PSA - "Get Windows 10" - Click the "X" and you've agreed to the upgrade.

I think this just changed a few days ago.  It appears the only way to cancel automatically updating to Windows 10 is by clicking the small "here" or avoiding the persistent KB3035583.  Hit the red "X" ... and you've agreed to update.  

From Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675

Windows 10 is the best, most secure Windows ever – and it’s easy to get your free upgrade. If you’re a Windows 7 or 8.1 customer, be sure to complete your upgrade before the free upgrade offer expires on July 29, 2016. 

To check your status or make a change to your upgrade schedule or notifications, see the instructions below. Additional frequently asked questions about the free upgrade can be found here. 

You may have received a notification (like the pop-up screen shown here) about upgrading your PC to Windows 10.

3163284.png

This notification means your Windows 10 upgrade will occur at the time indicated, unless you select either Upgrade now or “Click here to change upgrade schedule or cancel scheduled upgrade”. If you click on OK or on the red “X”, you’re all set for the upgrade and there is nothing further to do.  

When you close this pop up, your PC will upgrade at the scheduled time. Based on customer feedback, in the most recent version of the Get Windows 10 (GWX) app, we confirm the time of your scheduled upgrade and provide you an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade.

/snip

Now, this my friends, is completely unacceptable.  The "X" has always been a "ohhh crud...get me outta here" ... not a "please continue whatever you're doing".  I've been pretty level headed about the whole upgrade process ... I just have issues with GWX appearing ever so often ... but this is some bull manure.  This is Microsoft deceiving the end user.  Though I am curious what the "additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade" entails considering that "there is nothing further to do".  

Also, less than three weeks after I hid the last KB3033583...it came back today.  /sigh  August cannot come fast enough.

Capture.JPG

Just found a pretty good article from Paul Thurrott which summarizes my feelings pretty well....

Last week, Microsoft silently changed Get Windows 10 yet again. And this time, it has gone beyond the social engineering scheme that has been fooling people into inadvertently upgrading to Windows 10 for months. This time, it actually changed the behavior of the window that appears so that if you click the “Close” window box, you are actually agreeing to the upgrade. Without you knowing what just happened.

Previously, closing this window would correctly signal that you do not want the upgrade. So Microsoft didn’t change the wording in the window. It didn’t make an “Upgrade now” button bigger, or a non-existent “don’t ever upgrade” button smaller. It pulled a switcheroonie. It’s like going out to your car in the morning and discovering that the gas pedal now applies the brakes, while the brake pedal washes the windshield. Have a fun commute!

The violation of trust here is almost indescribable. It’s bad enough that Microsoft has been training Windows 7 and 8.1 users—i.e. most Windows users—to not trust Windows 10 because of this horrible, unstoppable advertisement. But now they will not trust their own sanity because all they’ll remember is that they dismissed the advertisement by clicking the Close windows box. Why on earth did Windows 10 just install on my PC?!?

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/67367/upgradegate-microsofts-upgrade-deceptions-undermining-windows-10

31 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

/sigh  August cannot come fast enough.

I frankly don't expect much to change after August. Microsoft will probably find new ways to trick you into downloading Windows 10 onto your computer, then offer 'special pricing' to get you to upgrade. The way they've acted with Windows 10 has been absolutely shameful.

I do everything I need to do on my 6P, but I will never buy another Microsoft product of any kind ever again. You f with people's trust, you pay, Microsoft! 

7f52390a8fa8f875416f95446b953478

I've been using Mac OS X as my primary OS now since 8.1, and every now and then I get the urge to go back to 10 as my daily driver, but nonsense like this really turns me off. Also the half baked, dual UI still annoys the crap out of me. I need something to play some legacy games though... I wonder if they'll run under wine.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I gotta question somewhat related

When macOS updates, does it happen in a similar matter?

Depends. You can either have it automatically update or you're notified of a pending update. There's no gotchas like this though. You click out of it and it won't update (assuming you're not automatically updating). Complete OS upgrades are also opt in. You may get a nag, but I think it's only once and then it won't bother you again. You may have a badge icon though. Again though, no tricks or shady UI practices to somehow get you into a new OS.

• Like 2

I read about this yesterday on BBC and Daily Mirror web sites.  Very ###### move on Microsoft's part.

5 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

Oh Microsoft... when will they learn? 

The day everybody jumps ship (like that'll happen)

But if it did, Microsoft would have to sit down and rethink their strategy once sales plummet

like it or hate it is irrelevant, so long as they get paid.

• Like 2

I  love Windows 10. I find it better than 7 and wayyy better than 8. With that said, this is a pretty ###### move on microsofts part. Respect if people don't want it, and stop trying to force and trick it upon people.

17 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Just read this on Slashdot - change of mind after the news it was getting

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/25/1812233/microsoft-backtracks-on-nasty-trick-upgrade-to-windows-10

Thanks for the update.  Still, the "X" is agreeing to the upgrade ... they've just now "added another notification that confirms the time of the scheduled upgrade and provides the customer an additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade." (which was in KB3095675 and in the OP)

and it further goes on to say....

"If the customer wishes to continue with their upgrade at the designated time, they can click 'OK' or close (i.e. the "X" ?) the notifications with no further action needed." 

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376962

I am curious to what this additional opportunity looks like though.

Still very deceptive that they haven't returned the "X" to its previous and well known behavior.

16 minutes ago, metallithrax said:

Just read this on Slashdot - change of mind after the news it was getting

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/16/05/25/1812233/microsoft-backtracks-on-nasty-trick-upgrade-to-windows-10

Doesnt really matter.  Damage already done.  And the fact that MS would do something like this ....well, just goes to show they are just as dirty handed as all other companies out there.

46 minutes ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I gotta question somewhat related

When macOS updates, does it happen in a similar matter?

Yes, though it won't auto schedule you for closing an 'X' and it's a small notification. Wtf. 

• Like 1

Once again Microsoft shoots itself in the food. Lots of good will giving away windows 10 then they pull this BS. They really need some some good PR people.

I suspect that most people have forgotten that they probably gave it permission a year ago. What's happening now is that Windows is nagging you *when* to upgrade because it's already been told it can.

• Like 1

This really is getting beyond a joke. FWIW I'm happy with Windows 10 and would encourage most people to upgrade to it unless they have something that just doesn't work. But these aggressive and shoddy tactics are extremely underhand and it's bad news for consumers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Yogurth said:

I think one can freely call GWX a malware. All the checkboxes are now ticked.

Agreed. 

Wtf MS. 

10 minutes ago, LimeMaster said:

I like Windows 10, although I don't like how desperate they are: 

snipped

I don't either.  i mean I prefer to download and install when i am ready. 

I have iMac and I can download and install OS X anytime at App Store. I like this method. MS should do this method instead.

2 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Yeah I know how dare they give me a free upgrade to my OS, scum bags....

How dare they force it upon people? I was with you until an 'X' suddenly became an acceptance icon. That is total BS.