Mechanical Keyboards.. Is it just a gimmick?

I'm looking at replacing my keyboard, mouse, and mouse pad.. 
Getting this mouse,
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B013LDTYI6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687462&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0054JGGGY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1KMV9P3SC3DFGXB41S38

This mouse pad, (I really like that it lights up.. and I think it'll be cool to have a full RGB setup on my desk, nerds unite)
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-Firefly-Gaming-Chroma-Lighting/dp/B00Y4S5KPY/ref=pd_bxgy_147_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=1JBY8JEAW2MG0NH7GPEW

However.. The keyboard.. I'm using a Logitech G15 right now.. It's been great.. Don't really use the LCD on it.. and just want to freshen up my setup.. I've been PC gaming for 20+ years.. I know a lot has changed since then.. But even now.. maybe there is something I am missing out on? I'm looking at the Razer DeathStalker Chroma keyboard.. but a lot of the reviews warn that it isn't "anti-ghosting".. That meaning that it doesn't like more than one key pressed at the same time.. I've never noticed this being a real issue.. I play mostly FPSs like BF4, Overwatch, Doom, ect.. 

So I ask my fellow Neowin Gaming friends.. is this a real issue or just marketing BS? 
Game On!!

This feature is referred to as N key rollover (wiki link). I didn't buy a mechanical keyboard for that specific feature, since it's really never affected me (and I also play FPS games). I bought it for key feel. I use a Logitech G710+ which uses Cherry MX Brown keys. It's a nice tradeoff between clicky/quiet. 

The Razer DeathStalker is not a mechanical keyboard. "Mechanical" refers specifically to keyboards that use independent mechanical switches for each key. It's not a gimmick. It significantly changes the feel of the keyboard. Whether or not mechanical keyboards are "better" is a question of preference. The best advice is to find a store with keyboards on display and try them yourself.

The Razer DeathStalker has 10-key rollover in "gaming mode." Unless you plan on pressing more than 10 keys at once (more than one key per finger) or think you'll get annoyed with having to keep toggling "gaming mode" on/off, the Razer DeathStalker should not cause any problems on that front.

• Like 1

Stuck using a crap membrane keyboard at work, the difference is huge comparing the crap HP vs my cheap Thermaltake mechanical with Blue keys 

Mechanical is better for typing and gaming 

I own a mechanical keyboard and it is nice. The typing feels more substantial, and there is definitely better feedback for each key press. However, I personally think the price is pretty steep for what it is.

My brother who has never used anything but rubber dome keyboards used my K70 for a few minutes and he described it as "smooth as butter". So take from that what you will, as someone who has never used a mechanical keyboard before.

I personally could never go back to rubber dome keyboards after getting used to mechanical. Worth every penny and more.

rIrfbyt.png

switch_chart.png

I'm on Reds.

Their actuation point is at the very bottom (no clicking midway, a strong feedback at the end).

I used standard keyboards most my entire life, about 1 1/2 years back got myself a Gamidas Mechanical Keyboard, Absolutley fantastic to use, key pressing, response time, durability is all there. Will never go back. even my work PC has a Tesero Mechanical keyboard, still will not trade for anything else. Productivity is smooth as. :)

12 minutes ago, fusi0n said:

Thank you everyone! Mechanical it is!!

I have Deathstalker.  Bought it less then a month ago.  LOVE it.    I tried mechanical, and I hate the high movement high profile buttons. I love the flat style keys of Deathstalker.  

taste differ, but make sure you try the keyboard live, before you buy.  I tried mechanical keyboard live, only to loose all interest.  flat keys is what makes me happy.

i loved old logitech wired oem keyboard with flat keys, but unfortunately it was not good for gaming, as it could not register more then 2-3 keys at a time i think. making for some awkward moments in gaming.

Deathstalker have none of this issues and you might as well get it, to match you chroma setup ;)

I have the G910 Logitech mech plank.  I feels better than a normal one after I got used to it.  (Previous kb & what I still use @ wk is a Logitech Wave (K350) - so I was used to keys being a little slanted, a little bigger.

I still have many typos on the mech, but I do like the way it feels in comparison to the Wave which I have liked for years.

So, I would say definitely not a gimmick.  Check to see which type of switch do you like (red,brown,etc)

The Corsair and Logitech ones are popular - but there are many brands to choose from.

2 hours ago, Mirumir said:

I'm on Red's.

Their actuation point is at the very bottom (no clicking midway, strong feedback at the end).

What kind of reds are they? D: You shouldn't be bottoming out Cherry MX Reds, they should be actuating with a very light touch! And what feedback on Reds, there is none is there?

I have never (as in ever) used a non-mechanical keyboard - even my wireless keyboard (Microsoft Wireless 6000 V.3) is mechanical.  The replacement - whether wireless or not - will also certainly be mechanical; both Microsoft AND Logitech STILL have wireless keyboards that use mechanical keys.

7 minutes ago, Chitale said:

i need silent keyboard so Mechanical are out. The khat khat khat sound is so annoying.

MX Browns are pretty quiet. 

11 minutes ago, Chitale said:

i need silent keyboard so Mechanical are out. The khat khat khat sound is so annoying.

They have silent versions of several of them, now.  Silent maybe be subjective...

Here are comparisons of sounds between a few: http://matias.ca/quietpro/pc/

http://www.geek.com/news/corsair-and-cherry-team-up-to-create-silent-mechanical-keyboard-switches-1630311/

I think the best keyboards overall are the low-profile models like the Apple keyboard or the famous Logitech illuminated keyboard but they're useless for gaming (no n-key rollover). On low-profile keyboards the keys are so light to press that it's always an instant press so the typing speed will depend entirely on you. Beware of the low-profile keyboards with longer key travel or standard/stronger springs though, those are terrible commercial garbage.

19 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

even my wireless keyboard (Microsoft Wireless 6000 V.3) is mechanical.

AFAIK Microsoft never made mechanical keyboards.

6 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

MX Browns are pretty quiet. 

My G710+ with MX browns and rubber o-rings is still noisy. Nothing stops the noise when a key is released.

I got a mechanical keyboard at home. I think it's a Thermaltake. Switches are Cherry MX Red, I forget which. I'm not an expert by any means. It's okay, but it's loud, and that's fine, but what isn't is just after a year, it started duplicating some keys and forgetting others. Like shift, you really have to hold it. I don't mean to damn mechanical keyboards, I obviously got an entry level model, but for what I paid, I expected to get more life out of it than this.

I use a "rubber dome" keyboard at work (stock Dell) and it's fine. The keys are soft and responsive, and they work how I expect. So I'll probably be getting a "normal" keyboard to replace the mechanical one. I figured, for what it weighed and cost, it would almost be a "buy it for life" kind of thing.

Here's my keyboard on Amazon, but it says the switches are blue, not red. That very well may be. Again, I'm not an expert.

Looking at other mechanical keyboards, it's hard to find them with a number pad, and without stupid color gimmicks. I don't like flashy keyboards at all. I want my keyboard black with white markings. I need the number pad for the symbols that aren't on a regular keyboard, like the em dash (—; Alt+0151).

32 minutes ago, francescob said:

I think the best keyboards overall are the low-profile models like the Apple keyboard or the famous Logitech illuminated keyboard but they're useless for gaming (no n-key rollover). On low-profile keyboards the keys are so light to press that it's always an instant press so the typing speed will depend entirely on you. Beware of the low-profile keyboards with longer key travel or standard/stronger springs though, those are terrible commercial garbage.

AFAIK Microsoft never made mechanical keyboards.

My G710+ with MX browns and rubber o-rings is still noisy. Nothing stops the noise when a key is released.

Not smashing it sure helps ;)

I'm using a G710+ as well. It's as quiet as you make it imo. 

I I have an Apple keyboard at home. Coding on it is an absolutely miserable experience. 

14 minutes ago, dragontology said:

I obviously got an entry level model, but for what I paid, I expected to get more life out of it than this.

Anything computer-related is a market of lemons now. Whatever you buy, no matter how high-end or expensive, is no longer guaranteed to last. I love how some tech products start with brilliant scores on Amazon/Newegg and then everything changes a couple of years later.

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Not smashing it sure helps ;)

I'm using a G710+ as well. 

The noise is only when I release the keys. I have to slow down and accompany the key with the finger if I want to avoid it. Just try pushing a key a few millimeters down and suddenly releasing it.

3 minutes ago, francescob said:

Anything computer-related is a market of lemons now. Whatever you buy, no matter how high-end or expensive, is no longer guaranteed to last. I love how some tech products start with brilliant scores on Amazon/Newegg and then everything changes a couple of years later.

The noise is only when I release the keys. I have to slow down and accompany the key with the finger if I want to avoid it. Just try pushing a key a few millimeters down and suddenly releasing it.

I find it no noisier than a membrane keyboard overall. 

7 hours ago, Alera said:

What kind of reds are they? D: You shouldn't be bottoming out Cherry MX Reds, they should be actuating with a very light touch! And what feedback on Reds, there is none is there?

You are correct, almost.

Cherry MX Reds require little force to press and they sport a very light stroke (motion). But because their actuation point is at the very bottom, you do get a strong feedback when a keycap hits the frame of the keyboard. 

They are light, but far from being quiet.

What sets all the mechanical switches apart is that no matter which ones you get, you know for certain if you've fully pressed a key or not, if you've reached the actuation point. The reds surpass it easily without clicking, hit the frame, and thus produce the sound and give you a strong feedback. The feedback comes solely from the impact with the board in my case.

Hello,

Do you have access to a computer store nearby that has mechanical keyboards out where you can try typing on them?  I have a few (Rosewill RK9000v2, Lenovo Y Gaming, Ducky ONE) and definitely find them much more comfortable and satisfying to type on than budget keyboards.  However, some of the membrane keyboards from Keytronics are very good, too.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky