Thinking about leaving Virgin Media 200mb broadband

Hello

I have been with Virgin media since the days of Eurobell in Crawley area. So I am a loyal customer! I did overlook problems which I had with them in these 20 years such as slow speeds, Crappy customer services including their technical support and so on. However I had enough with them now. I am on 200mb and I hardly receive 200mb the most I get is 100mb at times. I am seriously thinking about going to Sky or Zen for their 76mb service. I hope I get a stable connection from the change even though it will be slow compare to Virgin Media.

Whats your experience like with Sky and Zen. Comments and thoughts are welcomed.

2 minutes ago, mkol said:

Hello

I have been with Virgin media since the days of Eurobell in Crawley area. So I am a loyal customer! I did overlook problems which I had with them in these 20 years such as slow speeds, Crappy customer services including their technical support and so on. However I had enough with them now. I am on 200mb and I hardly receive 200mb the most I get is 100mb at times. I am seriously thinking about going to Sky or Zen for their 76mb service. I hope I get a stable connection from the change even though it will be slow compare to Virgin Media.

Whats your experience like with Sky and Zen. Comments and thoughts are welcomed.

I've been with Sky before. Good broadband service but they bombarded the hell out of me with requests to sign up for their TV service. 

I haven't heard of Zen before to be honest. I've been with Virgin and faced exactly the same issues that you did, it's what made me leave!

Have you checked if other services are available in your area? I know BT are doubling their speeds in early July.

8 minutes ago, mkol said:

^ who did you go with when you left Virgin Media?

I went with Sky, because at the time it had the fastest speeds vs lowest price. It's been a while though so things may have changed. 

I would suggest using sites like USwitch. 

Finally, make sure you call any other company in person, and say you've had a terrible experience with Virgin. They'll do anything they can to help you out. 

I moved from Virgin 100mb to Plusnet 36mb fiber and to be honest have not noticed a difference, Virgin were always slow peek hours and at least now I get 16mb up which is better than 3mb for backups and moving stuff to the cloud.

I'm on Virgin and get perfect speeds. Sometimes 205Mb, mostly 190Mb on wireless. Have you spoke to them about your slow speeds?

Call them many times, High utalization on the UBR thats the problem. So in other terms they are not upgrading their equipment as fast as they should do, but they sign people on. At the time of writing this I am getting 30mb speed.

44 minutes ago, mkol said:

I am seriously thinking about going to Sky or Zen for their 76mb service. I hope I get a stable connection from the change even though it will be slow compare to Virgin Media.

Any idea what speed your estimated to get with an FTTC connection? you can get a good idea here - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker

I've been with Virgin for around 16 years, since the NTL days. Until recently the only alternative has been 2-3 meg ADSL. I can't complain though as i've never had any issues.

Good luck either way! it would be nice to have an ISP in the UK that offers much greater upload speeds than Virgin / BT / Other FTTC providers do.

1 minute ago, mkol said:

Call them many times, High utalization on the UBR thats the problem. So in other terms they are not upgrading their equipment as fast as they should do, but they sign people on. At the time of writing this I am getting 30mb speed.

This is typical of so many telecom companies.  In fact it is their MO (Charter, AT&T, Comcast, etc)

Here in the states, some of the companies even have politicians in DC trying to slow down newer/better tech so they dont have to upgrade.
They sign people on like crazy but dont want to spend the money to beef up their infrastructure - 

Ticks me off

2 minutes ago, InsaneNutter said:

On that Link BT actually offers a gurantee of 68mb at least on my address.

Any idea what speed your estimated to get with an FTTC connection? you can get a good idea here - http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/speed-checker

I've been with Virgin for around 16 years, since the NTL days. Until recently the only alternative has been 2-3 meg ADSL. I can't complain though as i've never had any issues.

Good luck either way! it would be nice to have an ISP in the UK that offers much greater upload speeds than Virgin / BT / Other FTTC providers do.

On that Link BT actually offers a gurantee of 68mb at least on my address.

Sky are good, I would get VM in a heartbeat though if I could, They don't go to my area (Apartments) ... I think my area is nearly always the first to be upgraded so people generally say its fast here. The wireless on the hub was rubbish at one point but nothing using your own router wouldn't fix.

The only thing is that VM are more strict on DNS blocking of sites...Ordered by the Government. Sky somethings still work.

This is what pisses me off. In our UK market there is no law regarding companies and their newtork quality. These so called ISPs some of them like Virgin Media can get away with old equipment and so on. I wish there was A way to find out who has the better network and better quality.

^ thats the dream speed what they offer and their network should be damn good due to the fact they offer 1gb.