Quick poll on the UK's decision to leave the EU

Remain 48% Leave 52%  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the decision for the UK to leave the European Union?

• Yes
    • No

PGHammer and SIE have it correct. Increasing demand in an environment where supply is fixed or limited ALWAYS results in higher price.

Example:

I have 5 new NVidia GTX 1080 cards and SIE has 5 but only 3 people want to purchase that product  This is a buyers market. Since the number of available units greatly exceeds demand, SIE and I need to compete price wise to get the 3 buyers. We will likely need to reduce our selling price to match or beat the each other as we compete for the 3 potential sales.  If on the other hand there are 100 people wanting to buy these cards yet SIE and I still only have the same 10 video cards, we have created a sellers market. We essentially get to name our price at this point (and here's a hint, its not going to be cheap) if you want one of those cards.  

This is what SIE is trying to explain regarding housing in some/all of the UK.

31 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

However, there IS one thing I noticed as a big driver of those that admitted voting for REMAIN - all are subsidy recipients.  Whether you admit it or not, that DOES provide an influence on your position - I call it the legal equivalent of accepting a bribe.  (Yes; it may be legal; still, I have a rather low opinion of "vote-buying" - in any jurisdiction.)  If those in favor of a position can't advance a position on merit (and have to result to vote-buying (legal) or even bribery (illegal)) exactly how viable IS said position?

Except that's not true, London voted to remain and is not a net subsidy recipient at all. Nice try.

2 minutes ago, Depicus said:

Except that's not true, London voted to remain and is not a net subsidy recipient at all. Nice try.

A lot of people voted to remain out of fear of the unknown, that's why most of London voted to remain, money makers, economists etc. don't like uncertainty.

The North and Middle of England may have voted leave as they have been hardest hit by austerity over the past 5+ years. I know plenty of my work colleagues in local government voted leave (aged between 34 - 60)

34 minutes ago, SIE said:

A lot of people voted to remain out of fear of the unknown, that's why most of London voted to remain, money makers, economists etc. don't like uncertainty.

Except that isn't true either, you have no way of knowing why people voted, in London or elsewhere.

32 minutes ago, insomniac9 said:

The North and Middle of England may have voted leave as they have been hardest hit by austerity over the past 5+ years. I know plenty of my work colleagues in local government voted leave (aged between 34 - 60)

Austerity has nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with de-regulation by previous governments and our governments failure to save for a rainy day along with the unwillingness to raise taxes. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Depicus said:

Except that isn't true either, you have no way of knowing why people voted, in London or elsewhere.

Austerity has nothing to do with the EU and everything to do with de-regulation by previous governments and our governments failure to save for a rainy day along with the unwillingness to raise taxes. 

In your opinion mate, why do you think people voted to remain?

4 minutes ago, SIE said:

In your opinion mate, why do you think people voted to remain?

Same reason they vote for anything, they think that they will be better off. Sadly both sides were lied to on a massive scale by politicians and the press so it probably evened itself out. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Crisp said:

Scotland should just skip a referendum, just give them their independence and call it a day. Clearly the country wants to remain in the EU and it's just a dead leg to us anyway.

Not sure about that, Scotland accounts for about 40% of the UK land mass, about 5 million people and I don't know what the deal is with north sea oil but I would imaging Scotland will want it, also, we might not like this but Scotland could be better off outside of the UK and back in the EU, a lot of other countries of similar size to Scotland that are in the EU are doing really well and have a high standard of living, in the UK too much money is going down south and not enough up north, even north of England keep complaining about that and that's part of the problem with the UK, I'm English but I have to admit, why should the Scots trust us anymore, I don't even trust them down south anymore to do what's in our intrest.

• Like 2

I love the Petitions that are popping up in wake of The Remains wanting a rematch. :D 

Petition: A rematch for the battle of Hastings in 1066 as I am unhappy with the result.

Petition: Redraw the June 24th Euro Millions as I didn't get the result I want!

Some of the Countryball Memes are good too. :laugh:

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Paul1979 said:

Not sure about that, Scotland accounts for about 40% of the UK land mass, about 5 million people and I don't know what the deal is with north sea oil but I would imaging Scotland will want it, also, we might not like this but Scotland could be better off outside of the UK and back in the EU, a lot of other countries of similar size to Scotland that are in the EU are doing really well and have a high standard of living, in the UK too much money is going down south and not enough up north, even north of England keep complaining about that and that's part of the problem with the UK, I'm English but I have to admit, why should the Scots trust us anymore, I don't even trust them down south anymore to do what's in our intrest.

tbh mate, disregard what north sea oil is left, the UK govt got shafted by all the multinational oil companies in the 70s, the difference between the UK and Norway is....Norway were wise enough to create an oil fund of some of the revenue from their fields (a rainy day fund for when it runs out)...while the UK govt spanked all our revenue over the last 40 years.

Besides I personally feel the oil fields were discovered and tapped at the time we were still the UK so imo any revenue left should be split 50-50 between Scotland and the rest of the UK.

If we did split, we would also have to take on our share of the UK national debt, it is only fair.

this isnt really a very good example., but ealrier this year i spent a couple of weeks living in an apartment in Amsterdam, I was surprised how reasonably cheap it was for most normal things, for example im a smoker, 20 malboro reds in the center of tourist trap was 4 euros 50 cents......compared to almost £9.50 at home.........thats thanks to the UKs crazy taxation. If the cost of living for Scotland drops IF we get into the EU, then its worth it many times over for Scotland.

Edited by Mando

9 minutes ago, Mando said:

tbh mate, disregard what north sea oil is left, the UK govt got shafted by all the multinational oil companies in the 70s, the difference between the UK and Norway is....Norway were wise enough to create an oil fund of some of the revenue from their fields (a rainy day fund for when it runs out)...while the UK govt spanked all our revenue over the last 40 years.

If we did split, we would also have to take on our share of the UK national debt, it is only fair.

That's true, not sure how they would work out the debts if it's on equal terms or a lot more complicated than that, part of it might get tied into how much money was going to what regions around the UK and as you said, Norway did it the right way, still pretty much everything else I said stands.

13 minutes ago, Louisifer said:

I love the Petitions that are popping up in wake of The Remains wanting a rematch. :D 

Petition: A rematch for the battle of Hastings in 1066 as I am unhappy with the result.

Petition: Redraw the June 24th Euro Millions as I didn't get the result I want!

Some of the Countryball Memes are good too. :laugh:

Even though I think we should of stayed in the EU, it's unlikely we're going to have a rematch unless things progressively gets worse over the next two years, even then I don't think we'll get a revote, beside, I think the UK needed out so the ones that wanted out can see it isn't what they thought it would be, none of this glorious British Empire rubbish they've been shoving down our throats for years, now reality will kick in and we start to realise that nothing really changes much or we could be worse off, I've not heard of a single good argument over this debate on how we would be better off out of the EU, in any case, we'll see over the next 5 to 10 years, right Boris, you can have the PM chair, I don't think many would want it for the next 5 years.

28 minutes ago, Paul1979 said:

That's true, not sure how they would work out the debts if it's on equal terms or a lot more complicated than that, part of it might get tied into how much money was going to what regions around the UK and as you said, Norway did it the right way, still pretty much everything else I said stands.

deffo mate, soz i didnt make that clear, I agree with what your saying :) 

even aspects like the national power grid could be complex to split, a lot of the UKs electric is generated via Hydro-electric/wind/nuclear power in scotland (SSE) , perhaps on a utility level some kind of dual nationality status could be applied.

i dont personally know how they could split the national debt, perhaps do it the same as the referendum and work out a cost to each person in the uk then multiply it by the number of tax payers in the nation?  so x multiplied by 6million? :p or who knows :) I fix pcs for a living :) 

Edited by Mando

12 minutes ago, Tuskd said:

The petition is now at 3.2M and increasing by roughly about 10 signatures every second.

its also being investigated for fraudulent signatures.  3.2million signatures is decent, but not when you then take into account the other 61 million who have not signed it, when it hits 33 million signatures it could have been viable (to a point) BEFORE the result. 24 signatures signed it before the result....24! 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36634407

the petition is a waste of time, change the parameters on a referendum that has already passed......crazy thought.

Dont get me wrong i voted remain and feel strongly about it, but this petition is embarrassing, we all have to now deal with it. Even its creator is now saying it has been hijacked after the result.

No point crying over spilt milk as my dear old grandma used to say :) what is done is done, we need to move forward.

one thing positive, im so glad this has remained a civil debate between all here, kudos to us all :)

Edited by Mando

2 hours ago, Paul1979 said:

National debt share is worked out by population vs taxable dividends using maths that's way beyond me! This means that Scotland would actually need to pay a whole let less of the national debt than most people realise.  But it's still a large sum for Scotland to suddenly handle.

1 hour ago, Mando said:

Dont get me wrong i voted remain and feel strongly about it, but this petition is embarrassing, we all have to now deal with it. Even its creator is now saying it has been hijacked after the result.

Exactly this. I'm also a remain voter (had you noticed :p ) but changing the result of the election would be a total ###### up. It makes democracy worthless and removes any power the people of Britain had, and that's damn dangerous.

We need to carry out the peoples wishes and figure out how to sort this whole mess out.

39 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

Exactly this. I'm also a remain voter (had you noticed :p ) but changing the result of the election would be a total ###### up. It makes democracy worthless and removes any power the people of Britain had, and that's damn dangerous.

We need to carry out the peoples wishes and figure out how to sort this whole mess out.

Well I'm going  to disagree with you on this one, democracy means "rule of the people" and if the people want to change their mind then let them. If we have an election in October the Liberal Democrats will stand on a platform of taking us back into the EU as I suspect would the SNP and if Labour get their act together maybe they will as well so we could have a situation where parliament has a mandate to stop Brexit.

We are in strange times and I fear Boris wants a total exit as this is the only way to get that sovereignty and control on immigration he wants, or he goes for membership of the European Free Trade Association and then there is no change other than we lose our veto and rebate. Sadly I think the damage may already be done.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Depicus said:

Well I'm going  to disagree with you on this one, democracy means "rule of the people" and if the people want to change their mind then let them. If we have an election in October the Liberal Democrats will stand on a platform of taking us back into the EU as I suspect would the SNP and if Labour get their act together maybe they will as well so we could have a situation where parliament has a mandate to stop Brexit.

We are in strange times and I fear Boris wants a total exit as this is the only way to get that sovereignty and control on immigration he wants, or he goes for membership of the European Free Trade Association and then there is no change other than we lose our veto and rebate. Sadly I think the damage may already be done.

Yeah it's an odd one. On one hand i stand by what i said, and on the other i agree with you. This whole thing is one big ugly ######.

• Like 2

The EU was a fail out of the gate.. There have been nothing but problems created for most countries because of it. If they all came in on an even keel, then it might be different, but it turned into a wealth distribution ponzi scheme instead and has done nothing more than destabilize the wealthier nations. Look at all the strife throughout the EU now. It's not exactly the place one would want to vacation at these days..

27 minutes ago, JoseyWales said:

The EU was a fail out of the gate.. There have been nothing but problems created for most countries because of it. If they all came in on an even keel, then it might be different, but it turned into a wealth distribution ponzi scheme instead and has done nothing more than destabilize the wealthier nations. Look at all the strife throughout the EU now. It's not exactly the place one would want to vacation at these days..

That's a bit like saying don't go to the USA because of Donald Trump.....

I'd be interested to know why you think the EU was a "fail out of the gate" because as I see it those countries in trouble like Greece, Spain or Portugal have only themselves to blame. They happily borrowed and spent while the good times rolled as they thought the economic boom would never end (what do they say about people who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it) and rung up massive debts which they simply could not service. Hardly the fault of the EU or the Euro.

4 hours ago, Mando said:

deffo mate, soz i didnt make that clear, I agree with what your saying :) 

even aspects like the national power grid could be complex to split, a lot of the UKs electric is generated via Hydro-electric/wind/nuclear power in scotland (SSE) , perhaps on a utility level some kind of dual nationality status could be applied.

i dont personally know how they could split the national debt, perhaps do it the same as the referendum and work out a cost to each person in the uk then multiply it by the number of tax payers in the nation?  so x multiplied by 6million? :p or who knows :) I fix pcs for a living :) 

All I can say is what a mess we've got ourselves in.

22 minutes ago, Depicus said:

That's a bit like saying don't go to the USA because of Donald Trump.....

I'd be interested to know why you think the EU was a "fail out of the gate" because as I see it those countries in trouble like Greece, Spain or Portugal have only themselves to blame. They happily borrowed and spent while the good times rolled as they thought the economic boom would never end (what do they say about people who don't learn from history are destined to repeat it) and rung up massive debts which they simply could not service. Hardly the fault of the EU or the Euro.

Depicus - all of those countries that are in debt up past their eyeballs got into the EU despite that; in every case, the amount of debt they were in was known (at least to the bureaucrats) before they got let in - now the entirety of the EU got stuck with it.  Greece in particular is a *serial offender* at failing to learn from history (especially in terms of debt - only Argentina is worse).  Secondly, border security (especially at the EU border) IS a problem that can't be ignored - yet the EU bureaucracy is insisting on doing exactly that.