Why Does America Use Strange Medication?

I've just watched a video about some guys convincing their sister there is a zombie apocalypse.

I've seen others where people are completely out of it, don't know what's happening.  Usually it's after some sort of operation, perhaps the anaesthesia medication.  Yet I've never seen this in the UK.  We clearnly have different types but I don't understand why America chooses a type that has really awful side affects?

3 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

We clearnly have different types but I don't understand why America chooses a type that has really awful awesome side affects?

Fixed that. :p

I'm not certain, but I would make a guess that it comes down to pricing. If you were to go to a private dentist in the UK I bet you could ask to be provided with the stronger stuff, but the NHS doesn't want to do that when the stuff they use does the trick.

• Like 1

Pricing predominantly.  In the UK  we have the national institute for health and care excellence (NICE) who sign off on any medication before it becomes publicly available.  In America, there's no real equivalent body.

So pricing being a major factor, as it costs to further develop away those side effects.

However, we do still have such amazing painkillers.  I have been on a cocktail of diazepan and codine before, and I was in a similar state.  People say the same for morphine (which I sadly am allergic to).  It's opiate based and can cause severe hallucinations in some people.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I've just watched a video about some guys convincing their sister there is a zombie apocalypse.

I've seen others where people are completely out of it, don't know what's happening.  Usually it's after some sort of operation, perhaps the anaesthesia medication.  Yet I've never seen this in the UK.  We clearnly have different types but I don't understand why America chooses a type that has really awful side affects?

laughing gas really isn't that awful side affects wise, unless you're abusing it. 

• Like 1

how about eastern bloc Meldonium / Mildronate which only this year got banned?

I notice something curious: any news outlet that demonizing Meldonium never properly citing any negative / adverse / harmful / awful side affects of meldonium usages...

1 hour ago, Nik L said:

In the UK  we have the national institute for health and care excellence (NICE) who sign off on any medication before it becomes publicly available.  In America, there's no real equivalent body.

It's called the United States Food and Drug Administration.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Toki Toki said:

It's called the United States Food and Drug Administration.

It's not quite an equivalent.  NICE isn't a government body and doesn't accept funds the same way US FDA does.  But yes similar in theory.

On June 30, 2016 at 4:27 AM, Nik L (No longer active) said:

Pricing predominantly.  In the UK  we have the national institute for health and care excellence (NICE) who sign off on any medication before it becomes publicly available.  In America, there's no real equivalent body.

So pricing being a major factor, as it costs to further develop away those side effects.

However, we do still have such amazing painkillers.  I have been on a cocktail of diazepan and codine before, and I was in a similar state.  People say the same for morphine (which I sadly am allergic to).  It's opiate based and can cause severe hallucinations in some people.

Fda. Has to get approved before it can be sold. Has to be effective in clinical trials for it to get approved (a big step in approval process) So not sure why you state such a thing doesn't exist in America.  No approval means you can't sell it to the public.  I work for Pharma and work with regulatory dept that submits to the fda.  I can assure you if the fda doesn't like it, for whatever reason, it won't get approved.  Fda audits are also fun...more fun than an fda audit, an inspection. 

i think they use Ketamine, which sedates them but causes hallucinations.

it's not just used in America, it's used across the world for sedation and relaxing the patient in dentistry and in hospitals. 

it is used in UK, but only at certain dentists, usually patients that require surgery at hospital for the removal get it. you don't see it because we don't push out patients from hospital until they have totally come round. 

On 6/30/2016 at 4:35 AM, mudslag said:

laughing gas really isn't that awful side affects wise, unless you're abusing it. 

That stuff does not work on me.

9 minutes ago, papercut2008uk said:

i think they use Ketamine, which sedates them but causes hallucinations.

it's not just used in America, it's used across the world for sedation and relaxing the patient in dentistry and in hospitals. 

it is used in UK, but only at certain dentists, usually patients that require surgery at hospital for the removal get it. you don't see it because we don't push out patients from hospital until they have totally come round. 

Ketamine, categorized as a “dissociative anesthetic,”1 is used in powdered or liquid form as an anesthetic, usually on animals. It can be injected, consumed in drinks, snorted, or added to joints or cigarettes. Ketamine was placed on the list of controlled substances in the US in 1999.

http://www.drugfreeworld.org/drugfacts/prescription/ketamine.html

You saw a video? And based a question off one video? Maybe this was a unique situation/case, you provide no details of the video, the drug, etc.. Seems like you took a single instance and based your opinion off that, which is pretty narrow minded? Not everything on TV or Youtube is real or means it affects everyone.

On ‎08‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 0:03 PM, sc302 said:

Fda. Has to get approved before it can be sold. Has to be effective in clinical trials for it to get approved (a big step in approval process) So not sure why you state such a thing doesn't exist in America.  No approval means you can't sell it to the public.  I work for Pharma and work with regulatory dept that submits to the fda.  I can assure you if the fda doesn't like it, for whatever reason, it won't get approved.  Fda audits are also fun...more fun than an fda audit, an inspection. 

The FDA are the equivalent to the MHRA, NICE are completely different, they decide if a drug should be made available on the NHS, for free. Last time I checked, America still doesn't have free, all inclusive healthcare, hence the guys point, because you have to pay in the US, they shaft you over and use more expensive medication which isn't needed in a lot of cases.

3 hours ago, SIE said:

The FDA are the equivalent to the MHRA, NICE are completely different, they decide if a drug should be made available on the NHS, for free. Last time I checked, America still doesn't have free, all inclusive healthcare, hence the guys point, because you have to pay in the US, they shaft you over and use more expensive medication which isn't needed in a lot of cases.

The FDA does this

"In the UK  we have the national institute for health and care excellence (NICE) who sign off on any medication before it becomes publicly available.  In America, there's no real equivalent body. "

To say that America doesn't have someone who signs off on medication before it becomes publicly available is rubbish.  I won't dispute free, all inclusive health care....well unless you are on government assistance. 

Just now, sc302 said:

The FDA does this

"In the UK  we have the national institute for health and care excellence (NICE) who sign off on any medication before it becomes publicly available.  In America, there's no real equivalent body. "

To say that America doesn't have someone who signs off on medication before it becomes publicly available is rubbish.  I won't dispute free, all inclusive health care....well unless you are on government assistance. 

We abosoutely do. It used to be one could get say a 90 day supply of Oxy but now it is only a 30 day supply and no refills.

7 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

We abosoutely do. It used to be one could get say a 90 day supply of Oxy but now it is only a 30 day supply and no refills.

That might be more DEA than FDA though....the DEA are more sticklers about drug enforcement (making sure you don't over do it) than making sure your product won't kill someone, the formulation makes sense, and the products are made in a clean and well documented environment. 

Just now, sc302 said:

That might be more DEA than FDA though....the DEA are more sticklers about drug enforcement than making sure your product won't kill someone, the formulation makes sense, and the products are made in a clean and well documented environment. 

You may be and probably are right. If one is on Medicare you have to try about 3 different drugs before they will even let you use OXY.

2 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

You may be and probably are right. If one is on Medicare you have to try about 3 different drugs before they will even let you use OXY.

That is more of Medicare not wanting to pay for the better drug that will work and making people try things that might work that cost less and are less...addictive.

My new insurance won't pay for a steroid that has worked in the past, they want me to use a crappier one that has more side effects...basically they want me to have the side effects before they will let me have the stuff that works.

Just now, sc302 said:

That is more of Medicare not wanting to pay for the better drug that will work and making people try things that might work that cost less and are less...addictive.

I don't think that the cost has anything to do with it. The addictive nature of OXY is why. Most people that get it are in horrible pain and near death.

For my insurance it is cost...the other drug costs more which means that my copay won't change but their out of pocket will. 

On a side note, did you know that manufacturers pay (sometimes over 90%) insurance companies to be on a plan that will cover their medication?  Did you know that manufacturers also pay Medicare and Medicade to be on their plans as well (also sometimes over 90%) all of this varies per product per state.  They don't pay 90% the entire life of the product....just the first 6 or 7 years...

Put that on top of the insurance you pay, the insurance your company pays, and the insurance the government pays for the individual to be covered and have medication...

5 minutes ago, sc302 said:

For my insurance it is cost...the other drug costs more which means that my copay won't change but their out of pocket will. 

On a side note, did you know that manufacturers pay (sometimes over 90%) insurance companies to be on a plan that will cover their medication?  Did you know that manufacturers also pay Medicare and Medicade to be on their plans as well (also sometimes over 90%) all of this varies per product per state.  They don't pay 90% the entire life of the product....just the first 6 or 7 years...

Put that on top of the insurance you pay, the insurance your company pays, and the insurance the government pays for the individual to be covered and have medication...

I am on Medicare are You? Most of the drugs I get are free, paid for by my secondary insurance.

Nope.  Of course somebody is paying....do you care, I don't think you do.  

Point is, somebody is paying.  Costs are going up though, whether you see it or not.  I am sure if your insurance wasn't paying you wouldn't pay for the meds unless you would die without them....even still, some people would die without them if they had to pay.

Just now, sc302 said:

Nope.  Of course somebody is paying....do you care, I don't think you do.  

Point is, somebody is paying.  Costs are going up though, whether you see it or not.  I am sure if your insurance wasn't paying you wouldn't pay for the meds unless you would die without them....even still, some people would die without them if they had to pay.

I have to pay for my secondary insurance. It is not free. I do care but free health care is never going to work. Not here.

Ok you pay your insurance, the government pays the insurance, the manufactures pay the insurance.....Who is getting paid in the end?  Are you really getting that medication for free?  Are you caring that the insurance companies are the crooks of all of this and the government isn't far behind?