Debian, Mint, Or Arch?

I have been a BIG user of Debian, starting with Squeeze, then Wheezy. After that I sort of fell away from that. Used  several different distros.

Right now, I am in love with Mint 17.3. It just does exactly what I want, which, tbh, isn't much.

I have played with Arch quite a bit, mainly on my laptop. I do now know a little on how to install it. The chroot stuff still gets to me. I can try ArchBang, having an easier installer. ;)

After I get my Samsung 850 Pro 256GB, I want to put some distro on there, and use my Corsair Mx100 120GB maybe as my /Home directory. (I have to read up about how to do that, exactly)

I do like Cinnamon desktop. Basically, Debian Jessie, Mint, or Arch?

I know, it's personal preference, but what would YOU use? Arch, the newest and greatest, or Debian/Mint, the few but the trusted.

For desktop related I'd go with Mint.  It just works.   Server wise I go with Debian.  It's clean, slick, powerful.   Arch is fun for dinking around and learning the ins and outs.. I find that it breaks too easy though.

I am currently using Xubuntu. Sleek and fast with a mid-range computer. XFCE-4 is a great desktop manager. You can also theme it to your liking.

Yeah, I might as well stay with Mint, but get the current version. As I'm on 17.1, think most current is 17.3.

Nothing wrong with trying new stuff. Give one of the 16.04's a spin, see how you like it. Improve your chops with Arch. If you're feeling adventurous, but not too adventurous, give Mint's LMDE a go.

I'm thinking about doing a Kubuntu 16.04 just to shake things up. :yes: 

15 hours ago, firey said:

For desktop related I'd go with Mint.  It just works.   Server wise I go with Debian.  It's clean, slick, powerful.   Arch is fun for dinking around and learning the ins and outs.. I find that it breaks too easy though.

Agree, Mint is great on the desktop and just works how it should

Debian on my servers too

7 hours ago, Unobscured Vision said:

Nothing wrong with trying new stuff. Give one of the 16.04's a spin, see how you like it. Improve your chops with Arch. If you're feeling adventurous, but not too adventurous, give Mint's LMDE a go.

I'm thinking about doing a Kubuntu 16.04 just to shake things up. :yes: 

Ubuntu 16.04 is a joke, seriously... :angry:

i would never go anything below arch personally, i just LOVE it. i love the continous updates, the way you learn your system by DIY installation, i like being in complete control of the system. would never recomand it for beginners though.

12 minutes ago, Simon Lang 9047 said:

i would never go anything below arch personally, i just LOVE it. i love the continous updates, the way you learn your system by DIY installation, i like being in complete control of the system. would never recomand it for beginners though.

Hahaha, ain't that the truth... :p

I'm more intermediate. I pretty well know my way around the terminal. There are millions of guides for anything you need online...

7 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Hahaha, ain't that the truth... :p

I'm more intermediate. I pretty well know my way around the terminal. There are millions of guides for anything you need online...

hehe yeah, well i also need the (excellent!) tut for installing arch, so probably i am intermediate as well in that regard but it"s a good base to learn and keep up with the latest. said that, few years ago, while using kubuntu i never would have managed to install arch, it needs a bit of knowledge and confidence. 

14 hours ago, COKid said:

I prefer Debian. It's boring and predictable, but so am I. :)

I'm in the same boat, dull is good as long as it keeps working. I tried Arch once, but I prefer being able to successfully reboot.

Real men use Arch. :D Seriously though Arch is for the hard core in my opinion. Its philosophy is totally opposite on how things actually work out. Also there are some apps for linux that are not available on Arch. I think I will eventually go back to Arch once there are a bit more apps out there for the raspberry pi. I am using Debian jessie at the moment. Took me significantly less time to configure something with Debian than it did with Arch for the same exact feature set.

36 minutes ago, f0rk_b0mb said:

I run RHEL professionally at work and on my personal PC's at home and I'm currently going for my certs so I'm rocking RHEL on my machines right now. You can actually get it for free for a limited time here: http://developers.redhat.com/products/rhel/get-started/

Thanks this helps me a ton. This is the next distro I been wanting to mess around with.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 20.05.2016 at 0:41 AM, Mindovermaster said:

I know, it's personal preference, but what would YOU use? Arch, the newest and greatest, or Debian/Mint, the few but the trusted.

I'm more a server Linux user to be honest and using a Debian most of the times. I also have a few CentOS legacy servers.

Desktop Debian though need to be configured a lot so I think that I'll choose either one of the Ubuntu distributions or a new Mint.

9 minutes ago, imort said:

I'm more a server Linux user to be honest and using a Debian most of the times. I also have a few CentOS legacy servers.

Desktop Debian though need to be configured a lot so I think that I'll choose either one of the Ubuntu distributions or a new Mint.

A bit, umm, aged, but I stuck with Mint :)

It's not as configurable as debian, but it does what I want. I don't play around with Linux as much as I used to.