Networking Newbie - Routers, VPNs and Access Point - Help

Yes you would think that every building is grounded..   But if lightening hits near building A, and building B is some distance from building A and connected the difference in the ground potential can get pretty high.. This could cause issues.  Has lightening hit near these buildings?  It really would be like hitting the lottery for this to be an issue if you ask me ;)

But does not mean it can not come into play.  You really should check with your local laws and ordinances.  They do sell SPDs for ethernet, (surge protection device) that are rated for cat 6A and even POE when you want to connect building with copper.

rj45spd.jpg

The distances talking between a garage and house it pretty small.  You would really have to do the math to know what the ground voltage difference could be lightening hit near one of the building.

To be honest your more likely for it to come up in some form of home inspection when your selling it or adding on, etc.  Than any actual real issue due to a lightening strike..  But hey people do win the lottery - maybe lightening will hit in your back yard next storm...

Yeah the house and garage are both grounded, I'm assuming that there is a possibility of lightning striking the ground close-ish and coming back UP through the underground copper.

I live in a part of Australia that isnt really known for lots of lightning or storms BUT it does still happen and when it does I do actively unplug the computer/router/phone lines/etc

1 hour ago, TimL said:

Yeah the house and garage are both grounded, I'm assuming that there is a possibility of lightning striking the ground close-ish and coming back UP through the underground copper.

This is what I have seen in the past, with the low frequency of storms in your area I wouldn't sweat it. And the hardware at both ends isn't super expensive. If you were at all concerned you could just get 2x fiber transceivers to CAT5 and a pre-made fiber cable and use the existing CAT5 as a pull through the conduit if it is free moving.