Moving to Portland,Oregon

I can't wait, I've lived there for a short time a few years back but going to be moving there for good in about a week and a half. I've been blessed to have lived in so many states and seen so many things in the past three years but now I think its time me and my wife settle down. Our aim is to get into Nike or Intel. My wife knows someone that works at the world headquarters of Nike so hopefully she can get in there. I loved Portland when I lived there a short time a couple years back. Yeah its weird there and everyone wears glasses even if they don't need them lol but I like it. 

7 hours ago, COKid said:

Too cloudy for me, but good luck with the move.

Yeah I agree it does get cloudy, but my wife grew up there and she loves it there. I lived there for about 3 months and yeah its so cloudy that when the sun does come out it hurts your eyes lol. But they have other things going for it more so than where i'm living now. 

cant be more cloudy than it is here in Cleveland! We get like 90 days of sunshine a year! :p

ive never been to Portland, but would love to visit some day. Not so sure i could handle 24/7 of crunchy peanut butter hipsters though :p

20 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

cant be more cloudy than it is here in Cleveland! We get like 90 days of sunshine a year! :p

ive never been to Portland, but would love to visit some day. Not so sure i could handle 24/7 of crunchy peanut butter hipsters though :p

Just have to look past them. 

Be prepared for sky rocketing housing and rental prices from when you last lived here. Portland is one of the fastest climbing for both in the nation.

If you don't land jobs at Intel or Nike there are quite a few jobs around. May not be what you want but something to help pay the bills.

The other big thing is the amount of homeless on the streets. I won't get into the politics of it, but they are allowed to camp around town just about anywhere.

If you plan to buy a house inside Portland, be prepared for much higher property taxes. Many ballot measures have passed since you were last here so it has added $500-$1,000-$$$$$$ more to the yearly bill.

Don't get me wrong, Portland is a fine town, but as the Portlandia show used to say "where young people go to retire", that just isn't the case anymore.

Welcome back!

• Like 1

Will probably live in hillsboro or beaverton. If not there some where a little further away from portland like st helens.  But probably for right now we'll be renting in the beaverton area. 

8 hours ago, KingCracker said:

I can't wait, I've lived there for a short time a few years back but going to be moving there for good in about a week and a half. I've been blessed to have lived in so many states and seen so many things in the past three years but now I think its time me and my wife settle down. Our aim is to get into Nike or Intel. My wife knows someone that works at the world headquarters of Nike so hopefully she can get in there. I loved Portland when I lived there a short time a couple years back. Yeah its weird there and everyone wears glasses even if they don't need them lol but I like it. 

Cool.  I like the show Portlandia.  Too bad Nokia passed on them to set up shop.

6 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

Will probably live in hillsboro or beaverton. If not there some where a little further away from portland like st helens.  But probably for right now we'll be renting in the beaverton area. 

Excellent choice, just be prepared for the sticker shock.

We have a house about 10 minutes east of PDX.

1 minute ago, noneofyourbusiness said:

Excellent choice, just be prepared for the sticker shock.

We have a house about 10 minutes east of PDX.

Yeah me and my wife have been doing our research on it. With both of us working we should be able to make it, although the job market in portland isn't the best. it took me a while to find a job there last time but it only took my wife a week and a half. 

I miss Portland! I was born and raised in the Portland area, and spent 21 years there, sigh, I really miss it and would like to come back, but Florida is so much cheaper living!

Just now, jnelsoninjax said:

I miss Portland! I was born and raised in the Portland area, and spent 21 years there, sigh, I really miss it and would like to come back, but Florida is so much cheaper living!

Yeah we were going to move to Arizona because its so cheap there but my wife grew up in Portland and loved it there too so we figured what the heck we'll give it a try. if it doesn't work, might be moving to Arizona soon lol. 

2 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

Yeah we were going to move to Arizona because its so cheap there but my wife grew up in Portland and loved it there too so we figured what the heck we'll give it a try. if it doesn't work, might be moving to Arizona soon lol. 

:D Well I can't say that I blame her for wanting to be back home!

1 minute ago, jnelsoninjax said:

:D Well I can't say that I blame her for wanting to be back home!

Yeah Portland is a happening place tons of good food and things to do if you can look past the weather and hipsters Portland rocks.

On 13/06/2016 at 1:57 PM, Jason S. said:

90!?! What part are/were you living in!! :rofl:

Be careful, there are a crapload of Wesen there.