France trolls the UK over Brexit result: 'Don't trust a nation that can't behead its Queen'

France trolls the UK over Brexit result: 'Don't trust a nation that can't behead its Queen'

'The English already want to change their minds over Brexit. Perhaps they’re on an island for a reason.'

liberation_5_cropped.png

Cover of French newspaper Liberation showing Boris Johnson hanging from a zipwire

Long-standing rivalry between France and the UK seems to have been fuelled by the result of Britain's EU referendum.

As ministers in France push for Britain’s swift exit from the EU after the Brexit vote, ordinary French people have taken to social media to say “good riddance” to the English.

“When I see the s**t the English have landed themselves in by voting out… I’m laughing,” wrote Sebastien Coicaud on Twitter.

And journalist Christopher Nunès wrote: “I’ve always had a low opinion of the English. A nation that can’t behead its Queen is not to be trusted!”

French foreign minister Jean-Marc Ayrault called for talks on Brexit to take place immediately, echoing demands from other EU leaders to negotiate Britain’s exit from the bloc as soon as possible.

“There is a certain urgency […] so that we don't have a period of uncertainty, with financial consequences, political consequences,“ Mr Ayrault told reporters.

The front cover of left-leaning French newspaper Libération on Saturday carried a picture of Boris Johnson hanging from a zipwire during the 2012 London Olympics with the headline “good luck”.

Jean Quatremer, Libération’s Europe correspondent, in a column thanked his English and Welsh friends “from the bottom of my heart” for their decision to leave the EU.

“Thank you for your sacrifice!” he wrote, calling the result “a vote of incredible courage, which has politically devastated and will economically weaken your country – the rest of Europe can only be thankful.”

He blamed Britain’s "special status" for preventing the European Union’s reform and thanked the country for having “taken the risk to divide your society, for a long time to come”.

Some took a less tactful approach, using the hashtag #BonDebarras, meaning “good riddance,” on Twitter.

Source and more

It's not that we cant behead The Queen, she's old and I doubt she could outrun anyone. :shiftyninja: 

We'd be stuck with Charles and even The Queen doesn't want that. D:

• Like 3

Yeah and when the UK is doing as well as Sweden we can all laugh at the French and wag our arses at them! lol  All I have to say to the UK is GREAT JOB!!!  and... learn from your past... to step into a brighter future, you have a chance at freedom, don't blow it!

Well as the UK was reported as the 4th largest contributer to the EU prior to our Brexit vote good luck to the French paying off the debts all all those countrys going bankrupt under the Euro umberella.

Brexit was a choice between bad and worse. My opinion and only my opinion, we chose worse.

As far as beheading our noble, it was the French who did wasn't it?

• Like 1

Yes but old King Henry VIII sure had a damn good try 2 out of 6 beheaded

“Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived,” as the old rhyme goes

Brexit gloom & doom are overstated,

look at post WW-1 Germany, they have it worse than what Brits currently is, and yet they managed to rise up very well during Hitler's first half peaceful reign... (too bad they go to war on later half)

So why can't brits? too lazy? too entitled? too stupid? too ...?

Laugh all you like, little froggies. Next time Germany invades you, we'll remember your laughter, and let them have you! ;)  (joke BTW, for the humour impaired, or French people. :p )

14 hours ago, Torolol said:

Brexit gloom & doom are overstated,

look at post WW-1 Germany, they have it worse than what Brits currently is, and yet they managed to rise up very well during Hitler's first half peaceful reign... (too bad they go to war on later half)

So why can't brits? too lazy? too entitled? too stupid? too ...?

i hope this is sarcasm

• Like 1