CIA 'Accidentally' Destroyed 6,700 Page Torture Report? Snowden Calls ########

--

The world’s most famous whistleblower, Edward Snowden, took Twitter by storm when he created an account last year. Since, he has criticized everyone from the FBI to Google, so his latest post on the CIA should come as no surprise.

Commenting on revelations the CIA “inadvertently” destroyed a copy of the 6,700-page torture report, Snowden questioned the agency’s official story.

“I worked @CIA. I wrote the Emergency Destruction Plan for Geneva. When CIA destroys something, it’s never a mistake,” he tweeted Wednesday, openly challenging the CIA’s claim. He also shared an article detailing the news.

Snowden previously worked for the CIA and as an NSA contractor before leaking documents revealing the U.S. government’s extensive mass surveillance programs and subsequently fleeing the country. He has been an outspoken voice against government overreach and privacy issues ever since.

On Monday, Yahoo News reported on the CIA’s apparent fumble that inspired Snowden’s Wednesday tweet:

“The CIA inspector general’s office — the spy agency’s internal watchdog — has acknowledged it ‘mistakenly’ destroyed its only copy of a mammoth Senate torture report at the same time lawyers for the Justice Department were assuring a federal judge that copies of the document were being preserved.”

The Senate Intelligence Committee was reportedly informed of the ‘mistake’ last summer, but it was never disclosed to the public, nor to the federal judge presiding over a Freedom of Information Act case seeking access to the lengthy document.

Douglas Cox, a professor at the City University of New York School of Law, who specializes in “tracking the preservation of federal records,” commented on the CIA’s self-described mistake. “It’s breathtaking that this could have happened, especially in the inspector general’s office — they’re the ones that are supposed to be providing accountability within the agency itself,” he said. “It makes you wonder what was going on over there.”

The clandestine organization came under fire for its use of torture after 9/11 (and before, though it’s lesser-known), as exposed by a Senate investigation in December 2014. Following embarrassing reports of everything from sexual assault and forced rectal feeding to beatings, sleep deprivation, and other degrading practices, the CIA has since tried to clean up its image. Amid presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s calls to implement waterboarding and more torture, in general, CIA Director John Brennan disavowed the agency’s infamous practice. “I will not agree to have any CIA officer carry out waterboarding again,” he said in April.

But the CIA has a track record of deception, and has had at least one issue with destroyed documents before — that time concerning records on the agency’s coup in Iran in 1953.

The 2014 Senate report “relied on the CIA’s own records to document a pattern of an agency consistently understating the brutality of the techniques used on detainees and overstating the value of the information they produced,” the Associated Press reported in 2014.

“This is a tremendous amount of CIA misrepresentation. It is difficult to read these pages and wonder whether a system of accountability can work,” Mother Jones observed, in a thorough article examining the many ways the CIA deceived lawmakers and multiple federal agencies about its torture program.

As Democratic Senator Mark Udall flatly said“The CIA lied.”

No doubt, according to Snowden, the CIA continues to lie — and his tweet highlights growing mistrust of establishment narratives as Americans increasingly lose faith in government and other institutions.

-----

Source: Carey Wedler via TheAntiMedia.org,

VIA: ZeroHedge 

24 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Snowden is what he is calling The CIA, He belongs in Leavenworth.

I dunno, I think a lot more of our communications are encrypted post snowden.

1 hour ago, warwagon said:

I dunno, I think a lot more of our communications are encrypted post snowden.

Yes but the damage that he did was not worth it. He should be in Prison.

I don't believe Snowden is relevant anymore concerning the CIA or the NSA.  He worked for such a short period of time at the two, and with the compartmentalization within both agencies, his access overall was limited. 

As far as the "accidental destruction" of the report,

Spoiler

mOfPYXS.gif

• Like 2

"...destroyed a copy of..."

So the CIA destroyed a or its copy of the report. Anoyone in govt knows such reports are stored in multiple agencies including the originating it: the US Senate, and likely every committee who touched it. Not to mention the National Archives.

Just more FUD.

7 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Snowden is what he is calling The CIA, He belongs in Leavenworth.

after having worked in the government, we were always taught to report (whistleblowing) when institutions of government are doing wrong. Snowden did that. But the bigger issue is, our allies have figured out as a result that the CIA was spying on them without their knowledge. 

Some just don't want to believe that their beloved government could or would do such heinous acts.

7 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

after having worked in the government, we were always taught to report (whistleblowing) when institutions of government are doing wrong. Snowden did that. But the bigger issue is, our allies have figured out as a result that the CIA was spying on them without their knowledge. 

Some just don't want to believe that their beloved government could or would do such heinous acts.

I have also worked for the Government in a division of The Justice Department. What heinous act are you speaking of? Snowden is not a whistleblower he leaked sensitive data to our enemies. He , if ever found in this country will be charged with Treason. If you were a CIA operative stationed in say Yemen would you want your cover and identity blown. I do not know what your clearance if any but mine was Top Secret, and I stood by the oath that I had to take.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

I have also worked for the Government in a division of The Justice Department. What heinous act are you speaking of? Snowden is not a whistleblower he leaked sensitive data to our enemies. He , if ever found in this country will be charged with Treason. If you were a CIA operative stationed in say Yemen would you want your cover and identity blown. I do not know what your clearance if any but mine was Top Secret, and I stood by the oath that I had to take.

Snowden had no such Data.  Get your facts straight.

10 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

Snowden did that. ... our allies have figured out as a result that the CIA was spying on them without their knowledge.

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

Snowden is not a whistleblower he leaked sensitive data to our enemies.

:huh:?

2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

What oath?  Most people I know with Top Secret clearances aren't that willing to disclose that they have such clearance, makes your claim here suspect.

33 minutes ago, ctebah said:

Snowden had no such Data.  Get your facts straight.

You get your fact together.

On June 21, 2013, the U.S. Department of Justice unsealed charges against Snowden of two counts of violating the Espionage Act of 1917 and theft of government property.[5] On June 23, he flew to Moscow, Russia, where he reportedly remained for over a month. Later that summer, Russian authorities granted him one-year asylum, which was later extended to three years. As of 2015, he was still living in an undisclosed location in Russia while seeking asylum elsewhere.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-23123964

The scandal broke in early June 2013 when the Guardian newspaper reported that the US National Security Agency (NSA) was collecting the telephone records of tens of millions of Americans.

The paper published the secret court order directing telecommunications company Verizon to hand over all its telephone data to the NSA on an "ongoing daily basis".

That report was followed by revelations in both the Washington Post and Guardian that the NSA tapped directly into the servers of nine internet firms, including Facebook, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo, to track online communication in a surveillance programme known as Prism.

Britain's electronic eavesdropping agency GCHQ was also accused of gathering information on the online companies via Prism.

Shortly afterwards, the Guardian revealed that ex-CIA systems analyst Edward Snowden was behind the leaks about the US and UK surveillance programmes.

He has been charged in the US with theft of government property, unauthorised communication of national defence information and wilful communication of classified communications intelligence.

I stand by my statement. There is a right way and a wrong way. Snowden took the wrong path. If you think, an agency of The Governemet, any government is doing something that you believe is wrong there are proper methodes of doing this. He could have went to The Senate, The FBI to report this. If Snowden thinks he did nothing wrong then why did he leave the country and go to Russia? He is a coward.

Listen we are at war whether you believe it or not this war has been going on since the First Attack on the Towers in 1993. That is 23 years ago.

Imagine if you will that the attack on Pearl Harbour that took place on 12.07.1941 that cause the war with Japan, was still in progress in 1954 -23 years later. Some US Citizens would be very upset.

This Government does what it does for National Security reasons and if you think that this has just started with 9.11.01 you are living in a dream world. The same stuff has been going on since the 1950's but not under the technology that we have today. It was done using the technology of that time. If you think the US is doing something wrong then get the hell out. Go live in Venezuela ! You can't even get toilet paper there.

Ok you can now continue your praise of this stifling cowardly traitor if you so chose. I couldn't care less/

13 minutes ago, siah1214 said:

What oath?  Most people I know with Top Secret clearances aren't that willing to disclose that they have such clearance, makes your claim here suspect.

Well my clearance expired in 1970 . The oath that I took was similiar to the one the President takes. People that know me know what I speak is true. I have documents that can prove it but I cannot nor would I do that.  I was not in The Military either. I do not care if you believe me or not but it is the truth as I would swear on my Mother's grave. the reason I can say it went on in the 50's as I saw evidence of it.

3 hours ago, Gary7 said:

You get your fact together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Snowden

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-23123964

I stand by my statement. There is a right way and a wrong way. Snowden took the wrong path. If you think, an agency of The Governemet, any government is doing something that you believe is wrong there are proper methodes of doing this. He could have went to The Senate, The FBI to report this. If Snowden thinks he did nothing wrong then why did he leave the country and go to Russia? He is a coward.

Listen we are at war whether you believe it or not this war has been going on since the First Attack on the Towers in 1993. That is 23 years ago.

Imagine if you will that the attack on Pearl Harbour that took place on 12.07.1941 that cause the war with Japan, was still in progress in 1954 -23 years later. Some US Citizens would be very upset.

This Government does what it does for National Security reasons and if you think that this has just started with 9.11.01 you are living in a dream world. The same stuff has been going on since the 1950's but not under the technology that we have today. It was done using the technology of that time. If you think the US is doing something wrong then get the hell out. Go live in Venezuela ! You can't even get toilet paper there.

Ok you can now continue your praise of this stifling cowardly traitor if you so chose. I couldn't care less/

Snowden had no data that compromised CIA agents.  Sorry but you have no idea what you're talking about.  No amount of Wikipedia articles will help you. 

Judging by your posts, you never worked at the government or had access to any Top Secret data.

And Snowden thought his government did something wrong and he left.  Reporting his findings to any US agencies would have landed him in jail.  He isn't a traitor but a hero. 

Edited by Andrew

17 hours ago, ctebah said:

Yeah I'm sure it's accidental.  How stupid do people have to be to believe that excuse?

The CIA's 'accidental' destruction of torture reports excuse is as good as 'the dog ate my homework' defense.. ;) 

torture.jpg

12 hours ago, chrisj1968 said:

Yes you are right, This is America Love it or leave it. You claim to be a disabled vet, you should have more respect for your country. For those of you that believe that Snowden was a hero be sure to tell that to The ISIS guy that drops by to behead you and your family.

Title edited, topic cleaned

No personal attacks or even hints of any. If you can't discuss the topic without resorting to that, remove yourself from it ASAP.

1 hour ago, Gary7 said:

Yes you are right, This is America Love it or leave it. You claim to be a disabled vet, you should have more respect for your country. For those of you that believe that Snowden was a hero be sure to tell that to The ISIS guy that drops by to behead you and your family.

Wow ... just wow . You really believe that Snowden is helping the enemy. Better disconnect your TV right now.

Only reason why he is in Russia, is because it's the only place on the planet they cannot get him.

Go watch CitizenFour the documentary to start, then do more independant research on the subject.

The inteligence agencies don't actually protect the public AT ALL anymore, and that's been proven so many times. They use all their capabilities to gain power, by whatever means necessary. Like Industrial espionage for exemple, I work in IT. We have clients now who parts of their business is disconnected from the internet. And for good reasons. All closed circuit, encrypted, and nothing gets out.

People from the old generation really don't get what's it's all about now, specially with all the software and hardware capabilities

Edited by 2xSilverKnight
  • Like 2

Another thing .. You know all those leaked nude pictures from girls and other celebrities. Well a lot of them probably comes from inteligence analyst that has the kind of access Snowden had (Infrastructure analyst, system admin), who's got access to the bulk data that the NSA and GCHQ are capturing. So when they come accross these pictures and they like that one for example, they pass it along to their co workers or friends. And if they can identify the person in the picture, they will grant themselves access to their accounts and download the whole content if it exist.

Snowden has talked about this more or less already.

Celebrities are easier to track, so I wouldn't be surprised if some inteligence analyst are responsible for the Fappening.

And that is the problem ... There is absolutelly no oversight on these agencies.

Edited by 2xSilverKnight
  • Like 1