disable its dhcp..  Now it just bridges you wifi to the wire its connected to.  It does does not router, it does not nat.  You give its lan an IP on your network and connect to that to setup the wifi.

As to your consoles getting a specific nat type from xbox, ps that would depend on what ports you have forward at your router that is connected to the internet.

I'll try to explain, one sec....

My home internet network starts with my superhub (supplied by isp) it's wireless features are all disabled, I have a cat 6 cable connecting it to my netgear (main router)

now ignoring the wireless devices, and the wired computer,

I have a cat 7 cable running under my floorboards to my living room, (25 meters barely left me with some slack cable) that cable goes from the lan port of the netgear, to the wan port of the tp link in what I googled, was called a cascade set up) from there, my downstairs wired devices are connected to the tp link secondary router via it's lan ports, and the wireless devices I wish to have use of in the back yard. I got lucky as the ip address for the tp link was different to the one on the netgear.

I turned off the tp link firewall only, as I didn't see the need to have 2 firewalls running when the main router firewall is running.

The nat type 2 remark was something a guy told me a while back (we don't talk anymore as he went back to pc gaming and hasn't been online via playstation in years. (Speaking of which, I should probably go through that list and delete players I no longer game with)

Anyway he said that the type 2 connection on a playstation is because there is a middle device between the playstation and the internet, and said most of the time, this is not a problem.

I thought to myself that the wired connection would eliminate that, but I tried running the wire directly from my ps4 to my netgear just to see what would happen, and the type 2 connection remained. The only thing I haven't tried yet is to wire the ps4 directly to the superhub, but it's not the end of the world, as long as I have a solid and stable connection.

The port forwarding, I'll have to look into as I'm not sure which ports I'd have to set, and whether I'd have to do that on both routers etc..