'Three black teenagers' Google search sparks Twitter row

'Three black teenagers' Google search sparks Twitter row

What happens when you type: "Three black teenagers" into a Google image search?

Twitter user @ibekabir reposted a video showing someone doing just that, and thousands of social media users responded - because most of the resulting images were police mug shots.

By contrast, a Google image search for "Three white teenagers" throws up photos of happy, smiling groups of friends.

Source and more

As someone quoted in the article said, a computer can't be racist and I find it difficult to believe that Google intentionally set up their algorithm in such a way. It's a bit amusing how overboard people are going about it though.

maybe it's because of the fact when we report police stories we don't usually say white before white people when they do this, but when it's black they do? not really googles fault that is the terminology that news stations use generally, they are just pattern matching and using indexes to report back what other people say... or maybe there is a higher crime rate amount african teens in groups? *shrugs* all I'm saying is I HIGHLY doubt google caused this, it's either crime rate related or just how people report the news...

I don't get why in the past decade we've had this huge push towards everything is racist?

Look up "Three African American Teenagers" and you get completely different image sets (similar to "three white teenagers"). 

Since most of those images came from "stock photo" sites (like 123rf/shutterstock) ... one can assume that the sites didn't want to use the term "black"...but instead chose "African American" ... (see example below)

Capture.JPG

Thus the search results get saturated(?) with "black" crime images ... since news reports "black" crime ... not typically "African American" crime ... while on the other hand stock photo sites will list images as "white" or "African American"  .. not "white" or "black".  Anyway ... that is my theory.  No, Google isn't racist.  

10 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

Well since Bernie is now eliminated, the protest party needs something new to whine and riot about.

They still have trump to protest?!

• 2 weeks later...