GPU upgrade advice needed

I'm currently running a pair of GTX 970s in SLI. I play a number of fairly taxing games and unfortunately a pair of 970s really doesn't cut it with 4K and find most of the time I'm running without AA and reduce texture quality (Elite Dangerous probably being my most played game). My question really is should I go straight for a 1080, would a 1070 possibly be enough or should I wait for some more concrete numbers on AMD's RX 480? From what I can see in terms of price/performance a pair of RX 480s would still be cheaper than a 1080.

AMD has been neglecting crossfire products from a driver perspective for a while so I would strongly discourage buying AMD.

H3wf2J2.jpg

Wqs13HE.jpg

just a small glimpse into the world of AMD crossfire.

Edited by FunkyMike

I'm curious why you'd choose texture quality setting to reduce? Generally, in most games, that setting has very little impact on performance.

In any case if cost isn't a problem then I'd go for a 1080.

10 minutes ago, trag3dy said:

I'm curious why you'd choose texture quality setting to reduce? Generally, in most games, that setting has very little impact on performance.

In any case if cost isn't a problem then I'd go for a 1080.

It does tip it over the edge of running smoothly at 60hz without having to lower resolution especially in Elite Dangerous, I'm too casual to be worried about 144hz. I like my big 40" 4K screen and 60hz is absolutely fine since I rarely play FPS or any very fast paced games. In that case I will just go for a 1080 then.

I think that given the track records of late, it's going to be unlikely that AMD can match the performance levels that Nvidia have laid out. The 1070 cards are extremely close to the 980ti benchmarks, so you're looking at ~25% performance increase over your current 970s. The 1080s would provide a ~34% performance increase.

The dilemma is do you want to shell out the ~£600 for a single 1080. Or ~£700 for 2 1070s in SLI? Or is the extra ~19% performance worth an extra £500, at ~£1200 for two 1080s in SLI?

Edited by Daedroth

Would a pair of 1070s be the way to go over a single 1080 perhaps? £700 is doable since I just cleared my master card off, and the £1200 for the smallish gain isn't worth it to me.

2 minutes ago, Broughton said:

Would a pair of 1070s be the way to go over a single 1080 perhaps? £700 is doable since I just cleared my master card off, and the £1200 for the smallish gain isn't worth it to me.

Well if you're willing to shell out on a single 1080, then for £100 more, two 1070s would provide a massive performance increase over a sinlge 1080.

Just now, Daedroth said:

Well if you're willing to shell out on a single 1080, then for £100 more, two 1070s would provide a massive performance increase.

Ok thanks for the info, for now then I think I'll purchase a single 1070, then purchase another one in a month or 2 when I've flogged my 970s on eBay.

6 minutes ago, Broughton said:

Rule of thumb is SLI is never going to be as ideal as a single card solution. You don't have as many driver issues and you don't have to worry if a game will support SLI or not.

But yes, two 1070's in sli will probably offer more performance than a single 1080 if the game you're trying to play supports sli.