PSA - "Get Windows 10" - Click the "X" and you've agreed to the upgrade.

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

The "X" has always been a "ohhh crud...get me outta here" ... not a "please continue whatever you're doing".

I don't agree with the assertion that the close button means get me out of here, or I don't want this to be true.  If an anti-spyware program alerts you of spyware on your system, clicking the X doesn't suddenly make it untrue.  The X button is to dismiss the window because you don't want to interact with it.  The window is quite clear and says the machine 'will' be upgraded at a given time.  I like Windows 10, and am not a fan of Microsoft continuously changing their approach to encourage users of older versions to upgrade.  To me August can't come soon enough either - so I can hear less moaning.  Although if Microsoft come good in stopping offering Win10 for free (which for the record I don't think they will), then I suspect we will see a lot of moaning about it not being available.

12 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

I don't either.  i mean I prefer to download and install when i am ready. 

I have iMac and I can download and install OS X anytime at App Store. I like this method. MS should do this method instead.

Windows versions previous to 8 didn't have an App Store.  Also, when Microsoft tried to offer Windows 8.1 upgrade in the store, it wasn't prominent enough for people to know it was available.

The BBC posted about this some time today. I agree that Microsoft should be pushing the average consumer towards the upgrade, but this particular move is very underhanded.

As it stands though, Microsoft have done a u-turn. I guess they're going for throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks.

18 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Yeah I know how dare they give me a free upgrade to my OS, scum bags....

Xendrome!   You've just won a FREE car recycling!   Someone will pickup your car FOR FREE and remove it from your property FOR FREE and you never have to deal with it again!  You may opt in by replying to this message or anyone else may reply to it also on your behalf to opt you in!   No need to thank us for this generosity!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

Windows versions previous to 8 didn't have an App Store.  Also, when Microsoft tried to offer Windows 8.1 upgrade in the store, it wasn't prominent enough for people to know it was available.

That's MS' problem...  they should have alert people with a notification in the action center on the right side to let them know that the new version available in the windows store.

Or send an email to the users about it. Then they can download and install from there. I got email from insider from Gabe every preview release.

Basic users does not go to the settings... all they do is go straight to the web, email, etc...    They don't do the advanced settings like we do.   They can do check the action center to see whats new.. such as email, app releases, etc.

19 minutes ago, RottGutt said:

For those who haven't seen it yet, there is a fascinating read on how crappy and laughably bad Windows 10 is here:

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

I believe it reveals a lot about "why" this OS shouldn't be installed or trusted on any computer. Anywhere. Ever.

Mostly FUD.  Many of the complaints were simply opinions and the personal taste of the person writing the article.  But this reflects the general attitude of folks who write about technology.  Now, don't get me wrong - I think what Microsoft is doing with this bully tactic getting people to upgrade is not good.  But when it comes to folks who spout out their opinions on the Internet about technology, Microsoft is the biggest punching bag their is.  

There is literally nothing Microsoft could have done, or will ever do, that wouldn't have vehemently drawn the wrath of folks like the guy who wrote the above article.  

Why does Windows 10 suck?  Because I think it does, that's why!  

52 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Well...if the user knows and accepts that they are upgrading ...sure.  You have to admit though...this "X" tactic is a bit shady...no?

43 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

I don't agree with the assertion that the close button means get me out of here, or I don't want this to be true.  If an anti-spyware program alerts you of spyware on your system, clicking the X doesn't suddenly make it untrue.  The X button is to dismiss the window because you don't want to interact with it.  The window is quite clear and says the machine 'will' be upgraded at a given time.  I like Windows 10, and am not a fan of Microsoft continuously changing their approach to encourage users of older versions to upgrade.  To me August can't come soon enough either - so I can hear less moaning.  Although if Microsoft come good in stopping offering Win10 for free (which for the record I don't think they will), then I suspect we will see a lot of moaning about it not being available.

Well...you get my point though.  Hitting the "X" closes things.  I hit "X" on Chrome and I cease to browse the web.  I hit "X" here and 7-Zip doesn't install...it will not install sometime later.

Capture.JPG

Your Spyware analogy really doesn't really make sense either.  You hit "X" and you cease the function of the program (unless it is programmed to scan/run/minimize to system tray like MSE) ... thus it will not clean up the spyware.  Has really nothing to do with spyware being true or not.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RottGutt said:

For those who haven't seen it yet, there is a fascinating read on how crappy and laughably bad Windows 10 is here:

I believe it reveals a lot about "why" this OS shouldn't be installed or trusted on any computer. Anywhere. Ever.

Meh! I dislike that article. It's created by someone who really dislikes Windows & hasn't used it properly in years:

37 minutes ago, RottGutt said:

When Tashkinov advertised his article on this forum, he was previously informed about at least one of the issues in it, but there was apparently no effort made to correct the information. Note that this is the same person who complained about Windows 10 not working after making changes to a directory, and this in spite of Microsoft's documentation which states that one should not do so.

On topic, I feel that the "X" should work to decline the upgrade.

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

Right, because as long as the OS upgrade is free it totally excuses the ridiculously underhand tactics that were being used here :rolleyes:

As I said earlier, Windows 10 is a great OS and personally I would advise people to upgrade. But forcing upgrades onto people's computers in such an underhand manner just isn't acceptable. It wouldn't be acceptable if Microsoft were paying YOU to install Windows 10.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RottGutt said:

99% of the stuff in that link is inaccurate and FUD.

44 minutes ago, wangliang5 said:

yes , i get the same question . automatically updating to Windows 10 . it tends to force users to upgrade. it's so sad . :(

To be clear: it is NOT automatically updating people. It is just not as clear on how to cancel it. 'X' should never be an acceptance. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Draconian Guppy said:

I gotta question somewhat related

When macOS updates, does it happen in a similar matter?

Point releases auto-update, minor releases (eg. 10.10.x to 10.11) you have to actually goto the app store and click download/install

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

Point releases auto-update, minor releases (eg. 10.10.x to 10.11) you have to actually goto the app store and click download/install

Huh?

Neither release version auto-updates unless you set it to. 

7 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

How dare they force it upon people? I was with you until an 'X' suddenly became an acceptance icon. That is total BS. 

X marks the spot  :p

8 hours ago, Javik said:

This really is getting beyond a joke. FWIW I'm happy with Windows 10 and would encourage most people to upgrade to it unless they have something that just doesn't work. But these aggressive and shoddy tactics are extremely underhand and it's bad news for consumers.

This is how I feel too.

I don't get the hate windows 10 gets but on the other hand MS deserves all the flak they get for pulling stuff like this.

• Like 1

It's getting to the stage now when it's just safer just to switch off all updates until Microsoft stops this evil tactic with people who don't want to switch. 

26 minutes ago, Matthew S. said:

There is no auto update on my end... which means it is off. 

When the OS is available, I go ahead and have it downloaded and installed..  especially the minor updates which usually available at the app store as what the poster, below you, said.  Unless you have auto update enabled.

4 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

This is how I feel too.

I don't get the hate windows 10 gets but on the other hand MS deserves all the flak they get for pulling stuff like this.

Dont hate Win10 myself.  What I hate is when family members/friends get duped in to update, or updated with out knowing, and I get a phone call because now things are not working properly.  Win10 upgrade has issues, for a lot of people.  Mostly driver related.  Kinda sucks when you upgrade your Win7 and all of a sudden the network, video, or sound does not work properly.  Why these things should be planned. 

8 hours ago, xendrome said:

It's not free by any definition, as you pay them with the data/analytics you provide to them. This is made evident by every Microsoft/Windows 10 defender claiming we should accept whatever nonsense Microsoft gives us, because they gave us a "free" upgrade. If that's the case, then it is no longer free, but rather a trade that is also not really agreed upon, when users are tricked into upgrading especially in such a manner. The ugly part is when these "upgrades" botch a machine, jeopardizing their software purchases with an OS that is no longer compatible with the software they were running. Is Microsoft going to pick up the tab for that?

Now, I have Windows 10 on my PC, and while I don't really have a problem with it, I do take issue with these heavy handed practices. Windows 10 could've been great, but instead, they start doing this crap. It's beyond frustrating; I was hopeful with Nadella, but all I'm seeing from Microsoft is fail after fail after fail, from a consumer standpoint. Hell, even as a network administrator, I'm not very pleased with them by any means, with exception to Amber Li on their support team who's been amazing in assisting with domain controller issues.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, dead.cell said:

It's not free by any definition, as you pay them with the data/analytics you provide to them. This is made evident by every Microsoft/Windows 10 defender claiming we should accept whatever nonsense Microsoft gives us, because they gave us a "free" upgrade. If that's the case, then it is no longer free, but rather a trade that is also not really agreed upon, when users are tricked into upgrading especially in such a manner. The ugly part is when these "upgrades" botch a machine, jeopardizing their software purchases with an OS that is no longer compatible with the software they were running. Is Microsoft going to pick up the tab for that?

Now, I have Windows 10 on my PC, and while I don't really have a problem with it, I do take issue with these heavy handed practices. Windows 10 could've been great, but instead, they start doing this crap. It's beyond frustrating; I was hopeful with Nadella, but all I'm seeing from Microsoft is fail after fail after fail, from a consumer standpoint. Hell, even as a network administrator, I'm not very pleased with them by any means, with exception to Amber Li on their support team who's been amazing in assisting with domain controller issues.

MS was collecting that same data for versions that weren't free, so...no. 

• Like 2

What makes this latest underhanded trick so pathetic is that in the previous upgrade box you had to click the X to make it go away, and now in this latest box the X does completely the opposite of what everyone expects it to. Sadly I'm not shocked or surprised Microsoft would pull such a manoeuvre these days, even their own guidelines say "The Close button on the title bar should have the same effect as the Cancel or Close button within the dialog box. Never give it the same effect as OK". 

I've seen rogueware less shady than this...