desperately want to move from apple iphone5s to windows phone (lumia 950) but... apps?

Hi there!

I love my iphone. It "just works" - I am a media professional, studio owner, video producer, and mostly, a musician and music teacher.

I use my phone for a lot, but I just really want to switch to windows because I would love to just plug my phone in, see my files, drag and drop - and expand my memory with SD cards.

However, what apps are there for windows?

For instance:

I would say I use:

Dropbox

Cloudbeats (for perusing my dropbox and playing songs)

Mapmyfitness

GuitarTuna

Voice Memos (surely windows has something built in for this?)

Square register

Paypal/instagram/twitter/facebook (surely these are present)

Google hangouts

FLstudio

Podcasts (?)

Gopro app (totally needed)

Chrome

Just landed

Find my iphone (is there a "find my windows phone" ??:)

Yapscan (yapsody app for scanning tickets)

Ebay

Evernote

Triggertrap (boy I would hate to lose this)

Google Drive

Hootsuite (meh)

Tripadvisor

Zomato

teamviewer

sunseeker (cool way to find out where the sun will be, with 3-d overlay)

Bank apps (various apps used to log into banks)

just searching for these apps yields nothing... I wonder if there is any hope or if im just stuck with iphone/android???? does android have these apps?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/windows-phone

have a shift through the windows phone app store. though I'd guess there will be more and more being added sooner or later because of the universal apps being rolled out.

don't hold your breath on google adding anything official anytime soon.

am pretty sure there's official twitter, facebook apps (though if they where on my phone I'd have deleted them anyway)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/apps/gopro/9wzdncrfhw47  <go pro app?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/search/result.aspx?q=dropbox&form=apps <Dropbox

Find my iphone (is there a "find my windows phone" ??:) < yep and it's built right into it no need to activate it. lock/wipe/alert/post text massage and tracking used it once to find my phone after it fell out of my van

am sure you can search for the rest yourself, and assess if the apps are what you want or the alternative are good enough.

Edited by Cnónna

If you are not a big time smart phone gamer, I think you'll be just fine with a Windows Phone. I'm more of an OS agnostic and I don't really have a dog in the smart phone fight and if you must ask, my deepest respect is for Windows Phone. Because of my job, my daily driver is my Iphone 6.  I have no issue using another OS. I'm geek like that.  Anyway, I've been using the preview for as long as its been a preview and if you go Windows phone, I say look that up.

On your question, all your listed apps are available on Windows Phone. If the app isn't there, a decent equivalence exists on the platform with more coming all the time. Finally, the platform is getting an official Starbucks app. With Windows Phone, get the pure Cortana experience. Scheduling appointments, setting proximity reminders etc, all works nicely on Windows phone 10.  I would also say if you jump in, expect an adjustment period. Once you come out on the other side, you'll find that 950 makes more sense than you know. It just works.

Out of the most notable in your list, here's my answers:

Google Hangouts - nope; use Skype or WhatsApp.

Google Drive - nope; use OneDrive, it syncs across all Windows devices.

Dropbox - they have a great universal app.

TeamViewer - amazing universal app.

Paypal - yes, but might be buggy

Instagram/Twitter/Facebook - yep, all good universal apps

Chrome - use Microsoft Edge; I find it better than Chrome, on mobile.

Find my iPhone - yes, you can access the feature to find any of your Windows devices at account.microsoft.com

CloudBeats- assuming this is a music player app? Use Groove Music.

GoPro - I believe so but not actively being developed

Evernote - yep

eBay - yep

Banks - lots of banks have apps for W10M and Windows Phone, which specifically?

TripAdvisor - yep, has a good universal app

Voice memos - I believe OneNote does this, and syncs across all Windows devices; you can also use Voice Recorder, which can then sync to OneDrive.

Those are just the ones I know of - of course, you can also use Edge browser to do most of what you're looking for.

Continuum may also be a good feature for you, search it up: https://www.neowin.net/news/windows-10-mobile-continuum-turns-your-phone-into-a-desktop-pc

1 minute ago, TrekRich said:

Dont get a windows phone, the platform is dead at this point. Get a newer iphone, or an android phone.

That is not true. Microsoft is scaling back production of devices, but the devices available for it are good. I have the 950XL and it works great. The OS in preview builds is very stable currently, too.

• Like 2