Trump's Scottish neighbors taunt him by flying MEXICAN flags as he inspects his golf course

A half-dozen of Donald Trump's Scottish neighbors taunted him on Saturday by flying Mexican flags for his visit, but the famed real estate developer chalked it up to sour grapes.

The flags flapped in the Aberdeenshire wind before Trump landed on the 10th fairway of his International Golf Links, and photographers snapped pictures of flag after flag, including one hung beneath Scotland's own colors, seemingly mocking the billionaire.

Trump has made a rhetorical enemy of America's southern neighbor, blaming its government for sending 'rapists' and 'murderers' into the U.S. along with a wave of illicit drugs and illegal immigrants.

But on Saturday he said the silent protests had to do with his success in zoning the property to build a golf course that obstructs their view of the North Sea. 

35A6055C00000578-0-YO_HO_HO_AND_A_BOTTLE

35A8E50C00000578-0-image-a-5_14668754950

[...]

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3659970/Trump-s-Scottish-neighbors-taunt-flying-MEXICAN-flags-inspects-golf-course-says-s-sour-grapes-people-wanted-land-left-alone.html

Another liberal ###### off that their free ###### is about to come to an end.

Edit:

If Mexico is so great, why are the Mexicans fleeing here in droves? If Mexico is so great, why don't these idiots move their?

Spoiler

Mexico is not great.

This is not even about Mexico.  When Trump bought that golf club, he upset a lot of local Scottish residents as it has been locally run for decades and decades.  He immediately did a LOT of construction there.  This is about locals getting upset and showing it to Trump.  I don't care either way, just a little context.

Wow a guy from Scotland waving a Mexican flag. Congrats on being ignorant about the whole situation. From the American farmers that have to put up with illegals coming over and disrupting their land and operations to illegal Mexicans killing and and dealing drugs. Hell a few years back an illegal Mexican woman did a hit and run on a friend of mine. She didn't have an insurance and got away before they could track her down. The U.S is fine with immigrants just not illegal ones. The U.S is a Nation of laws, follow the law if you want to come to the States to live. There are 2 legal Latino workers where I work and its a slap in the face to them that they come here illegally when they did it the right way, spending money and playing the waiting game to get in. So to those dirt bags flying the Mexican flag in Scotland, you might want to wise up and learn a little bit about the situation before you wave those flags. 

1 minute ago, Nik L said:

This is not even about Mexico.  When Trump bought that golf club, he upset a lot of local Scottish residents as it has been locally run for decades and decades.  He immediately did a LOT of construction there.  This is about locals getting upset and showing it to Trump.  I don't care either way, just a little context.

Then don't be an idiot and wave the Mexican flag, take it up with him directly instead of waving Mexican flags. 

2 minutes ago, Nik L said:

Would be funny for "him" to make the US wall... :laugh:

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

Then don't be an idiot and wave the Mexican flag, take it up with him directly instead of waving Mexican flags. 

They have done for the last few years.  And he has constantly ignored them.  I'm not defending them, I think that whatever the situation between USA and Mexico, it trivialises it by waving the flag and just being a ######, but it annoyed the person they wanted to annoy.  Job done, except it doesn't matter as he will have ignored it.

Occasionally, an item or other object functions more as a symbol than a reference to its origin. In this case, the Mexican flag being used as a symbol of something opposing Trump. It didn't need to be a Mexican flag, it doesn't try to bring Mexico into the immediate argument, but it is something to do rather than standing about. There are many examples of such objects being used symbolically completely out of place with a real world entity. Hell, even PEOPLE can serve in this role entirely outside of their control. This even happens with sports.

So this isn't an argument that Mexico is super (it clearly isn't). It is taking a manifestation of something Trump opposes that is flashy and gets attention. If they had something else obvious at hand (say, a can of orange paint with a dead squirrel stapled to it), they could have used that. Flags tend to be easier to handle than most symbols.

• Like 3

'Most of the people – you go to Aberdeen – in fact one of the documentaries they're doing, they're trying to find people that dislike Donald Trump in Aberdeen. They couldn't find any,' he claimed.

'And they couldn't believe it. They actually told me, it was a legitimate guy, he actually said, "The biggest problem we have, is we can't find anybody that doesn't like you!" 

'What I've done for them, what I've done for Aberdeen, is great,' he boasted.

Reminds me of him saying everyone loves Trump University.

21 minutes ago, KingCracker said:

Wow a guy from Scotland waving a Mexican flag. Congrats on being ignorant about the whole situation. From the American farmers that have to put up with illegals coming over and disrupting their land and operations to illegal Mexicans killing and and dealing drugs. Hell a few years back an illegal Mexican woman did a hit and run on a friend of mine. She didn't have an insurance and got away before they could track her down. The U.S is fine with immigrants just not illegal ones. The U.S is a Nation of laws, follow the law if you want to come to the States to live. There are 2 legal Latino workers where I work and its a slap in the face to them that they come here illegally when they did it the right way, spending money and playing the waiting game to get in. So to those dirt bags flying the Mexican flag in Scotland, you might want to wise up and learn a little bit about the situation before you wave those flags. 

Sure, its like an American waving an Islamic flag in front of a British politician who wanted tougher immigration controls. Its dumb. Might as well also wave an English flag in front of Scottish politician who wanted independence, just because you wanted to annoy him. Its not really defensible just because you want to annoy Trump; its insulting to Americans who might not even like Trump.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Would be funny for "him" to make the US wall... :laugh:

If you're on welfare, you get to help build the wall.. Plenty of cheap labor here, no need for illegals to build it Like everything else. Once the wall is done all of them can get their old job back after we chuck the illegals back over it for good.

So, shovel ready jobs, welfare problem taken care of as well as the problem with illegals. Makes for a nice little threefer..

52 minutes ago, Zagadka said:

Occasionally, an item or other object functions more as a symbol than a reference to its origin. In this case, the Mexican flag being used as a symbol of something opposing Trump. It didn't need to be a Mexican flag, it doesn't try to bring Mexico into the immediate argument, but it is something to do rather than standing about. There are many examples of such objects being used symbolically completely out of place with a real world entity. Hell, even PEOPLE can serve in this role entirely outside of their control. This even happens with sports.

So this isn't an argument that Mexico is super (it clearly isn't). It is taking a manifestation of something Trump opposes that is flashy and gets attention. If they had something else obvious at hand (say, a can of orange paint with a dead squirrel stapled to it), they could have used that. Flags tend to be easier to handle than most symbols.

This +100 likes. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

Another liberal ###### off that their free ###### is about to come to an end.

Edit:

If Mexico is so great, why are the Mexicans fleeing here in droves? If Mexico is so great, why don't these idiots move their?

Hide contents

Mexico is not great.

The article is about people in Scotland and not Mexicans.

Also,

For the first time since the 1940s, more Mexicans have been leaving the U.S. to return home than arriving, a reversal that brings down the curtain on the largest immigration wave in modern American history, according to a new study.

Mexican migration has been falling for some time. But the Pew Research Center figures released Thursday suggest that the surge in legal and illegal Mexican immigration that helped transform America—and remains a contentious issue on the presidential campaign trail—may have peaked for good.

“Mexican migration to the U.S. has been one of the world’s great migration stories, and this data shows it has come to an end,” said Mark Hugo Lopez, director of Pew’s Hispanic research. Pew based its study on an analysis of U.S. and Mexican government data for the years 2009 to 2014.

In a shift, Asians now represent the only group in the U.S. that is growing because of immigration.

About 16 million Mexicans flocked to the U.S. during the last 40 years—about half of them illegally. But between 2009 and 2014, some one million returned to their country of origin, while 870,000 headed to the U.S., according to the report.

So I'm not sure what this has to do with "great Mexico", the reality has always been that the U.S. has a higher standard of living and immigrant are always drawn to that.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, SpeedyTheSnail said:

And heaven forbid he creates some jobs for the Scotts.

Yes, it's THAT easy isn't it...  You've clearly read nothing of the situation so probably best that you don't comment further else you'll just look even more ridiculous.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Nik L said:

>>scots vote for globalism in national referendum.

>>scots upset that someone from another nation is buying up land in theirs and altering it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, seta-san said:

>>scots vote for globalism in national referendum.

>>scots upset that someone from another nation is buying up land in theirs and altering it.

That says it all, doesn't it?

Meanwhile, the Scots didn't maintain or support the courses well enough to keep them in local hands, so they're lucky they didn't close and end up bulldozed for condos. 

Not to mention the jobs and local income generated doing the upgrades; meals, some hotel business, pass-through purchases etc. 

The horror! /s

Edited by DocM

On 6/25/2016 at 11:02 PM, Nik L said:

In short, for the locals, it's about nationalism.  Donald Trump has no issue with nationalism qua nationalism - after all, he's a nationalist himself.

However, wouldn't the PROTESTORS have a bigger complaint with the very locals that SOLD to Trump?

If a group of folks have an issue with a non-local purchasing something, there's a sure-fire way to avoid the issue - join forces to purchase the business yourself.

It was why I refused to get horked off over foreign-purchases of real-estate in the US (Japan during the rise of the yen, Chinese stashing their profits  in California real property, Russians doing the same, etc.).

However, I think that SOME folks complain for the sake OF complaining.

On 6/26/2016 at 1:19 AM, ctebah said:

The article is about people in Scotland and not Mexicans.

Also,

So I'm not sure what this has to do with "great Mexico", the reality has always been that the U.S. has a higher standard of living and immigrant are always drawn to that.

in short - economic refuge.  Neither new OR news.

The bigger issue is "taking undue advantage" of that - the Democrats (and other liberals) want to for political reasons - despite the domestic economic consequences.

15 minutes ago, PGHammer said:

In short, for the locals, it's about nationalism.  Donald Trump has no issue with nationalism qua nationalism - after all, he's a nationalist himself.

However, wouldn't the PROTESTORS have a bigger complaint with the very locals that SOLD to Trump?

If a group of folks have an issue with a non-local purchasing something, there's a sure-fire way to avoid the issue - join forces to purchase the business yourself.

It was why I refused to get horked off over foreign-purchases of real-estate in the US (Japan during the rise of the yen, Chinese stashing their profits  in California real property, Russians doing the same, etc.).

However, I think that SOME folks complain for the sake OF complaining.

I'm not sure you know too much about how he has acted in Scotland, and I don't blame you for that - it's barely made a column inch outside the UK beyond "Oh hey, he now owns a golf course".

It has nothing to do with nationalism.  It's to do with the bullish way Trump has conducted himself and his business with relation to this property.  Look, I dislike Trump but even I would suggest he has bought the resort, invested and put both money and labour into the local economy.  But that's not where it ends.

He starts making comments about how local architecture doesn't represent what "he" see's a Scottish golf club as looking like.  He starts lobbying against local business planning permissions (kinda like zoning regs), he acts like he IS local rule now.  He has been insulting to local produce, he shows a blatant lack of understanding of the Scottish stance on the EU situation...  He's just upset a lot of people, and then tells everyone he is loved!

It's not to do with nationalism, it's not to do with Mexico, heck it's not REALLY to do with Scotland.  It's people with an axe to grind against Trump, using a cause they know will get both his ire and the media's fleeting attention - which is totally justified.  They don't give a rat's ass about Mexico beyond that of most normal people, and herein lies my issue - I dislike the hijacking of an issue just for an unrelated grudge.

• Like 2

On 6/26/2016 at 3:50 AM, SpeedyTheSnail said:

If Mexico is so great, why don't these idiots move their?

Move their what? Their homes? Their burritos? Their barrios?  What? :p

3 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Move their what? Their homes? Their burritos? Their barrios?  What? :p

don't mind him, his brain turns to mush the second he puts the word liberal into the message box. which is every post he makes basically.

• Like 1