Trying to install Ubuntu...HELP!

Hi. I've setup a mini home server for backups with the following configuration.

Giada MI-NAS25 motherboard with an Intel Atom Cedar Trail D2500 processor

4 GB DDR3 RAM

2 TB WD HDD

I created a bootable pen drive with Ubuntu Gnome LTS 16.04 and tried booting with it. I get the Language selection screen, and the Menu screen with Try Before Installing and Install Ubuntu (plus some more).

My problem is, whether I select Try or Install Now, nothing is displayed on screen after selecting those options - the display goes into power saving mode.

What am I doing wrong? :(

Dunno, what is the problem in your case, but why don't you try FreeNAS or NAS4Free ? if you're looking for Backup solution distro.

How did you copy the image in USB? by dd method or using 3rd party software, try dd method in Rufus

Edited by Xahid

I have encountered this issue in the past, and I'm trying to remember what it was...and I'm struggling! I think it may have been the USB pen drive. I'm sure I tried a different one and it worked.

51 minutes ago, Xahid said:

Dunno, what is the problem in your case, but why don't you try FreeNAS or NAS4Free ? if you're looking for Backup solution distro.

How did you copy the image in USB? by dd method or using 3rd party software, try dd method in Rufus

I found FreeNAS to be overkill for my need. I also want remote access to my files, so was planning on running OwnCloud on it. Main purpose for the server is easy remote access and sharing, not backup as such as I already backup everything online.

Yes, I used Rufus to create the bootable installation. But will ISO or DD mode make a difference in this? I used ISO mode, and it boots fine, since it shows me the language screen and Menu. But anyway, will re-create in DD mode, test and revert with results.

46 minutes ago, Daedroth said:

I have encountered this issue in the past, and I'm trying to remember what it was...and I'm struggling! I think it may have been the USB pen drive. I'm sure I tried a different one and it worked.

Ok, will try with another pen drive later tonight and revert. :)

ive had  this issue with linux  mint if i use Yumi to create the bootdisk, not sure why, but Lilo seems less troublesome.

15 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

I found FreeNAS to be overkill for my need. I also want remote access to my files, so was planning on running OwnCloud on it. Main purpose for the server is easy remote access and sharing, not backup as such as I already backup everything online.

Yes, I used Rufus to create the bootable installation. But will ISO or DD mode make a difference in this? I used ISO mode, and it boots fine, since it shows me the language screen and Menu. But anyway, will re-create in DD mode, test and revert with results.

Ok, will try with another pen drive later tonight and revert. :)

Yes, DD will make the difference, I learned after many failure with ISO mode, then I always use DD mode for Linux.

50 minutes ago, Xahid said:

Yes, DD will make the difference, I learned after many failure with ISO mode, then I always use DD mode for Linux.

I tried 2 pen drives created in DD mode, same problem. :(

1 hour ago, Daedroth said:

Tried with another pen drive, same problem. Becoming very frustrating!

2 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Tried with another pen drive, same problem. Becoming very frustrating!

Have you tried building usb installer via Lili ? heh automatically typed Lilo before heh i meant lili

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/

12 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

I tried 2 pen drives created in DD mode, same problem. :(

you should try another distro, just for the sake of testing?

Just now, Xahid said:

you should try another distro, just for the sake of testing?

yer, id suggest linux mint, recently started playing with it myself (its based on ubuntu) after a long spell away from Linux.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

that installed to usb via Lili (i didnt pick persistent drive option) then boot from it to install directly via F12 key.

33 minutes ago, Mando said:

yer, id suggest linux mint, recently started playing with it myself (its based on ubuntu) after a long spell away from Linux.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

that installed to usb via Lili (i didnt pick persistent drive option) then boot from it to install directly via F12 key.

Tried Mint as well. Same problem. I then retried Ubuntu Gnome with Lili. It now at least showed me something else. It said EHCI: BIOS handoff failed (BIOS bug?). After that, the blank screen and display power save mode.

19 minutes ago, Boo Berry said:

Is your motherboard BIOS-based or UEFI-based? In Rufus did you try changing the partition scheme/system type?

It's a BIOS board for sure. I chose the MBR scheme for BIOS or UEFI option in Rufus.

So I just tried installing Fedora 24 Workstation. Created the pen drive in DD mode, but I still get the same problem. I even tried the install parameters nomodeset and grub.gfxmode=1024x768x24, no luck!

There has to be some way out of this!!

12 minutes ago, Xahid said:

Can you try Windows 7 or 10, just to see if it works?

Yes, trying that. Although Windows will not serve my purpose....

1 hour ago, Xahid said:

Can you try Windows 7 or 10, just to see if it works?

Windows 7 is installing without issues, as I knew it would. It is Linux only which is somehow incompatible with this hardware! This is why Linux will NEVER become mainstream!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Is there any way to install Linux or am I stuck?

10 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Windows 7 is installing without issues, as I knew it would. It is Linux only which is somehow incompatible with this hardware! This is why Linux will NEVER become mainstream!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Is there any way to install Linux or am I stuck?

you should check the BIOS bootloader Setting, if its UEFI, change it to EHCI Mode. (something like that, UEFI might cause the issue)

There's no such options in the BIOS. This is not a recent model, so no UEFI support at all.

There is another way to install, but it will required you to have External CD/DVD Drive with USB port.  and boot throw it.

43 minutes ago, Xahid said:

There is another way to install, but it will required you to have External CD/DVD Drive with USB port.  and boot throw it.

Ok, but I'm curious, if the video output itself is not coming, how will an external DVD drive help? And it also shows the EHCI: BIOS handoff failed error in 2 Linux distros. Which seems to mean Linux has some issue with this motherboard itself. Add to the fact that Windows has installed and is runnign perfectly on the same hardware.

31 minutes ago, The Dark Knight said:

Ok, but I'm curious, if the video output itself is not coming, how will an external DVD drive help? And it also shows the EHCI: BIOS handoff failed error in 2 Linux distros. Which seems to mean Linux has some issue with this motherboard itself. Add to the fact that Windows has installed and is runnign perfectly on the same hardware.

Ohh yea, forgot about that, (out of ideas)

Ok. So I'm done with this hardware, initiating a refund with Amazon. Any idea whether a Gigabyte motherboard and AMD Sempron processor will have issues with Linux?

1 hour ago, The Dark Knight said:

Ok. So I'm done with this hardware, initiating a refund with Amazon. Any idea whether a Gigabyte motherboard and AMD Sempron processor will have issues with Linux?

Have that same hardware setup on one system here and have installed many versions of Linux on it without any issue. I haven't ever set it up as a server though, if that makes any difference?

Good luck :)