Police Scotland launch airguns amnesty campaign - airguns will soon require a license

Police are launching an airgun amnesty ahead of new laws which make it illegal to possess one without a licence.

Seventy-two police stations across Scotland will be accepting the weapons during the three-week campaign from 23 May until 12 June.

The Air Weapon and Licensing (Scotland) Act 2015 comes into force from 31 December 2016.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-36336837

The Scottish government ran a public consultation on the licensing scheme in 2013.

The idea was rejected by 87% of respondents - with some describing it as "draconian" and "heavy-handed".

Pretty much, and so much for democracy. What's next, pointless drafting compasses? Mandatory pre-sliced foods? Shovel and lawn mower licences? How about mandatory 360° air bag belts for everyone going out of doors, just in case.

8 minutes ago, DocM said:

Pretty much, and so much for democracy. What's next, pointless drafting compasses? Mandatory pre-sliced foods? Shovel and lawn mower licences? How about mandatory 360° air bag belts for everyone going out of doors, just in case.

well you did need a TV license (which I think is what 145 pounds a year now? which includes computers, laptops, game consoles and dvd players with live streaming support) in the UK, heaven knows you might watch the BBC over the air *gasp* illegally (I know it's not the same, but just pointing out there are licenses that are just stupid)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, neufuse said:

well you did need a TV license (which I think is what 145 pounds a year now? which includes computers, laptops, game consoles and dvd players with live streaming support) in the UK, heaven knows you might watch the BBC over the air *gasp* illegally (I know it's not the same, but just pointing out there are licenses that are just stupid)

Unless you can think of a better way of funding the BBC?  Bearing in mind that it's publically owned and it's also rather nice to watch TV without adverts, especially sporting events and films. It also produces some of the best documentaries and programming in the world. You also get numerous radio stations, BBC iPlayer, BBC online and many more services for £0.40 a day.

10 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Unless you can think of a better way of funding the BBC?  Bearing in mind that it's publically owned and it's also rather nice to watch TV without adverts, especially sporting events and films. It also produces some of the best documentaries and programming in the world. You also get numerous radio stations, BBC iPlayer, BBC online and many more services for £0.40 a day.

just tax the whole public at a lower rate since you'd get the people that don't watch tv also and pay for it that way? I duno, I don't live in the UK, but PBS is a public funded channel in the USA and we don't pay a license fee for it, heck PBS pays the BBC for content also... maybe license out more content around the world for money? *shrugs*

7 minutes ago, neufuse said:

just tax the whole public at a lower rate since you'd get the people that don't watch tv also and pay for it that way? I duno, I don't live in the UK, but PBS is a public funded channel in the USA and we don't pay a license fee for it, heck PBS pays the BBC for content also... maybe license out more content around the world for money? *shrugs*

They already sell programming around the world and have a commercial arm (BBC Worldwide) to do this. A quick google suggests PBS has commercials? The BBC doesn't show any advertisements at all in the UK, they do elsewhere though.

Just now, Tomo said:

They already sell programming around the world and have a commercial arm (BBC Worldwide) to do this. A quick google suggests PBS has commercials? The BBC doesn't show any advertisements at all in the UK, they do elsewhere though.

I believe PBS has educational commercials or health related ones. I wouldn't know, I'm a bloody pirate. :D

• Like 2