Anton Yelchin, Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car

Anton Yelchin, Star Trek's Chekov, killed by his own car

Anton Yelchin, the Russian-born actor who played Chekov in the new Star Trek films, has been killed by his own car at his home in Los Angeles, police say.

The vehicle struck him after rolling backwards down the drive at his Studio City home, pinning him against a brick postbox pillar and a security fence.

Police did not say why he was behind the car at the time.

Source and more.

Terrible news. I wonder what this will mean for Star Trek Beyond...

I hope for his sake it was quick. I couldn't imagine being completely stuck with no way out. RIP Wictor man.

Very sad.  His performance in Alpha Dog was wonderful, and at the end of the movie, heart-rending.  Rest in Peace.

R.I.P.

Spoiler

A Russian wouldn't experience a problem when pronouncing either Victor or Wictor. That part was completely made-up. And the same episode of the film in its Russian version was even worse. 

• Like 2

Vehicle was in neutral and engine was still running; police still investigating but say no suspicious circumstances

Police are still investigating the sudden death, but sources told TMZ that there were not thought to be any suspicious circumstances. 

'It appears he momentarily exited his car and it rolled backward, causing trauma that led to his death,' LAPD spokeswoman Jenny Houser told the Hollywood Reporter. 

He was a great Chekov. He'll be missed.

Always wanted him to play Spiderman, he seemed like he would've been perfect for the part. R.I.P.

2 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Source and more.

Terrible news. I wonder what this will mean for Star Trek Beyond...

It'll be re-cut and they'll probably add "For Anton" at the start or before the credits.

3 hours ago, Nick H. said:

I wonder what this will mean for Star Trek Beyond...

Nothing. Movie is 'in the can'. It comes out in a month.

Obviously they will dedicate the movie to him, and maybe cut back on press. If they do a 4th movie then they'll either have to recast or just write him out.

http://www.startrek.com/article/remembering-anton-yelchin-1989-2016

3 hours ago, Mirumir said:

R.I.P.

Hide contents

A Russian wouldn't experience a problem when pronouncing either Victor or Wictor. That part was completely made-up. And the same episode of the film in its Russian version was even worse. 

Are these things that we actually care about? Its also not a spoiler, why would you tag it as such? Regarding why this was done (by the original actor):

Roddenberry asked him to "ham up" his Russian accent to add a note of comic relief to the series. Chekov's accent has been criticized as inauthentic, in particular Koenig's substituting the "w" sound in place of a "v" sound (e.g., "wodka" for "vodka"); Koenig has said the accent was inspired by his father, who had the same difficulty with the "v" sound.

So it seems at least one Russian had the problem. Your statement is factually inaccurate.

Isn't there more Trek films planned? I wonder how they'll move forward with the Chekov character.

Very sad news although I haven't ever seen him in anything as I haven't ever liked any of the newer Star Trek movies.

Bet this one doesn't make it onto any of the Trutv videos where the people leave their car out of gear and it rolls away!

So sad, so young and full of potentional and such a great actor. Will be dearly missed. RIP Anton.

He was a good actor, I remember him in something else other than Star trek.....Ah ha! ... Charlie Bartlett ..thats' were I knew him from.

On a side note I think his car was a decepticon. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mirumir said:

R.I.P.

Hide contents

The v vs w thing irritated me too having taken a year of Russian in high school (but

way out of practice now from disuse.)

This stupid abuse is a holdover from the 1960's TV series and subsequent films where Chekov had the same 'v' issue. Most notably in The Voyage Home (the whale film) where he mispronounced nuclear vessels "nuclear wessels" when trying to get to Naval Air Station Alameda.

When the 2009 remake was written they included it as a nod to  TOS.

• Like 2

According to TMZ, he was driving a Jeep Grand Cherokee (doesn't say what year) and it impacted him with enough force to bend the metal gate.

Earlier this year ... Jeep recalled 2014/2015 Cherokee's (and other Fiat Chrysler vehicles) ....

Fiat Chrysler says it is recalling 1.1 million vehicles worldwide, including 811,586 midsize SUVs and full-size cars in the U.S., to try to alleviate confusion about when the vehicles' automatic transmission is in the "park" position, which has resulted in 41 injuries.

Drivers have been getting out of the vehicles without shifting into park while the engine is still running. The problem involves vehicles with electronic shift levers on their consoles that spring back to the same position after being shifted. Drivers can't tell by looking at the shifter's position whether it is in park. Instead, they have to depend on indicator lights, Fiat Chrysler says.

In the U.S., the recall involves certain 2012 to 2014 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300sedans and 2014 and 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee SUVs. The recall will include an estimated 52,144 vehicles in Canada, 16,805 in Mexico, and 248,667 elsewhere outside the U.S.

Source: USAToday

RIP to a brilliant young actor.

1 minute ago, jjkusaf said:

According to TMZ, he was driving a Jeep Cherokee (doesn't say what year) and it impacted him with enough force to bend the metal gate.

Earlier this year ... Jeep recalled 2015 Cherokee's (and other Fiat Chrysler vehicles) ....

RIP to a brilliant young actor.

I smell a big lawsuit by his family & estate.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

Isn't there more Trek films planned? I wonder how they'll move forward with the Chekov character.

New actor.