3 minutes ago, Bryan R. said:

Additionally:

http://www.fallen.io/ww2/

But I'm sure @Mirumir won't like the cold facts regarding Russia's losses.

Why did you post a link for a 18 minute video for $2.50? What would you think Mirumir wouldn't care about Russians lives lost in WWII?

On 20/6/2016 at 0:01 PM, oldtimefighter said:

I read the whole post and it was nonsensical...

There actually has been less war and more peace around the world in recent times. Someone is spending to much time watching 24/7 cable news channels.

Regardless, even in bad times you don't want to cancel the Olympics. The whole point of the games is to get people around the word together to hangout, compete and to learn something about each others cultures IN PEACE and bring that experience back home.

spot on

• Like 1

On Tuesday, June 21, 2016 at 1:18 AM, FloatingFatMan said:

He's just sour because his athletics team got banned for using drugs.

i looked up the drugs in question, and i notice some peoples asking information about the said drugs negative/harmful effects, but no answer.

20 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?

Please explain the causes of the European Refugee Crisis when two million people left their homes and fled to Europe in one of the biggest human migrations in human history.

You are right, I should just believe what you say and your lack of links to any research suggesting war and violence is on the rise in the world.  #facepalm To be clear, no one said there in NO war or violence in the world.

Wait, we went from war and violence to forced immigration? The European Refugee Crisis is real, serious, and sad BUT did you consider the high numbers aren't due to increased war and violence relative to past decades but the fact laws changed in Europe making it real easy to migrate there?

Regardless, even if war and violence was on the rise even more reason to have a peaceful Olympic event attended by people from around the world.

Thanks for playing.

3 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

Ok, How would boycotting/cancelling the Olympics help in stabilizing the world and bring peace? I did not get an answer from the article.

Jimmy Carter did it in 1980. There still is no peace.

10 hours ago, oldtimefighter said:

Why did you post a link for a 18 minute video for $2.50? What would you think Mirumir wouldn't care about Russians lives lost in WWII?

It does not cost anything... My comment about Russian losses requires context given in the video. You can ignore it if you want but my point was only that Stalin was ruthless to his own people and that's a hard pill for him to swallow.

If you want to skip to about 14:30 of the video it starts comparing deaths from conflicts post-WW2 and how it is relatively peaceful now, agreeing with your links that I originally quoted.

33 minutes ago, oldtimefighter said:

You don't read very good..

The video cost nothing... all you do is click on the video icon then click play..

The money is for supporting them if you want to support them.

11 minutes ago, TAZMINATOR said:

You don't read very good..

The video cost nothing... all you do is click on the video icon then click play..

The money is for supporting them if you want to support them.

Your troubleshooting skills are amazing BUT in fact I did press play and for what ever reason nothing happened for me. I saw some prices listed and at that point concluded it wasn't worth any more of my time to investigate further so I closed the tab but I am sure you are correct it was a suggested donation.

27 minutes ago, Bryan R. said:

It does not cost anything... My comment about Russian losses requires contest given in the video. You can ignore it if you want but my point was only that Stalin was ruthless to his own people and that's a hard pill for him to swallow.

If you want to skip to about 14:30 of the video it starts comparing deaths from conflicts post-WW2 and how it is relatively peaceful now, agreeing with your links that I originally quoted.

Fair enough...but the video didn't play for me.

1 minute ago, oldtimefighter said:

Fair enough...but the video didn't play for me.

Here it is on Vimeo

On 6/20/2016 at 2:32 PM, oldtimefighter said:

I guess... China's water AND air was pretty bad and everyone survived.

Actually China made major changes to air quality leading up the Olympics and afterward it went straight downhill again.

The Olympic games stand as a perfect example of how nations from all across the globe, some of whom hate each other, can come together in one place and interact peacefully, at least for a little while.  It sort of reminds me of the story of the German and US soldiers coming out of their trenches and celebrating Christmas together during a holiday ceasefire.  The way we interact during the Olympic games should stand as an example of how we should always interact with each other.

Edited by Gerowen

On 6/24/2016 at 8:02 AM, Gerowen said:

The Olympic games stand as a perfect example of how nations from all across the globe, some of whom hate each other, can come together in one place and interact peacefully, at least for a little while.  

Sounds very good. Except the leaders of the free, just, and peaceful world who are supposed to lead by example don't think that way.

The west boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow and not a single western leader came to Sochi in 2014.

45 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

not a single western leader came to Sochi in 2014

Given your country's attitude to the gay community, what did you expect?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mirumir said:

Sounds very good. Except the leaders of the free, just, and peaceful world who are supposed to lead by example don't think that way.

The west boycotted the 1980 Olympics in Moscow and not a single western leader came to Sochi in 2014.

Little thing called Afghanistan.  It was returned in kind during the '84 Olympics.  

18 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

^ this

On 6/24/2016 at 0:02 AM, Gerowen said:

The Olympic games stand as a perfect example of how nations from all across the globe, some of whom hate each other, can come together in one place and interact peacefully, at least for a little while.  It sort of reminds me of the story of the German and US soldiers coming out of their trenches and celebrating Christmas together during a holiday ceasefire.  The way we interact during the Olympic games should stand as an example of how we should always interact with each other.

Good post. Just one small correction. It was the German and British troops...in 1914.

1 hour ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Yet, no gay athlete experienced any problems or was jailed as far as I'm aware.

1 hour ago, jjkusaf said:

Little thing called Afghanistan.

How many countries have the U.S. bombed since the Soviets pulled out of Afghan?

TBH, the U.S. have depleted their capability to criticize Russia on foreign policy issues.

Just now, Mirumir said:

Yet, no gay athlete experienced any problems or was jailed as far as I'm aware.

Because the world was watching closely.  Also, irrelevant. They other countries leaders didn't show because of Russia's attitudes towards homosexuals, not because any might have been arrested.

Just now, Mirumir said:

How many countries have the U.S. bombed since the Soviets pulled out of Afghan?

TBH, the U.S. have depleted their capability to criticize Russia on foreign policy issues.

That was then, though. In 1980, at the time you mentioned, Russia was one doing it and so the US decided to boycott the 1980 games in protest.

5 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Because the world was watching closely.  Also, irrelevant. They other countries leaders didn't show because of Russia's attitudes towards homosexuals, not because any might have been arrested.

The gay community is doing alright in Russia. Thank you for your concerns. 

The only difference being from the West is that, in Russia, you can't legally register your gay marriage. Which is why many gay couples went abroad, did a ceremony, and no one arrested them on the way back.

They've been living happily ever after.

10 minutes ago, FloatingFatMan said:

That was then, though. In 1980, at the time you mentioned, Russia was one doing it and so the US decided to boycott the 1980 games in protest.

So neither Korea or Vietnam (among many other US interventions) didn't happen prior to 1980, did they? 

On 6/20/2016 at 1:51 PM, wakjak said:

Jeez talk about FUD. And just utter ######. Can we lock/move this one to the appropriate forum?

Maybe the Olympics should be moved to Venezuela , I hear the riots have quieted down and TP is now available. This is the proper forum.

11 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

So neither Korea or Vietnam (among many other US interventions) didn't happen prior to 1980, did they? 

Russia were quite free to protest similarly, if they had so chosen to do so.