Laptop question: despite heat issues

I know there are heat issues ALWAYS involved with designing a laptop. But with our great technology, could it be feasible with the right build to design a laptop with a desktop CPU with enhanced cooling functions? 

I know Intel offers CPU throttling for shutting down the CPU due to load needs. with the tech today, knowing the CPU builds much thinner, could we get away with making one? perhaps a miniature liquid cooling system even involved?

I know I can adjust a my CPU's functions with my tool Nvidia inspector. 

would it be possible? I have a cooler with 4 140MM fans running full speed.

Thanks,

Chrisj1968

A laptop really can't be that portable without a non-M grade mobile CPU. It will need mass cooling to consider it. Yes, you can tune it down, but someone new to computers wouldn't know how to do that.

Not sure what your question is.  There is already notebooks with desktop CPUs (like Origin has a i7-6700k)  

You have to realize ... it just isn't heat ... but also battery life.  I'm sure as they shrink down the die further ... you'll probably see more "desktop" CPUs in notebooks.

14 minutes ago, jjkusaf said:

Not sure what your question is.  There is already notebooks with desktop CPUs (like Origin has a i7-6700k)  

You have to realize ... it just isn't heat ... but also battery life.  I'm sure as they shrink down the die further ... you'll probably see more "desktop" CPUs in notebooks.

I always have mine plugged into the wall. might have to check origin out

Hello,

Transportable workstations are available from companies like Sterling, but they are a niche market.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 16/06/2016 at 2:03 AM, chrisj1968 said:

I always have mine plugged into the wall. might have to check origin out

If your's is always plugged into the wall why have a laptop?

You get less specs (as you yourself point out) and it costs more money for that spec just to fit it into a small case...

If space is your overall issues you can get some small micro atx cases and itx etc.. that a re very small but would still out perform a laptop for less money.

the thermal capabilities to really wisk away heat in a laptop is what is lacking. 

Could they do it sure, but how much weight and size do you want to add for superior cooling?  There is some sore of cost (not necessarily monetary) to having a desktop cpu in a laptop...that cost could be size, it could be weight, it could be power consumption.  Most people want a laptop to be extremely portable, light weight, and have a long lasting battery.

they might but at some sort of cost....I am pretty sure they even offer xeon processors, again at a cost.  I found a ibm p70 that weight 8lbs with a xeon

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2016 at 8:27 PM, chrisj1968 said:

I know there are heat issues ALWAYS involved with designing a laptop. But with our great technology, could it be feasible with the right build to design a laptop with a desktop CPU with enhanced cooling functions? 

I know Intel offers CPU throttling for shutting down the CPU due to load needs. with the tech today, knowing the CPU builds much thinner, could we get away with making one? perhaps a miniature liquid cooling system even involved?

I know I can adjust a my CPU's functions with my tool Nvidia inspector. 

would it be possible? I have a cooler with 4 140MM fans running full speed.

Thanks,

Chrisj1968

1. The Surface Pro 4 i7 tablet has really clever cooling and it is amazing to consider the power packed in such a tiny device.  It is an indicator that improved cooling is possible but the cost to design the cooling system for the Surface Pro 4 must have been huge, so models with this effort on the cooling system need to have very large sales volume to get ROI.

2. There are a lot of Skylake desktop CPU based laptops available from specialty manufacturers but these small re-packagers of Clevo motherboards don't have the resources to design an advanced cooling system and would have to resort to the age old solution of using more copper! Which is why these true Desktop Replacement laptops are  very heavy. Battery is also an issue. And then there is a value issue - moneywise they are not more expensive for a quality unit but the weight cost and the battery life strike a different balance than previous generations.

Roughly, the desktop Skylake in these laptops will benchmark about 20% faster than a mobile 6820HQ Skylake. For battery, getting 1 hour at load would be a miracle. Compare that to the Alienware 15 that can chug along at load for about 2 hours which is longer than any laptop in existence*. For about $2500 you get a laptop with insanely fantastic battery life that is almost as fast as these Desktop CPU Laptops. The Alienware weight is around 7 lbs versus 7lbs to 15 lbs for a Desktop CPU Laptop.

3. There is an ASUS model that can plug into an external liquid cooling unit when docked at home. The current Alienware models have an external GPU dock available so if they see ASUS getting any market success the next generation could add cooling acceleration along with the current graphics acceleration.

4. The actual answer to your question is that your idea is already out there. ASUS has liquid cooling, Skylake Top end Mobile CPU's are more powerful than most of the previous generation Desktop CPUs and there is no longer a hard drive speed penalty with laptops and most Skylake top end models can take 32 gig of RAM.

5. The technology that is really missing is a foldable/bendable LCD so that when you open your 15" laptop, the display can morph into a 27" LCD sheet hanging in the ergonomically correct position instead of the awkward eye-squinty things we have in 2016.

* Note: for people that think my statement about 2 hours being the best battery life achievement in a laptop is a bit odd, the issue is FULL CPU/GPU performance for the maximum time. In other words if you need to do real work like 3D modelling or video editing (or playing a modern game) on a battery, how much time to you have in 2016? The answer is 2 hours.