ACPI PPC Probe Failed

I am running Mint 17.3

Before I ran into this issue, my CPU was running at 100%, I look in system monitor, and java was doing that. So I shut down Minecraft, and the system was like at a stall. So I shut down all my other programs, and then I restarted. After this point, I get this error after I restart the system.

I have seen this problem 100 times, I know it has something to do with gfx drivers. I tried with nomodset, but that didn't do anything... So, I ran recovery mode, found nothing wrong, so I said just to boot from there, and lo and behold, I see a desktop... Ran like nothing happened...

Another Mint bug, perhaps?

TBH, if I get this issue again, I might just move to Jessie...

Bump. 24+ hours, almost 100 views, nothing? hm...

• 3 weeks later...

1/2 a month, and no replies. I still have this issue, but I have a workaround now.

I tried to go to the driver manager, and changed to all the different ones I had, 340, 352, Xorg. To no avail.

I just blame Mint....

Sorry bud. I didn't even see this one. :( I blame Mint too.

This bug has been around since (I think) the 12.04 days or even earlier. I remember seeing it since then. No idea what the deal is, but it's something to do with the ACPI module in Ubuntu-Specific kernels. I don't recall seeing it in Generic kernels or Debian ones.

So, I dunno. /shrug

sudo vi /etc/default/grub

Change the 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"

line to the following:

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash nomodeset"

Save the file, then run sudo update-grub Then reboot, and it should work.