PSA - "Get Windows 10" - Click the "X" and you've agreed to the upgrade.

There's no problem with this window. Actually, it is entirely logical. It doesn't offer to schedule an upgrade. By the time this window is shown, the upgrade is already scheduled automatically to install at the time determined by the system. The window merely notifies the user of that fact, and allows to change the settings, i.e. reschedule or cancel the upgrade. So if the user closes the window, nothing is changed, i.e. the upgrade remains scheduled automatically.

The real problem is: the system schedules the upgrade without first asking the user. There is no window asking "Do you want to schedule the upgrade or not?".

Edited by alex_d2w

You guys are seriously mistaking what the X means.  X just means close.  That is it.  Done.  It closes the window.  If it is a dialog (in the case of the 7zip dialog screen shot posted earlier you NEEDED to interact and click buttons to actually execute), it will JUST CLOSE.  It is simple as that.  The 7Zip dialog is JUST CLOSED which means it cannot do anything.  So it is implied that it is canceled, but it is not really.  You didn't do ANYTHING with that window, so it did not perform anything.

Look at the first screen shot.  It already says the update has been scheduled.  The X is neither accepting or canceling this process.  It is JUST CLOSING.  The update is already scheduled.  The X button does not do that.

16 hours ago, RottGutt said:

For those who haven't seen it yet, there is a fascinating read on how crappy and laughably bad Windows 10 is here:

http://itvision.altervista.org/why-windows-10-sucks.html

I believe it reveals a lot about "why" this OS shouldn't be installed or trusted on any computer. Anywhere. Ever.

Much of this is FUD.

I think its a really good thing, Windows 10 is better, more secure, why not?

For other side, this mandatory update can be really bad for companys with specific software, as for my experience, every software that worked on 7 worked very well on 10.

The Mail native App also is a good thing, notifications etc... Games work better on 10 too.

1 hour ago, lunamonkey said:

You agreed to automatically install recommended updates maybe....?

Not on my Windows 7 Pro sysprep master SSD. That I recently turned on. I NEVER agreed to upgrade that SSD, yet I got a box that appeared after it got to the desktop telling me it was going to install it on X date and X time...aka if I would have left the machine on it would have automatically installed windows 10.

19 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

I think this just changed a few days ago.  It appears the only way to cancel automatically updating to Windows 10 is by clicking the small "here" or avoiding the persistent KB3035583.  Hit the red "X" ... and you've agreed to update.  

From Microsoft - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3095675

Now, this my friends, is completely unacceptable.  The "X" has always been a "ohhh crud...get me outta here" ... not a "please continue whatever you're doing".  I've been pretty level headed about the whole upgrade process ... I just have issues with GWX appearing ever so often ... but this is some bull manure.  This is Microsoft deceiving the end user.  Though I am curious what the "additional opportunity for cancelling or rescheduling the upgrade" entails considering that "there is nothing further to do".  

Also, less than three weeks after I hid the last KB3033583...it came back today.  /sigh  August cannot come fast enough.

Capture.JPG

yeah i had a computer upgrade by itself, even though i always just clicked the X button before, and thought other users to do the same :(

The current CEO is Satya Nadella. His ethical system is clearly different, a refreshing wind of change from the culture he grew up in.

20 hours ago, jjkusaf said:

Still very deceptive that they haven't returned the "X" to its previous and well known behavior.

Technically the 'X' hasn't changed behaviour, it's simply exiting out of the window thus making no change to the window, that's the problem though. It's been twisted the media as usual.

Pretty ###### on MS's part, the behaviour of the window should be changed from opt out to opt in.

With this new behavior indicated on the site, they will have pretty much upgraded the majority of the population to Windows 10 by July.

20 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

How dare they force it upon people? I was with you until an 'X' suddenly became an acceptance icon. That is total BS. 

The problem is, the X doesn't do anything because windows 10 already scheduled to install the update for you. Just like it did on my Windows 7 pro SSD. Technically the X is working just like it should. It closes the window.  

The only way the X would function the way some of you think it should in this case, is if you open a program, make changes and then exit without saving. At which point it would ask you "Do you want to save your change"

In this case Windows 10 has already made and saved the changes for you. Which in is the problem.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, warwagon said:

With this new behavior indicated on the site, the will have pretty much upgraded the majority of the population to Windows 10 by July.

The problem is, the X doesn't do anything because windows 10 already scheduled to install the update for you. Just like it did on my Windows 7 pro SSD. Technically the X is working just like it should. It closes the window. 

Precidely. The issue isn't whether the close box works the way it is supposed to or not. The issue is that a major upgrade is set as opt-in by default, so that closing the window maintains that default.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Technically the 'X' hasn't changed behaviour, it's simply exiting out of the window thus making no change to the window, that's the problem though. It's been twisted the media as usual.

Pretty ###### on MS's part, the behaviour of the window should be changed from opt out to opt in.

Exactly what I was trying to say earlier in the thread.  It's disingenuous but not incorrect.

• Like 1

There is no known universe that anyone can actually defend with a straight face what MS has done here. None.

I made this wireframe mock up image of the window itself quickly to break it down as simple as possible.
tZQb.png

We can all agree that Microsoft was presenting users with a choice. Right? 

But a simple breakdown of the composition and the layout shows that in fact they were doing everything they could to assure that person would have a difficult time choosing the No portion of the choice being presented.

First, they buried the No option among lines of text. On it's own away from all other "buttons." It also is just text and not a button. People can try and use the excuse that it is the end users fault for not reading that text but that is ###### to anyone who works in computers and knows the actions of your typical end user. They absolutely DO NOT read text, and MS was clearly counting on this fact.

Then instead of offering a simple Yes or No choice side by side, instead it was a Yes / Yes choice. And please make note, the one choice they actually wanted people to choose is the only button to be chosen. I mean cmon, seriously. Is that not enough to prove this was intentional?

Finally in way is the most egregious offense of them all, they took what is universally known as the exit of out of the Window and make no choice button to actually be the choice they wanted button. 

There is just no excuse for this. Simply none. Anyone trying to say there is just is either blinded by loyalty to MS and/or simply just does not know anything about UI design.

This is as intentional as it gets. It is downright blatant.

And FTR, this does not affect myself as I have been on Windows 10 since Day 1. I just will not let them pass for taking advantage of not so savvy users, and that is the other thing to keep in mind. I think everyone on this site itself should and would no better. The discussion should not really be about if it affects anywhere here as it absolutely should not. Who it does affect is your parents, your grandmother, etc. etc. Normal everyday people who barely know how to use their computer to begin with. MS went out of their way to intentionally confuse those people, and that is not cool.

1 hour ago, DirtyLarry said:

There is no known universe that anyone can actually defend with a straight face what MS has done here. None.tentionally confuse those people, and that is not cool.

Do you not know how the close window 'X' works then?

4 hours ago, DirtyLarry said:

There is no known universe that anyone can actually defend with a straight face what MS has done here. None.

Then instead of offering a simple Yes or No choice side by side, instead it was a Yes / Yes choice. And please make note, the one choice they actually wanted people to choose is the only button to be chosen. I mean cmon, seriously. Is that not enough to prove this was intentional?

Finally in way is the most egregious offense of them all, they took what is universally known as the exit of out of the Window and make no choice button to actually be the choice they wanted button. 

There is just no excuse for this. Simply none. Anyone trying to say there is just is either blinded by loyalty to MS and/or simply just does not know anything about UI design.

This is as intentional as it gets. It is downright blatant.

... MS went out of their way to intentionally confuse those people, and that is not cool.

Good summary of what I think!   Not cool at all.   Especially for non tech savvy people who barely learned how to use their current setup, and who absolutely DO NOT WANT CHANGES, like my parents or other older people.

5 hours ago, E.worm Jimmy said:

Good summary of what I think!   Not cool at all.   Especially for non tech savvy people who barely learned how to use their current setup, and who absolutely DO NOT WANT CHANGES, like my parents or other older people.

Even the tech savvy get caught off guard sometimes. I'll just leave this here...

3 hours ago, dead.cell said:

Even the tech savvy get caught off guard sometimes. I'll just leave this here...

This guy was not tech savvy. He knew it was coming. 

As I've said before, people who know what they're doing & have valid reasons to stay on the previous OS's would have known to just not install the GWX update (There's only one KB3035583) to never get the Windows 10 upgrade. Others who do not know how to do this, probably shouldn't be screwing around staying on older OS's anyway as it will come to the point where things are just not going to be developed for Windows 7 & 8.1 any more. Unless there is a technical reason, I simply do not think that blocking Windows 10 on an average users PC is a good idea.

On 5/30/2016 at 5:25 AM, Vince800 said:

As I've said before, people who know what they're doing & have valid reasons to stay on the previous OS's would have known to just not install the GWX update (There's only one KB3035583) to never get the Windows 10 upgrade. Others who do not know how to do this, probably shouldn't be screwing around staying on older OS's anyway as it will come to the point where things are just not going to be developed for Windows 7 & 8.1 any more. Unless there is a technical reason, I simply do not think that blocking Windows 10 on an average users PC is a good idea.

I've lost count of the number of times I've uninstalled and/or hidden KB3035583. MS keeps "helpfully" redeploying it. :angry:

Well, that's what Never10 is for.