Skyrim remaster, Prey 2, Wolfenstein 2, Evil Within 2 rumoured for E3

By Robert Purchese Published 07/06/2016

A PlayStation 4 and Xbox One remaster of The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim is rumoured to be announced at Bethesda's E3 conference this Sunday, 12th June. We'll be reporting from it live; check our E3 2016 guide for conference timings.

Eurogamer understands this rumour to be true, and we've also heard Bethesda will announce The Evil Within 2, Wolfenstein 2 and re-announce Prey 2 during the conference.

The Skyrim remaster rumours originate from reputable industry insider Shinobi602, as well as another apparent insider posting on NeoGAF as Enter the Dragon Punch.

Shinobi602 cautiously mentioned "a remaster of sorts ... for something" during an H.A.M. Radio podcast (via Gematsu). German website GamePro.de ran a story saying it was Skyrim, and Enter the Dragon Punch corroborated the assumption in a GAF thread by saying "it's real".

Monsieur Dragon Punch went on to add that the Skyrim remaster will contain "mods, all DLC [and] improved visuals". Mod support is the key inclusion there - it being the thing that makes Skyrim so enduringly popular on PC. Remember, console mod support is something Bethesda now has up and running in Fallout 4 on Xbox One, and will bring to PS4 later this month.

Continues...

I think we are a little bit late in this generation for a remaster. Was fine the first and an half year but now people are expecting new games.

Very disappointing generation of consoles so far.

• Like 2

I'm down for good sequels and new stuff but enough with the "HD remasters", and people complain that sequels milk franchises, all these HD redoes are more like bleeding the cow dry and killing it than just milking it IMO.   Enough already.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LaP said:

I think we are a little bit late in this generation for a remaster. Was fine the first and an half year but now people are expecting new games.

Very disappointing generation of consoles so far.

Final Fantasy XII would like to say hi!

Who would actually buy a skyrim remaster (on the pc) anyways with all the mods we have access to that makes the game look so much better?

The only way I can see that happening is if they offer new content as well but that seems unlikely.

1 hour ago, wakjak said:

Final Fantasy XII would like to say hi!

I think we can place Square in the "exception to the rule" box, they've been "HD remaking" and porting/re-releasing their FF games on everything and anything they can, compared to other developers, it's like, I think FF1-3 has been ported/re-released over 10 times already alone.

1 hour ago, trag3dy said:

Who would actually buy a skyrim remaster (on the pc) anyways with all the mods we have access to that makes the game look so much better?

The only way I can see that happening is if they offer new content as well but that seems unlikely.

They're not going to be targeting the PC with this. 

True; a Skyrim HD remaster would be squarely aimed at Xbox One and PlayStation 4 users. But, why would Bethesda, a PC-centric developer, only target the consoles? I mean, it makes sense. There's literally no point in offering a Skyrim remaster to PC users. None whatsoever.

Possibility 1: Bethesda canceled a few DLC projects in the pipeline to get another title out by a deadline (often thought to be The Elder Scrolls Online). It could be that they've completed those DLCs, and, rather than saying, "Hey, Skyrim DLC five years later!" they could have just added it into the game, and instead of a remaster it's a revisioning, or something like that. For PC owners of Skyrim, they could sell it at a discount. For console players, well, it's Skyrim on the new consoles, and it would come with the old DLC, too. And the HD texture pack, and maybe some selected mods.

Possibility 2: And this one's a long shot. Remaster Morrowind and Oblivion as well. Bring them up to Skyrim spec. The problem with this is, there's a team that's been working on this for a decade. First it was going to be called Morroblivion, now it's Skywind. Now, if we find out Bethesda has been working with them all along and all three games are coming out together and they all work/look like Skyrim, that would be huge and that would be worth paying full price for. But again it's a long shot.

Possibility 3: And this is more likely. I think they'll just re-release Skyrim for the current consoles with nothing added (but it would be the Legendary Edition).

Wolfie 2 (no surprise there, but still great!) :)

AND

Prey 2 (which was cancelled!  now this is even better, just because it is a wonderful surprise.  i loved Prey game) :D

13 hours ago, dragontology said:

True; a Skyrim HD remaster would be squarely aimed at Xbox One and PlayStation 4 users. But, why would Bethesda, a PC-centric developer, only target the consoles? I mean, it makes sense. There's literally no point in offering a Skyrim remaster to PC users. None whatsoever.

Bethesda has not been PC centric for a long while. I mean they rely on the community to fix their ugly console oriented UI. Skyrim default UI on PC is a joke and clearly aimed to console gamers.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, dragontology said:

This initial assumption is NOT true.

Bethesda is NOT a PC-centric developer anymore.  Morrowind was the last PC-centric Elder Scrolls release and since then they've been console-centric.  The games have been dumbed down err, made more approachable for the console users, the UIs are gamepad centric, the features of the base games held back by console capabilities.  The games have excelled on PC IN SPITE of this because of the mod support and the amazing work of modders, NOT Bethesda.

I agree there is little point in releasing a Remastered PC version though but it's basically free for them so why not.  There IS a strong reason to launch a PS4 and Xbox One version of Skyrim.  The next Elder Scrolls is supposedly years off and if that's true it likely won't hit until the PS5/Xbox 2 are out.  That means without a Skyrim Remaster Bethedsa has NO Elder Scrolls game on current gen consoles.  Also Fallout 4 uses the Skyrim engine so the work has already been done to upgrade the core game engine.  Bringing over the already created Skyrim assets to the already updated Fallout 4 engine (including console mod support) would be minimal work or their part.  Have it default to using what was their optional hi rez texture pack on PC (though it sucks compared to what modders have done) instead of the launch textures and put it at 1080p and it will be a substantial improvement for console gamers over the Xbox 360/PS3 release.  If they do go back and update some models/textures though or they integrate new features that were already added to the engine as part of the Fallout 4 development then why not rerelease the updated version on PC as well?  Sure it will pale in comparison to what you can do with mods but it would give a better clean install experience, take minimal effort, and there DO exist some people who don't use mods heavily anyway.

4 hours ago, Asmodai said:

That means without a Skyrim Remaster Bethedsa has NO Elder Scrolls game on current gen consoles. 

Elder Scroll Online? /sarcasm

[edit]

I wont lie i would actually like a Morrowind remaster on PC with achievements and Steam Workshop support. Despite its flaws (bad AI and scaling) it's still one of my favorite game ever.

15 minutes ago, LaP said:

Elder Scroll Online? /sarcasm

I standby my statement. ;-)

15 minutes ago, LaP said:

I wont lie i would actually like a Morrowind remaster on PC with achievements and Steam Workshop support. Despite its flaws (bad AI and scaling) it's still one of my favorite game ever.

Morrowind was by far my favorite as well and I've played them all since Arena.  I think that's generally the accepted opinion of the majority of PC gamers who've played them all as well.  After Morrowind the games have improved in graphics but been watered down for mass consumption.  Don't get me wrong though, I still enjoyed Oblivion and Skyrim but Morrowind was hands down my favorite, imperfections and all.

Main reason I wanted a Morrowind or Oblivion remaster was gamepad support, which was in the Xbox versions, but taken out for the PC ports (or whatever you want to call them; I know port in gaming, like dub in anime, can be a controversial term). Well, I got a Steam controller, which seems to present to the system as a mouse or something, and in any case is made to bridge that kb/m—gamepad divide. The right pad is basically a track pad, and if you drag from the middle out to the edge and hold at the edge, it's like perpetually mousing to that side. Tried Fallout 4 and it was just weird. Like, I invert Y with the gamepad, but can't do it on the Steam controller (or a mouse). Gotta set Y back to normal. So I guess I'll be giving Morrowind another shot, once I'm done with Fallout 4 (and all its DLC). I've gotten as far as that second town after Balmora, the one with Clavicus Vile's pet (I think he's a scamp in Morrowind, and he's a vendor), and one or two quests into the Fighter's Guild. Really, I didn't get far, just explored a bit. But having started with Oblivion and spoiled by it and Skyrim, Morrowind is a tough nut to crack.