looking for a backup software with certain characteristics

Question

Sorry in advance if some of the things written are not very clear: I am Italian, and I do not write very well in English.

I am looking for a backup software that has all the features I listed below.

I tried many backup software (Acronis True Image, SyncBack Pro, Bvckup 2, Duplicates, Uranium Backup, iperius backup, etc ...) but none of them fully satisfied me because he had not all the features required

-          Real Time backup – backup a file immediately (not on scheduled basis, although low granularity)

-          Versioning support – with smart versioning (not only last XX versions but few versions for older periods and many versions for recent periods) and number of versions selected by user

-          Deleted file maintain – deleted file from source must be preserved on destination with same rule used by versioning

-          Incremental backup – in versioning I want to keep only change from previous version to minimize space usage

-          Delta transfer – transfer to destination only changed bytes

-          Usable destination – destination must contain original file not a propretary database, destination must be immediately usable

-          Restore at a specified time - it must be possible to set a specified time and I can restore file version in use at that time (also afterwards deleted file)

-          Nice interface & easy to use

someone knows a software which has all that is required?

14 answers to this question

But Macrium Reflect don't have real time backup :(

No software with all items in my firdt post?

"Real Time backup – backup a file immediately (not on scheduled basis, although low granularity)"

Completely unrealistic and don't think any "backup" software is going to do such a thing since that is not really a backup.  What if your file gets infected/encrypted via ransom ware and you instantly "back it up"..

How does that even work when you also want

"Incremental backup – in versioning I want to keep only change from previous version to minimize space usage"

So you want real time backup where you create file A, and then that is a version, then when you create file B that would be another version?

Why don't you just use dropbox?  Sounds more like dropbox to me then backup software..

Completely unrealistic and don't think any "backup" software is going to do such a thing since that is not really a backup.  What if your file gets infected/encrypted via ransom ware and you instantly "back it up"..

if i have 30 version of this file (versioning is another feature that i nedd), only last version is encrypted/infected, so i can restore one of the 29 version not encrypted/infected

How does that even work when you also want

"Incremental backup – in versioning I want to keep only change from previous version to minimize space usage"

i dont' see any problem with this: file X is changed in source? i send changed byte in destination and software link this with previous version

Why don't you just use dropbox?  Sounds more like dropbox to me then backup software..

dropbox CONS:

- i don't want to send my file over the net

- slow

- limited space

i think that a software with many feature that i requested was AutoVer (i say "was" because in not developed anymore)

CloudSync software from Synology also have many of this feature (but not all :(

Why do you care if you send it to the cloud?  Its only sending the bit changes..

So use something like bit torrent sync, it just does local no cloud.  Does bit level changes, real time sync and has file versioning..

What your describing is not "BACKUP" software..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yogurth said:

Bvckup 2 will do most if not all of what You are asking for, including real-time backups, delta copying, versioning...etc.

https://www.bvckup2.com/

Bvckup2 versioning is not incremental (it copies all file again)
maybe this will change in Bvckup 3

1 hour ago, BudMan said:

What your describing is not "BACKUP" software..

why?

i think that any "non continuos backup" is not very usefull
if granularity of backup is 1 hour, and i was working on an important file in word, if i loose file, i loose 1 hour of work

How exactly are you going to loose this file in 1 hour?  Your disk is going to fail?  Use raid 1 then or 10.  What software are you using to create such file?  It does not autosave your file?

So you working on a file for writing, so its locked - and now you want real time copy at the bit level to some other location?  Without worry of corruption?

continuous "backup" is raid 1... Realtime sync the bits of a file as they change to some other location over the network..   That is not "backup"

And then you want revisionism of this file every time a bit is changed in it?  So while working on 1 file you could have 1000's of revisions??  

"Real Time backup – backup a file immediately (not on scheduled basis, although low granularity)"

It looks like the sync function not backup, most backup software does not have this function. 

Personally I use the free Easeus Todo Backup Free but there are hundreds of such programs. There are features for differential backup and incremental backup.

I used to use livedrive for this until they recently put their prices up for resellers.

I now use Bittorrent sync (https://getsync.com/individuals/) as recommended above, it does everything you need including versioning, just run a client on your machine and one somewhere else, maybe on a backup server in your house, at a friends house or a hosted server on-line (or any combination as you can sync to multiple places).

You can buy NAS devices that support BT sync now.  You can rent a dedicated server with 2TB of storage for £12 a month ( https://www.kimsufi.com/uk/servers.xml ) whilst its not built to be powerful or resilient its perfectly good for holding backup data.

You can recall your data on your phone or almost any platform using BT sync

On 11/6/2016 at 1:00 PM, Yogurth said:

https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/502/2958

it is now possible to set the app to archive existing backup copy of a file before backing it up. In other words, the app will move file's backup copy to the archive and then re-copy the original in full to create new backup copy.

Obviously, this is a form of file versioning. The reason it voids warranty is that it can chew through available disk space *like that* if the archive trimming is off or if the backup is run to ofter or if modified files are really large, etc. Plenty of opportunities for the mess. Hence the warning.

I would strongly recommend to NOT use this option unless you have to and you operate with small-ish files. Please wait for a proper versioning support in Bvckup 3 as per - https://bvckup2.com/support/forum/topic/158