Former Stanford swimmer gets six months in jail for sexual assault of unconscious woman

16 minutes ago, Hum said:

Let's do away with judges and let the Internet vote for how long his sentence will be.

Because judges always make good calls. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nik L said:

No it's not rape.  I agree with your sentiment, but it's not rape by any US court, liberal judge or otherwise.

Ignorant post is ignorant (and pretty xenophobic too)

If you quote me please quote my post in entirety

2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Stop obsession with being so self important. You have no idea what is being said here. Maybe in The UK it is OK to rape unconscious women. Here is it a crime/

2 hours ago, Gary7 said:

If you quote me please quote my post in entirety

I quoted the only section to which I was responding.  The rest of it, as I said, I agreed with the sentiment.

Don't attempt to lecture me on how to respond, when your attempts at putting forth an argument are laughable.

3 minutes ago, perochan said:

the victim should make the call of how long he is going jailed for.

No, the representative of the judicial system should.  But they SHOULD also not be biased, I personally feel this one was.

• Like 2

Anything else I'd have to say about this walking pile of bovine excrement and his similarly worthless father and the judge would get me banned, so I'll end with this

Wood_Chipper___Shredder.jpg

14 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Maybe you should look in a mirror and while you are at it look up the definition of Rape.

Another nonsense argument without any merit.  Sorry, but what actually is your problem?  You gave a definition of what YOU THOUGHT rape means, which is entirely incorrect.  You don't understand the difference between rape and sexual assault, and yet wished to suggest the law was somehow in the wrong.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Nik L said:

Another nonsense argument without any merit.  Sorry, but what actually is your problem?  You gave a definition of what YOU THOUGHT rape means, which is entirely incorrect.  You don't understand the difference between rape and sexual assault, and yet wished to suggest the law was somehow in the wrong.  

The law has been wrong on several occasions. The law is can be interpreted by judges for or against.  I just want to know why the British feel as if they have some kind of moral high ground over Americans. Americans are rightly outraged over the verdict and since they are the British feel the need to try and shame us for it.

13 hours ago, Nik L said:

Yes I am an ex law enforcement officer and you are trying to tell me that I do not know the meaning of Rape.

FVI The Judge will be lucky to keep his position another week. The source below is The Wiki. You can call me all the names you please, I have heard them all.

Rape is a type of sexual assault usually involving sexual intercourse or other forms of sexual penetration perpetrated against a person without that person's consent. The act may be carried out by physical force, coercion, abuse of authority or against a person who is incapable of giving valid consent, such as one who is unconscious, incapacitated, has an intellectual disability or below the legal age of consent.[1][2][3] The term rape is sometimes used interchangeably with the term sexual assault.[4]

On 6/7/2016 at 10:44 AM, TrueMonolith said:

The kid is going on a sex offender registry.

Forget "he got an alleviated sentence", the guy will be paying the rest of his life, given that he will be locked out of certain neighbourhoods, occupations, and potentially businesses.

From my understanding this is his first criminal offense (if I'm reading everything on this story correctly), which would convince me that he's probably not in the mindset to reoffend. Given the seriousness of the crime, I probably would have given him more than 6 months, but definitely not the max (I mean, come on, theres no need to make someone a career criminal if they aren't one). But lets not sugar coat the fact that he's far from "getting away with it". His life is more or less ruined.

I'm not minimising the rape, but realistically, you shouldn't have a criminal justice system who's aim is to increase the number of criminals.

Boohoo.  He should stay in prison to think about just how it's going to affect his life knowing that he won't have as many opportunities.  They could have set some sort of an example, and they didn't.  Lets just remember, he raped someone who was unconscious and unable to defend herself.  He's among the worst humans on this Earth.  I hope his 6 months consists of plenty penises inside him.

37 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

I just want to know why the British feel as if they have some kind of moral high ground over Americans. Americans are rightly outraged over the verdict and since they are the British feel the need to try and shame us for it.

Where has anyone turned this into that?  The first instance was someone suggesting rape may be considered legal in the UK!?

Feel free to show me where it has been posted otherwise, else this is more American's being defensive because anyone else dare criticise the news from their country.

Edit: Yes, Javik used the term "Yanks" - I don't believe that he is British, so you've wrongly made this a "Brits having a go at us" thing!

19 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Yes I am an ex law enforcement officer and you are trying to tell me that I do not know the meaning of Rape.

Yes, I am, as you stand by KingCracker's post: "Sorry by all accounts touching an unconscious woman in a sexual manner is rape in my opinion."

No, it is not, that is sexual assault.  There has been no sexual penetration implied just from "touching", and so it is NOT RAPE.

A number of times in different threads you have mentioned a history of law enforcement, and have been wrong on your interpretation of something that is clearly laid out without need for interpretation.  But yay for you, you're allegedly an ex-cop, you must be right...

19 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

You can call me all the names you please, I have heard them all.

There will be a reason for that, most likely...

• Like 2

On 6/6/2016 at 8:44 PM, TrueMonolith said:

The kid is going on a sex offender registry.

Forget "he got an alleviated sentence", the guy will be paying the rest of his life, given that he will be locked out of certain neighbourhoods, occupations, and potentially businesses.

From my understanding this is his first criminal offense (if I'm reading everything on this story correctly), which would convince me that he's probably not in the mindset to reoffend. Given the seriousness of the crime, I probably would have given him more than 6 months, but definitely not the max (I mean, come on, theres no need to make someone a career criminal if they aren't one). But lets not sugar coat the fact that he's far from "getting away with it". His life is more or less ruined.

I'm not minimising the rape, but realistically, you shouldn't have a criminal justice system who's aim is to increase the number of criminals.

He made himself a criminal by committing a heinous crime.

He's now making the argument that it wasn't his fault, it was the alcohol that made him do it.  Hmmmm ok time to pick his reasoning apart.

I've been punch dead drunk countless times.  I've been to parties punch dead drunk countless times.  I've never raped a woman while punch dead drunk.  I've never raped a woman.  It's not that hard to not rape a woman.

All the alcohol did was bring out who he really is, a criminal who deserves to go to jail for far longer than the half of the 6 months he's been sentenced to.

1 hour ago, Nik L said:

Where has anyone turned this into that?  The first instance was someone suggesting rape may be considered legal in the UK!?

Feel free to show me where it has been posted otherwise, else this is more American's being defensive because anyone else dare criticise the news from their country.

Edit: Yes, Javik used the term "Yanks" - I don't believe that he is British, so you've wrongly made this a "Brits having a go at us" thing!

I believe he is from the U.K

1 hour ago, Raze said:

And that response is unnecessary in regards to the topic.  It could easily be considered trolling.

The point is that rape has a legal definition, and whatever your opinion regarding it that definition is what matters not one's personal opinion. You can make arguments as to why the law should be different, but you cannot state the ruling wrong when it is in accordance with the law as it is written.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emn1ty said:

The point is that rape has a legal definition, and whatever your opinion regarding it that definition is what matters not one's personal opinion. You can make arguments as to why the law should be different, but you cannot state the ruling wrong when it is in accordance with the law as it is written.

So state that point to begin with, not some blip of a remark to provoke someone. 

And he made it clear that was his opinion and he can state any opinion he wants, whether or not you agree, is irrelevant.

Edited by Raze

13 hours ago, KingCracker said:

I guess in your head, if someone kills a dozen people  or even one for that matter, they should get off with a slap on the hand because they've only done it once. Sorry once is  enough.  You do something horrible like rape a woman and you should get what is coming to you and not some lenient sentence. 

Not just my head, the prosecution was asking for 6 years with the possibility of parole in 1 year. The police themselves aimed low, the judge went lower.

5 hours ago, Gary7 said:

FVI The Judge will be lucky to keep his position another week. The source below is The Wiki. You can call me all the names you please, I have heard them all.

If you're an ex law officer you should know better than anyone else that the definition of rape changes county to country, state to state. He was charged with 2nd degree Sexual assault btw, not Rape.

• Like 1

I'm not interested in Fact or Opinion, right or wrong here. Keep it clean and respectful or warnings will be handed out. Agree to Disagree and move on if need be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TechJunkie81 said:

He made himself a criminal by committing a heinous crime.

He's now making the argument that it wasn't his fault, it was the alcohol that made him do it.  Hmmmm ok time to pick his reasoning apart.

I've been punch dead drunk countless times.  I've been to parties punch dead drunk countless times.  I've never raped a woman while punch dead drunk.  I've never raped a woman.  It's not that hard to not rape a woman.

All the alcohol did was bring out who he really is, a criminal who deserves to go to jail for far longer than the half of the 6 months he's been sentenced to.

Exactly! There are so many bad examples set with this case. There are people in this country that have gotten longer sentences for possession of weed. Think about that for a second. 
This kid got off easy, and I dare say it was because he was very well to do and an athlete. 

13 hours ago, Gary7 said:

Mounting calls for rape judge to resign or be recalled

Thread should be called

"Rapist gets six months in jail for sexual assault of unconscious woman" or even "Rapist gets six months in jail for sexual assault"