Gran Turismo Sport out 18th November

Gran Turismo Sport out 18th November

Introduces livery editor, features 137 premium cars and 19 locations.

By Martin Robinson Published 19/05/2016

Gran Turismo Sport, Polyphony Digital's debut on the PlayStation 4, will come out later this year with a release date in the UK of 18th November.

The new game, which looks to act like a Prologue to a full-fat Gran Turismo, features 137 premium cars and 19 locations. It includes a focus on eSports, with a new Sport mode that includes scheduled events and allows players to compete for a real-life FIA licence.

Also new to the series is a livery editor, while two new tracks are introduced in the shape of Northern Isle Speedway, an oval, and a new Tokyo street circuit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-19-gran-turismo-sport-is-out-november-18th

Lots of screens at EG

1601x901.jpg

1601x9011.jpg

1601x90111.jpg

PD got the finger pulled out somewhat. Still seems like GT6.5, but I'm sure they'll blow us away with graphics. Neo-mode supported at launch as well!!! :woot:

Trailer

Did anyone else hate GT6? I didn't  like GT5, but its sequel was the worst racing game I've ever played. I still hear those screeching tires in my sleep :|

6 minutes ago, onewarmslime said:

Did anyone else hate GT6? I didn't  like GT5, but its sequel was the worst racing game I've ever played. I still hear those screeching tires in my sleep :|

Sound needs a lot of work. Evo guys should have been offered jobs at PD. Although that would involve moving to Japan...

EG are also a bit lukewarm - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-05-19-gt-sport-preview

After a fairly long wait, we've finally got a chance to play Gran Turismo on PlayStation 4 - and it's more than a little underwhelming. Kazunori Yamauchi has said GT Sport offers a level of innovation not seen since the first Gran Turismo. Having played it for 30 minutes before today's big reveal conference, I'm not entirely sold.

Perhaps it's because we've been spoilt by the splendour of Forza Motorsport, already into its second iteration on Xbox One, or Assetto Corsa, which is about to make its console debut later this summer. Gran Turismo Sport, however, looks, sounds and plays just like Gran Turismo 6 on the Playstation 3.

It's a compliment of sorts - Gran Turismo 6 is still, a few years and a generation later, an exceptionally handsome game, and Sport benefits from a solid foundation. Right now, though, it doesn't look to do much with that foundation - to an untrained eye (albeit one that's poured countless hours into Gran Turismo 6) it's hard to tell the difference.

Even more disheartening, it's hard to hear the difference. I tried some of the noisier cars available in the current build, and the GT3 458 Ferrari droned rather than screamed, the Corvette whined rather than rumbling the earth as it does in real life. (For his part, Yamauchi says the sound has been worked upon significantly since Gran Turismo 6 and that it'll meet people's expectations - although I played it on headphones, perhaps it's best to wait until it's away from a busy show floor).

Still, it handles like a treat, the 20 cars on offer on the 6 tracks available for today's event acquitting themselves well (the final game, it's worth noting, will offer a generous 137 premium model cars and 19 locations with some 37 track layouts). Existing tracks such as Willow Springs, Brands Hatch and the Nordschleife are joined by two new tracks, an oval called Northern Isle Speedway and a street circuit around Tokyo that looks similar to the classic Route 246.

Finally a livery editor at least, but PD gonna PD.

Potentially VR support as well

David Scammell ‏@VG_Dave 
Polyphony looking to support PlayStation VR from launch of GT Sport

David Scammell @VG_Dave
Yamauchi plans to make all aspects of GT Sport compatible with PlayStation VR

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Audioboxer said:

snip

The cars look great, much better than GT6, but the foliage is very hit and miss (spotted some very PS1-esque tree lines on Nurburgring at 1:25 mark).

I really hope they work on the controls for GTS and GT7 though. They've always been the most disappointing part of the game for me.

• Like 2

Sound comparison, Couldn't find an in car direct stream for PS4 but it does sound horrible. Release in November... Usually gold a few months before that. So how long do we really have of improvements before just bug finding is applied? 3 months? In what's taken them several years to do I don't have faith in much changing in the next few months from what's been shown already.

I would have rather they have spent the time on this towards GT7. I'm honestly predicting the PS5/Xbox Next to be revealed before we get GT7 at this point.

"Going Gold" happens 1 month before release. It's when the game is finalized and sent for printing / distribution.

They record the sounds exactly the same way as Forza, so it has to be a post processing issue which sucks the "oomph" out of it. Hopefully the new audio engineers improve it (Y)

On 5/22/2016 at 7:34 PM, Andrew said:

"Going Gold" happens 1 month before release. It's when the game is finalized and sent for printing / distribution.

They record the sounds exactly the same way as Forza, so it has to be a post processing issue which sucks the "oomph" out of it. Hopefully the new audio engineers improve it (Y)

Ah really? The easier world of distribution we live in now.

Doesn't matter now we'll have to wait for release to hear how it sounds as PD has gone full tropo and removing all the videos off youtube and other sites after the backlash. 

1 hour ago, Vandalsquad said:

Doesn't matter now we'll have to wait for release to hear how it sounds as PD has gone full tropo and removing all the videos off youtube and other sites after the backlash. 

Now PD has Mike Caviezel, I'm sure it will improve if not in time for Sport, but 7 (Y)

1 hour ago, Vandalsquad said:

https://www.gtplanet.net/gt-sport-will-not-feature-dynamic-time-or-weather/

I remember all the slack Forza games have got this gen for not supporting this (not horizon), but with the tearing I've seen on gameplay so far I would rather them push for a locked 60fps like Forza to weather.

GT has had dynamic weather and time for years. What people keep forgetting is this is not GT7, it is GT Sport. It is not a fully-fledged GT. It's an eSport game, online only, with 100+ cars. It's not going to have a lot of things that previous GTs had, because it's not GT7.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2016 at 8:57 PM, Andrew said:

GT has had dynamic weather and time for years. What people keep forgetting is this is not GT7, it is GT Sport. It is not a fully-fledged GT. It's an eSport game, online only, with 100+ cars. It's not going to have a lot of things that previous GTs had, because it's not GT7.

GT sport uses the GT6 engine does it not? Which had dynamic weather? So after 3 years of development on the same engine which had it to begin with Polyphony are either incompetent or the PS4 will struggle to push 60fps and dynamic weather at the same time.

It not having a lot of things but being in development for so long is exactly why if the PS4 is capable of pushing both at the same time there is no reason for it not to be there which was the only point I was making, more about the hardware than the game its self.

Edit - 2nd trailer also looks a lot better presented than the last. Will there be any offline mode at all?

24 minutes ago, Vandalsquad said:

GT sport uses the GT6 engine does it not? Which had dynamic weather? So after 3 years of development on the same engine which had it to begin with Polyphony are either incompetent or the PS4 will struggle to push 60fps and dynamic weather at the same time.

It not having a lot of things but being in development for so long is exactly why if the PS4 is capable of pushing both at the same time there is no reason for it not to be there which was the only point I was making, more about the hardware than the game its self.

Edit - 2nd trailer also looks a lot better presented than the last. Will there be any offline mode at all?

GT6 was not 1080/60 nor does it have full time / weather variables. We've no idea what engine Sport uses, only that it was said to be using the same physics engine as GT6 when Sport was tentatively "announced" as GT7 in 2013. Supposedly weather (not dynamic) and damage are both in Sport but were not active in the press build shown in Paris. PD are not incompetent because of hardware limitations. Yamauchi has explained the decision to not include dynamic time / weather. Who said the PS4 is capable of pushing 1080/60 with dynamic time and weather? We've yet to see any racing-sim or arcade racer do it this gen IIRC.

Like I said, there is no offline / career modes and there is only 100+ cars.

On 6/12/2016 at 0:27 AM, Andrew said:

Yamauchi has explained the decision to not include dynamic time / weather. Who said the PS4 is capable of pushing 1080/60 with dynamic time and weather? We've yet to see any racing-sim or arcade racer do it this gen IIRC.

Like I said, there is no offline / career modes and there is only 100+ cars.

That was my original point... no one ever said it was capable of producing dynamic weather only me bringing up the slack Turn 10 received for not having it on the Xbox from Sony fans and me believing the hardware isn't capable the same as the Xbox. And a quick google only now of Yamauchi confirming they have to focus on frame rate confirms that I guess.

9 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

only me bringing up the slack Turn 10 received for not having it on the Xbox from Sony fans and me believing the hardware isn't capable the same as the Xbox.

I don't recall that happening here on Neowin, so let's keep it that way and not stir up two fan bases :yes:

2 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I don't recall that happening here on Neowin, so let's keep it that way and not stir up two fan bases :yes:

It's cool, I'll be the first to say it IS really disappointing this doesn't have dynamic weather :p

It is beautiful in Driveclub.

Not surprised doubting PD on graphics (besides standard cars) is silly as they are tech wizards. It's the sum of their overall package that is letting down.