Quick poll on the UK's decision to leave the EU

Remain 48% Leave 52%  

253 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the decision for the UK to leave the European Union?

• Yes
    • No

3 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Just saw this on Twitter

Think that's the kicker...people in the 20s and 30s will be the ones that live through this the majority of their lives.

This is what people should consider when voting. I know it's weird to think like that, specially if you are the elder one voting but the truth is you need to vote for your descendents (hell even if you are 20 yr old you should think like that, this is not a temporary change, its a hell of a big deal).

Selfishness defines this sh*t.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

So... since the Brexit was announced...

The pound has plummeted to a 30 year low
Japanese stock market has crashed 8% and suspended trading
Already a push for another Scottish independence
Calls for an Irish reunification referendum
Far-right nationalists across Europe now calling for referendums and the demise of the EU
Hundreds of UK pension funds underwater
FTSE is expected to open 10% down (the bankers knocked 8% off in the 2007 financial crash, so this is big)
German DAX market expected to open 10% down
HSBC is worth £10bn less since yesterday
S&P has announced that UK now likely to lose its AAA credit rating
In two hours (as of 7am) the UK economy has lost over £255bn, the equivalent of 40 years' worth of EU contributions
The British Prime Minister has resigned 

JP Morgan announced UK exit for all business 

And all of this was pretty much known to be the likely short term impact. Your point?  

We get it, your side lost and you're upset but these things are not some secret financial outcomes. They were anticipated (for months) if there was a Leave vote.  All you can do now is work with your government now in Scotland,  get your referendum to leave the UK passed and see how that works out for you - maybe it will, maybe it wont.

Like the upcoming US election both of us are being presented a lose-lose vote. You do what you can, vote your choice and roll with it. Its not like you can change the outcome after the fact.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MikeChipshop said:

So... since the Brexit was announced...

The BoJ actually LED the ECB underwater (they went negative before the EuroBund) - hence my comment about that knife in the back.  (You simply don't screw over savers that way.)

Nobody wants their OWN currency strong vs. the dollar; hence the rush of depreciation (which is, in fact, one causative factor in the EuroBund rate drop).  Europe is finding out the HARD way that you can't submarine your debt with impunity - why do you think that Janet Yellen has been so resistive of the idea?

Just now, Zag L. said:

And all of this was pretty much known to be the likely short term impact. Your point?  

We get it, your side lost and you're upset but these things are not some secret financial outcomes. They were anticipated (for months) if there was a Leave vote.  All you can do now is work with your government now in Scotland,  get your referendum to leave the UK passed and see how that works out for you - maybe it will, maybe it wont.

Like the upcoming US election both of us are being presented a lose-lose vote. You do what you can, vote your choice and roll with it. Its not like you can change the outcome after the fact.

I believe his point is noting how instantly the exit decision has screwed us!

5 minutes ago, guitmz said:

This is what people should consider when voting. I know it's weird to think like that, specially if you are the elder one voting but the truth is you need to vote for your descendents (hell even if you are 20 yr old you should think like that, this is not a temporary change, its a hell of a big deal).

Selfishness defines this sh*t.

Maybe they did think of their decedents and that's why they voted that way.

9 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I'll PM you when DXY hits a new low.

There's an opinion that the upward ride from 2011 was fueled by the depreciating dollar. So when the dollar surged today, the U.S. stock market experienced a currency evaluation correction. In other words, since the currency has strengthened, the assets which are priced in it, depreciated. Which is the reason why the price of commodities fell too today.

ok...might be awhile.  LOL

Or you know ... because investors get spooked ... and may not understand the full ramifications yet.

3 minutes ago, ctebah said:

I'm glad they voted this way.  National independence is a smart move.

as long the 'independence' aren't immediately followed by armed conflicts, they would fare well.

There a lots of countries that separates from larger 'group' that thrives after the fact.

Or maybe they are looking at taking advantage of those short-term profits - note that it's also pushed the EuBund sub-zero interest rates off the front page.  (I'm going to be following Bloomberg over the weekend - watching THAT sink in.)

1 minute ago, Nik L said:

I believe his point is noting how instantly the exit decision has screwed us!

True Nik but it did exactly as was expected.   Yes, it happened instantly but if you had asked someone in the financial sector last week (or the week before) what will happen on a Leave vote, they would not only explained exactly what you are seeing now but to within a percent of the numbers.  Here in the US, we've been told for almost two weeks exactly what to expect in the financial markets the moment the vote is announced. There should be no surprise in the timing. The speed of the impact was anticipated.

• Like 3

Top EU Leader: We want Britain out as soon as possible. 

European Parliament president Martin Shulz says lawyers are studying possibility of speeding up Brexit

Ooooo

I woke up to the terrible news this morning and haven't quite recovered yet. Only last year did I sign a mortgage and now I'm no longer welcome.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zag L. said:

Yes, it happened instantly but if you had asked someone in the financial sector last week (or the week before) what will happen on a Leave vote, they would not only explained exactly what you are seeing now but to within a percent of the numbers.

I know, it was very predictable.  And all the leavers still suggested it was hyperbole.  Nobody is surprised.

Just now, Jub Fequois said:

I woke up to the terrible news this morning and haven't quite recovered yet. Only last year did I sign a mortgage and now I'm no longer welcome.

why are you no longer welcome?

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Maybe they did think of their decedents and that's why they voted that way.

Maybe but who is wrong in this situation? I mean most of the young people wanted to Remain in UE. What are they arguments vs elder people arguments? It's hard to say who is correct (I don't even live there) but I wonder if they talked at home about this I mean kids and their parents/family. If they did, the voting results would be tighter.

as a UK citizen i think the decision to leave is a foolhardy one. 

as a Scot im kind of glad England have voted to leave, it now means due to previous promise by Cameron that if Scotland voted to leave the UK we would lose EU membership, ffwd 24months later and look the opposite has transpired. 

This will then open the debate of another independence referendum for Scotland. every single constituency in Scotland voted to remain in the EU. There is allready announcements that Sinn Fein wish an indy ref for N ireland to seperate from Britain (& join eire in the EU), if that happened and Scotland left, it would leave England and Wales as a minor nation.

we are no longer "Great Britain" or "united Kingdom" we should now just be called Britain.

Im sure our fishing industry & farming are reeling about th eloss os massive subsidies form the EU.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mando said:

as a UK citizen i think the decision to leave is a foolhardy one. 

as a Scot im kind of glad England have voted to leave, it now means due to previous promise by Cameron that if Scotland voted to leave the UK we would lose EU membership, ffwd 24months later and look the opposite has transpired. 

This will then open the debate of another independence referendum for Scotland. every single constituency in Scotland voted to remain in the EU.

we are no longer "Great Britain" or "united Kingdom" we should now just be called Britain.

Exactly that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mirumir said:

I'll PM you when DXY hits a new low.

There's an opinion that the upward ride from 2011 was fueled by the depreciating dollar. So when the dollar surged today, the U.S. stock market experienced a currency evaluation correction. In other words, since the currency has strengthened, the assets which are priced in it, depreciated. Which is the reason why the price of commodities fell too today.

In other words, the dollar US actually strengthened (not weakened), and especially against the Euro - that's what happened when you shoot your own debt in the back.  (Ten-year EUBund has a negative coupon rate - following the BoJ; the latter went into trade suspension.)  You have basically made sure that the dollar CANNOT weaken as long as those negative coupon rates are around - thank you, Brussels.

what really struck home to me this morning after the final result came in. 

even with the entire nation (Scotland) 100% voting to remain, our votes meant less than the city of London ffs. 

That is a red rag to a bull since the indy ref result, and another example of Camerons lies from 2 yr ago.

Westminster can pucker up and kiss my hairy scots ***e we are almost 100% SNP voters these days for a reason.  you can thank westminster for that or the last 30+ years.

Good luck England and Wales enjoy higher taxation, higher import duties and reduction in export revenues, not to mention the sudden loss of billions more donations FROM the EU the UK received than donated TO the EU.

Anything Trump thinks is a good idea.........thats enough for me to think the oppiste tyvm.

2 minutes ago, Mando said:

what really struck home to me this morning after the final result came in. 

even with the entire nation (Scotland) 100% voting to remain, our votes meant less than the city of London ffs. 

That is a red rag to a bull since the indy ref result, and another example of Camerons lies from 2 yr ago.

Westminster can pucker up and kiss my hairy scots ***e we are almost 100% SNP voters these days for a reason.

When are you guys just gonna leave it and be your own country without having to depend on london and england. 

3 hours ago, ZakO said:

Yep, I didn't have a strong opinion either way, the UK is my home country but I haven't lived there for quite some time. It does seem unfortunate however that according to the statistics a significant portion of leave votes came from older or uneducated/unqualified people who will probably be affected the least. 

Dg8lcYX.png

"The Trump Effect"

25 minutes ago, Jason S. said:

why are you no longer welcome?

OK, let me rephrase. I no longer feel welcome.

During discussions with many people I've encountered in day to day life, from contractors to colleagues, and nearly every time there's only one issue they can talk about: they don't want EU immigrants in the UK. I'm from Sweden, and as such an EU immigrant. Oh, except "I'm not one of those immigrants."

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

When are you guys just gonna leave it and be your own country without having to depend on london and england. 

in the next 2 years due to Article 50 of the last indy ref. (hopefully!)

the clause is "IF the UK pulls out of the EU and Scotland show they wish to remain in, another indy ref is permitted before the UK leave the EU."

maybe just maybe this time around half the country wont listen to Camerons ###### about being worse off....err no ill take EUs cost of living thanks bye...

• Like 2