New Top Gear (2016) - Hit or miss?

New Top Gear (2016) - Hit or miss?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• Yes
    • No
    • Couldn't care less

I'm not a fan of Chris Evans but I thought the show was actually OK. I'll definitely keep watching, not like there is anything better to watch on a Sunday evening.

Only saw the last half of Sunday's show, but that last half was already better than the first ep.

I still have hopes it'll pull itself together and find its own identity and fingers crossed that identity isn't "TFI Top Gear".

Second episode was a lot better than the first one, but Chris Evans still needs to go. I don't know how his personality is, but it seems he forcefully tries to be Clarkson, and does an absolutely miserable job. He'd come off better if he was just himself. Also, the twitter posts (FACTS) make him look really childish - what is he trying to prove?

I mean take a look at the orangutan trying to assemble a box:

At this point I find this clip to be much more enjoyable than new Top Gear...the chemistry these guys have is just unbeatable. 

• Like 3

The "crying" scenes on the second Top Gear Extra with Chris "Wooden" Evans were worse than walking in on your grandparents having bondage sex in the kitchen. Top Gear will continue to be stuck in First Gear until Evans goes, although Matt LaBlanc has been a surprisingly good presenter.

1 hour ago, tsupersonic said:

the twitter posts (FACTS) make him look really childish - what is he trying to prove?

How is posting facts childish?

He's right there; the BARB boxes that are used to gather viewing figures are becoming more and more irrelevant now that we watch more and more TV through catch-up/on-demand services and even watch live through the internet (like I've been doing for this series). http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/06/chris-evans-top-gear-ratings-bbc

34 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

How is posting facts childish?

He's right there; the BARB boxes that are used to gather viewing figures are becoming more and more irrelevant now that we watch more and more TV through catch-up/on-demand services and even watch live through the internet (like I've been doing for this series). http://www.theguardian.com/media/2016/jun/06/chris-evans-top-gear-ratings-bbc

He comes off as a whiny little bitch when he posted his so called FACTS (which btw are wrong), and it's hard to take him seriously...If the show was any good, you wouldn't have to defend viewer ratings regardless of how people consume the show. The guy just isn't cut out for the role, he can't drive worth a damn (he needs driving lessons from the Stig), his personality and chemistry w/ team is lacking so far. 

I want the show to succeed so I can have another car show to watch, but it would be much better w/o Evans. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, tsupersonic said:

He comes off as a whiny little bitch when he posted his so called FACTS (which btw are wrong)

It'd help if you provided some proof. The link I posted said "more than 8 million" and he claimed 9 million, so at worst, he's rounded up.

6 minutes ago, MightyJordan said:

It'd help if you provided some proof. The link I posted said "more than 8 million" and he claimed 9 million, so at worst, he's rounded up.

The facts aren't childish, the manner in which he shared them is.

• Like 2

I agree with haggis, jensen came across very down to earth and quite interesting, he would be a good addition, i did feel a lump in my throat with chris in the mclaren, he was better this week, not so animated.

I actually quite enjoyed the s africa piece, definately an improvement, ill give it another couple of episodes.

Bit of a random curveball here, they should approach guy martin, i know hes bikes but i could watch and listen to him for days on end.

50 minutes ago, Mando said:

I agree with haggis, jensen came across very down to earth and quite interesting, he would be a good addition, i did feel a lump in my throat with chris in the mclaren, he was better this week, not so animated.

I actually quite enjoyed the s africa piece, definately an improvement, ill give it another couple of episodes.

Bit of a random curveball here, they should approach guy martin, i know hes bikes but i could watch and listen to him for days on end.

Guy Martin was one of the favourites going into this. It's such a shame that he wasn't picked. Maybe next series? 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, John. said:

Guy Martin was one of the favourites going into this. It's such a shame that he wasn't picked. Maybe next series? 

Hope so :) him n jensen challenging the stig. :D

3 hours ago, MightyJordan said:

Check autoblog and jalopnik, both are reporting very low user ratings. There's also loads of articles online saying viewership dropped on the 2nd episode. I don't find it hard to believe at all...

Second episode was better, IMO ... but that isn't saying much after the first episode.  Evans still needs to go ... or at least be less annoying.  The whole "and on that bombshell" is worn out ... leave that to Clarkson ... instead of trying to be funny...I guess?

Anyway, it was better (2 out of 10 stars) ... the rally car segment still blows.  Should have just left the original one.  Am looking forward to the Tesla next week.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Am looking forward to the Tesla next week.

Yeah, I'll continue to watch it, and looking forward to Tesla and Chris Harris for next week. This is the first time Tesla is back on TGTV after that whole fiasco, so it should be interesting. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wakjak said:

Chris Harris/Rory Reid/Matt Leblanc

Those should be the 3 hosts, with Sabine doing driving segments, and that's it. Those would bring ratings.

Agreed on that, unfortunately I don't think Evans is right for this role.

I think the show is a lot better than I expected as I had pretty low expectations and I'll continue to watch for now.

Too early to tell to be honest. I'm a huge fan of the trio (and cannot wait for their next adventure in the Grand Tour), however, everyone seems to forget it sucked pretty badly in the beginning (and did so for a few seasons) not to mention fans of original TopGear were screaming from the rooftops that it'll never work and should of been left to die etc. James May wasn't even an original cast member (of the Clarkson reboot version) and the format changed a fair bit before they found the cast/format they we know and love. I'm giving New TopGear that same chance, the format will probably change as the cast learn what the audience likes and what they do best at and there even may be a reshuffle of the cast (or even outright recasting if needed). Well my thoughts on it anyway...

Edited by Xerxes

5 hours ago, wakjak said:

Chris Harris/Rory Reid/Matt Leblanc

Those should be the 3 hosts, with Sabine doing driving segments, and that's it. Those would bring ratings.

beMUG7g.gif

^^ Even he'd approve of that. Rory Reid and Chris Harris need to be permanent fixtures on the main show, not just on Extra Gear.

Shame the Tesla Model X got bumped from last week's episode. Hope it's definitely in for this week.

While the BBC did the right thing by ending the contract of a person who assaulted a colleague, the Hammond, May & Clarkson trio has simply been proven irreplacable

I do not really like it compared to the "old" top gear. I've seen all four episodes so far and I have to admit though that if you try not to make comparisons and just watch it as a simple car show it is kind of OK.

The main reason that with each episode the show is getting better is that it involves less Chris Evans time. Matt le Blanc is enjoyable and slowly getting there, Sabine is a joy and so is Eddie Jordan. I also like the other two fellas actually reviewing cars.

I believe they all fit together well, but Chris Evans comes in to destroy the mix. He does not fit well with anyone on the panel. Everything he says or does seems too forced.

PS: Kudos to the production team for the amazing shots. It is good to know at least that production is still top notch. I mean look at that shot:

Edited by 0nyX
Added image
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, 0nyX said:

I do not really like it compared to the "old" top gear. I've seen all four episodes so far and I have to admit though that if you try not to make comparisons and just watch it as a simple car show it is kind of OK.

The main reason that with each episode the show is getting better is that it involves less Chris Evans time. Matt le Blanc is enjoyable and slowly getting there, Sabine is a joy and so is Eddie Jordan. I also like the other two fellas actually reviewing cars.

I believe they all fit together well, but Chris Evans comes in to destroy the mix. He does not fit well with anyone on the panel. Everything he says or does seems too forced.

Pretty much what I think. I saw episode three last night and although Evans has toned it down significantly, for me he's still not a great fit. 

I loved the segment with the hot hatches and the R8

There's still a few segments that I'm not really a fan of. The Star in a Rally Cross Car, doesn't work for me. I wasn't a big fan of SIARPC, so doesn't surprise. I really dislike the segment with the celebs competition on their first cars. Probably the last really cringeworthy bit. 

Less Evans and cringe, more of the others and they have a half decent show. A few more seasons between the likes of Reid, Harris, LeBlanc and Sabine and they'll have build some chemistry and the jokes/conversations won't seem to forced.

On 31/05/2016 at 6:25 PM, Slugsie said:

For those who think it was dreadful, just go and watch a few episodes from the pre Clarkson/Hammond/May era to remind yourselves of how god awful the original show was. As bad as you might think the new TG is, it's still light years ahead of the original version.

For the sake of comparison, two TG episodes from before the Clarkson/Hammond/May era . . . 

One from the late 90's:

And one from the early 80's:

Plus an old Top Gear episode from featuring Clarkson as a reporter . . .

One of the benefits of iPlayer is you can scrub through the "I have an ego and lot's of celebrity friends really I do" in a rally car but that to me is 12+ minutes of a show wasted. Not sure I'll watch live again.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm done with this show now, sad to say.  Evans is just too irritating to tolerate for long without REALLY wanting to smack him in the face with a two by four, and though I kinda like LeBlanc, I get a strong vibe that what we're seeing is Matt LeBlanc acting the role of a presenter, instead of Matt LeBlanc presenting, if you know what I mean...  I'd like to see some of his own personality, please...

• Like 2