Bugatti Chiron set to try top speed world record

I have to admit when I saw it at Goodwood FoS I was pretty disappointed, I was never a massive fan of the Veyron but I honestly don't think I could tell the two apart. I'd rather see a company develop a car that's fast in both a straight line and round the corners. I get this is still an engineering marvel but it just seems utterly pointless to me. 

2 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

LOL - Wow that is an ugly image.

What is it with Saab owners?  The drive around with this air of "I own a great car" smugness.  Do they know something?

Not a fan of the looks either, but the Chiron looks better than a Veyron. That's really not saying much though...

Either way, would've loved to see Koenigsegg or Henessey set a world record, but from what I recall, no manufacturer is allowed to use this VW owned track. 

7 minutes ago, Nik L said:

What is it with Saab owners?  The drive around with this air of "I own a great car" smugness.  Do they know something?

Ha, well they should all be swimming in tears since Saab went bankrupt and has evaporated. 

Was always a little sad that a lot of those models had turbos, a ton of torque, decent HP, but would still get slaughtered by a basic Civic.  Wrong move when trying to compete in the luxury sedan market.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tsupersonic said:

Not a fan of the looks either, but the Chiron looks better than a Veyron. That's really not saying much though...

Either way, would've loved to see Koenigsegg or Henessey set a world record, but from what I recall, no manufacturer is allowed to use this VW owned track. 

Exactly - I know there are only a handfull of places with a long enough straightaway to get up to that kind of speed.
The latest Koenigsegg or that Hennesey F5 was supposed to give it a run for its money.  Although I havent heard anything about the F5 - they did boost the performance on the Venom GT though.

1 hour ago, Nik L said:

I know !  I had one a few months back that refused to let me pass him.  I was just driving, not paying attention until I noticed he would punch it everytime I came up on his side.
It was like the stereotypical BMW 3-series owner  - where you just shake your head, and shrug and think "OK WTF was that about ?"

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Skiver said:

I have to admit when I saw it at Goodwood FoS I was pretty disappointed, I was never a massive fan of the Veyron but I honestly don't think I could tell the two apart. I'd rather see a company develop a car that's fast in both a straight line and round the corners. I get this is still an engineering marvel but it just seems utterly pointless to me. 

There are plenty of cars that go quickly in a straight line and around corners. Bugatti's philosophy is different. Some like it, some don't. I don't believe you are into cars enough to go to the FoS but can't tell the difference between the two cars.

11 hours ago, what said:

There are plenty of cars that go quickly in a straight line and around corners. Bugatti's philosophy is different. Some like it, some don't. I don't believe you are into cars enough to go to the FoS but can't tell the difference between the two cars.

Sure I know there are, but that's where IMO cars are more exciting. The concept of Adrian Newey and Aston Martin coming  together to make what they describe as a road legal car that will lap Silverstone quicker then an F1 car is far more exciting to me then something that can reach a new high top speed. 

:s Are you saying you don't believe I went? You don't have to be into technical details and obsessive over cars to enjoy FoS. I'm a F1 fan so a chance to go see the championship winning Brawn or any of the other F1 cars going up the hill is more than enough reason for me to want to go. There's probably a lot of super/hyper cars I couldn't name - I probably couldn't tell the difference between a Murcielago and a Gallardo, but whilst I was there I was able to remember what year Sebastian drove the Torro Ross that was there and I narrowed down the Ferrari to within a few years by its paintwork the height of its nose etc those are stupid minor details that mean nothing in reality but that's what I'm interested in.

From a lack of interest in they Veyron, it means I've never spent much time looking at it and I didn't spend much time looking at the Chiron either, it was more walk past and have a glance through the crowd and move on. So sure if you put two pictures up side by side I might be able to tell you which is which, but whilst I was there...no, not really like you say, some are into these philosophies and some are not. 

On 7/1/2016 at 3:00 AM, Skiver said:

Sure I know there are, but that's where IMO cars are more exciting. The concept of Adrian Newey and Aston Martin coming  together to make what they describe as a road legal car that will lap Silverstone quicker then an F1 car is far more exciting to me then something that can reach a new high top speed. 

:s Are you saying you don't believe I went? You don't have to be into technical details and obsessive over cars to enjoy FoS. I'm a F1 fan so a chance to go see the championship winning Brawn or any of the other F1 cars going up the hill is more than enough reason for me to want to go. There's probably a lot of super/hyper cars I couldn't name - I probably couldn't tell the difference between a Murcielago and a Gallardo, but whilst I was there I was able to remember what year Sebastian drove the Torro Ross that was there and I narrowed down the Ferrari to within a few years by its paintwork the height of its nose etc those are stupid minor details that mean nothing in reality but that's what I'm interested in.

From a lack of interest in they Veyron, it means I've never spent much time looking at it and I didn't spend much time looking at the Chiron either, it was more walk past and have a glance through the crowd and move on. So sure if you put two pictures up side by side I might be able to tell you which is which, but whilst I was there...no, not really like you say, some are into these philosophies and some are not. 

I think he was trying to take a stab at you - like "pfft  a typical peasant response... doesnt know what he is talking about"

At least that how I read it.

32 minutes ago, T3X4S said:

I think he was trying to take a stab at you - like "pfft  a typical peasant response... doesnt know what he is talking about"

I don't :)

9 hours ago, T3X4S said:

Kinda. Just find it odd that you can't tell the difference between two cars that are different - it's hardly 911 levels of laziness between models - and that because a car isn't designed to go around a racetrack, it's somehow pointless. 

I would suggest engineering that can allow a car to do 270mph while maintaining 19C in the cabin and a comfortable ride, and as easy to control at low speeds as any small European hatchback, is more impressive than nailing a huge engine to a light car and getting it around a track as fast as possible.

Like I said, different philosophies. Bugatti is a single model car company and aims to make it the best car in the world. Just because you don't find it interesting, doesn't make it pointless. 

15 hours ago, what said:

Kinda. Just find it odd that you can't tell the difference between two cars that are different - it's hardly 911 levels of laziness between models - and that because a car isn't designed to go around a racetrack, it's somehow pointless. 

I would suggest engineering that can allow a car to do 270mph while maintaining 19C in the cabin and a comfortable ride, and as easy to control at low speeds as any small European hatchback, is more impressive than nailing a huge engine to a light car and getting it around a track as fast as possible.

Like I said, different philosophies. Bugatti is a single model car company and aims to make it the best car in the world. Just because you don't find it interesting, doesn't make it pointless. 

Well like I said, with not much interest in the Veyron I've never spent much time looking at it so from a quick glance they looked pretty similar, especially without a side by side comparison. I just pulled up a few pictures and looking at them side by side yes I can see a difference, but if you showed me them both without names a few weeks ago I'd not have been able to point out which was which with anything more than a guess based on how the cars look etc.

Pointless is probably the wrong choice of words I'll give you that, its just not interesting to me. What they have managed to achieve is great I won't deny it I'd just prefer something a little more nimble. 

A stupid comparison I know but I'm far more impressed with something like the Nissan GTR then this - something that punches with the big guys but at half the price. I think the best way to relate to my feelings with Cars is how Rory Reid fed back after he drove the Ford Focus RS in top gear a few weeks ago. He made some outlandish quote around forget your Ferraris and your Lamo's the focus was just more fun to drive. A friend of a friend owns both the Focus RS and a Mclaren (I forget which model I think one of the x75 numbered type models) amongst some other cars and he actually said the same. Whilst the Mclaren is amazing, the Focus is actually much more fun to drive. Bigger, faster and more powerful is not always the best way to go.