Lost In Space (2018: Netflix)

http://www.superherohype.com/news/377213-netflix-new-lost-in-space

Netflix Sets New Lost in Space Series to Debut in 2018

Irwin Allen’s space family Robinson is heading back to the small screen. As revealed last October, Netflix is developing a new Lost in Space series. Today, the streaming service has revealed that a ten episode first season will debut in 2018. Planned as a one hour science fiction drama, the new Lost in Space hails from Legendary TV. 

The new Lost and Space series is being reimagined by the feature writing team of Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter), with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) showrunning. The plan is for the new Lost in Space to take its cues from the original series. As such, it will center around the Robinson family, who are forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. Equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, the new Lost in Space is officially described as being “a survival story for the ages”.  

“The original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy, and that made it very appealing to a broad audience,” says Cindy Holland, Netflix Vice President of Original Content. “The current creative team’s reimagining of the series for Netflix is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world.”

Created by Irwin Allen, the original Lost in Space premiered on CBS in 1965 and went on to last for three seasons and 85 episodes. The series focused on the intergalactic adventures of The Robinson family, who were originally sent into the stars aboard the Jupiter 2 for colonization, but the vessel was sabotaged by the backstabbing Dr. Zachary Smith, whose efforts to disrupt the trip result in the clan being stranded in the cosmos.
>

This has what it takes to be great.  Smith could be a very interesting character if done right.

Off to watch that terrible movie remake with Matt LeBlanc ;)

• Like 2

Yes. YESSSSSS. I've tried watching the movie again but couldn't make it through. Such a good premise and opportunity to be an amazing series

@philcruicks right up your alley!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John. said:

Yes. YESSSSSS. I've tried watching the movie again but couldn't make it through. Such a good premise and opportunity to be an amazing series

@philcruicks right up your alley!

right up my alley indeed, looking forward to this, I've managed to get through the train wreck that is the Matt LeBlanc film, but it is far from good, this I have really high hopes for.

• Like 1

One good part of the LIS film was Gary Oldman's characterisation of Smith. Not always well written, but he as always nails bad; "...evil knows evil..."

• Like 2

On 6/30/2016 at 6:11 PM, DocM said:

One good part of the LIS film was Gary Oldman's characterisation of Smith. Not always well written, but he as always nails bad; "...evil knows evil..."

Probably the perfect version of LIS would be the original Robinsons and Major West with Gary Oldman as Smith. Or no Smith at all. I watched the original pilot on the DVD set, and the show was much more enjoyable without the character.

On 7/2/2016 at 6:13 AM, Slarlac249 said:

The movie was pretty enjoyable and had some good action scenes.

It was a decent action sci-fi flick, but it wasn't Lost in Space. That version of the Robinsons came off as a bit too dysfunctional to be a good choice for that mission. The originals, while perhaps a little too "ideal" at times, were more plausible as a family that was also a colonization team.

(And my preference for the original has nothing to do with the fact that I've had a crush on Angela Cartwright since I was 13, I swear ... :D )

37 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Probably the perfect version of LIS would be the original Robinsons and Major West with Gary Oldman as Smith. Or no Smith at all. I watched the original pilot on the DVD set, and the show was much more enjoyable without the character.

It was a decent action sci-fi flick, but it wasn't Lost in Space. That version of the Robinsons came off as a bit too dysfunctional to be a good choice for that mission. The originals, while perhaps a little too "ideal" at times, were more plausible as a family that was also a colonization team.

(And my preference for the original has nothing to do with the fact that I've had a crush on Angela Cartwright since I was 13, I swear ... :D )

Angela Cartwright - yeah I had a thing for her too.  

• 2 months later...

http://tvline.com/2016/09/16/lost-in-space-remake-netflix-taylor-russell-cast-judy-robinson/

Netflixs Lost in Space remake has locked in its first cast member, tapping Falling Skies actress Taylor Russell to play daughter Judy, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The role of John and Maureens eldest child was originated by Marta Kristen in the 60s series, and later played by Heather Graham in the 1998 feature film.

Russells other notable credit is Lifetimes Unauthorized Saved by the Bell Story, in which she played Lark Voorhies.

The 10-episode, Legendary TV-produced family drama/sci-fi adventure, which was formally ordered in June and is set to premiere in 2018, will take its cues from the original series and follow the Robinson family as they are forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and their own personal demons.

The project hails from writers Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter), with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) set as showrunner.

The original series so deftly captured both drama and comedy, and that made it very appealing to a broad audience, said Cindy Holland, Netflixs VP of original content, back in June. The current creative teams reimagining of the series for Netflix is sure to appeal to both fans who fondly remember the original and to create a new generation of enthusiasts around the world.

Taylor_Russell.jpg

• 2 months later...

1449.jpg

http://www.superherohype.com/news/386279-parker-posey-joins-netflixs-lost-in-space-as-dr-smith

Deadline is reporting that Cafe Society and Mascots star Parker Posey has signed on to co-star in the Netflix reboot of Lost in Space. She will portray the iconic schemer Dr. Smith, as played by Jonathan Harris in the original series and Gary Oldman in the 1998 feature film.

She joins a cast that includes Molly Parker (House of Cards) as Maureen Robinson; Toby Stephens (Black Sails) as her husband, astrophysicist/expedition commander John Robinson; Maxwell Jenkins (Sense8) as her son, Will Robinson; and Taylor Russell (Falling Skies) as her daughter, Judy Robinson.

The new Lost in Space series is being reimagined by the feature writing team of Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless (Dracula Untold, Last Witch Hunter), with Zack Estrin (Prison Break) showrunning. The plan is for the new Lost in Space to take its cues from the original series. As such, it will center around the Robinson family, who are forced to come together in a time of crisis. Stranded light years from their intended destination, they find themselves battling a strange new alien environment and also their own personal demons. Equal parts family drama and sci-fi adventure, the new Lost in Space is officially described as being “a survival story for the ages.”

Created by Irwin Allen, the original Lost in Space premiered on CBS in 1965 and went on to last for three seasons and 85 episodes. The series focused on the intergalactic adventures of The Robinson family, who were originally sent into the stars aboard the Jupiter 2 for colonization, but the vessel was sabotaged by the backstabbing Dr. Zachary Smith, whose efforts to disrupt the trip resulted in the clan being stranded in the cosmos.

7 hours ago, DocM said:

I'll have to hear her say "The pain ... the pain!" before I can pass judgement.

But there's no mention of a casting for Penny in the article? Have they simply not cast her yet, or are they doing a LIS remake without my favorite character? Of course, the article didn't mention Don West either, so hopefully they're still casting.