Opinions on Semantic UI - User Interface framework

Question

Hey all,

Currently working on an internal development project, and was looking for some different UI frameworks, as normally we stick to Foundation or Bootstrap. I decided to try and mix things up a bit, and go for something different.

I came across Semantic UI, which to me, looks to have a whole boat load of features.

This project doesn't really require any major design work, so I'm not worried about any design patterns being forced upon me.

Any opinions on how Semantic UI looks? Here's the site: http://semantic-ui.com/

5 answers to this question

3 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

Looks interesting. I'll read more about it later.

Yeah, definitely interesting. I just like the specific features it has built-in: flags, steps, cards, loaders and JavaScript API data binding with views.

I'm not huge on web development, I kind of suck at it. I find it to be more confusing than Linux/C++ is. Maybe because I don't get paid for it, haha.

5 minutes ago, BinaryData said:

I'm not huge on web development, I kind of suck at it. I find it to be more confusing than Linux/C++ is. Maybe because I don't get paid for it, haha.

Getting paid for something, I find, usually makes it easier. :p I used to do a lot of development on personal projects, and they were OK, but nothing great. As soon as I got hired as a multi-platform and backend/frontend developer, I began working on projects for large corporations. Granted, I had a designer on my team, who would send me a PSD or .sketch file of the design and I'd work it up via SCSS/CSS, but the projects soon began looking much better than I had ever done before - and way more complex. We're talking going from 1 PHP website, not using MVC, with MySQL, to C# ASP with MSSQL databases with APIs and integrations. A big step-up, but I think the 'force' of having to do it for work changes something in the mind, and engages you to think in different ways.

I want to get into similar stuff but C++, MySQL, PHP, and API integrations. Along with cross platform development, and management tools. When I have free time, I'm self-teaching myself how to code C++, I'm looking to code a project in Linux.

Has nothing to do with my career path, either. I'm going for Security (CEH, PenTesting, etc)