Which version is recommended?

14 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Clean install here.

All those are disabled.. there's no workaround except installing a wierd app from store? all the apps from store give that error.

Thanks for all your support

DevTech is correct. You should have installed a MS account and uses it as is until RS1 becomes final Next month some time or August 2nd. I only use one of the apps and none are disabled. You can uninstall some of them in settings but if you disabled them in a not to correct manner you may never get them back. Good luck.

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 1:52 PM, Gary7 said:

All I know is that if you are running Windows 7 Pro SP1 and chose to upgrade, MS is going to upgrade you to Windows 10 Pro. I had no choice and neither does anyone else. That is unless you want to pay for an inferior product.

No one is arguing against that. Inferior product? Absolutely not.

35 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

No one is arguing against that. Inferior product? Absolutely not.

For your requirements, you could run with Home or plain Windows 10, not professional.

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1302062-which-version-is-recommended/?do=findComment&comment=597481032

Maybe you need read the thread before posting. Home is inferior to Pro maybe that in one reason MS charges $119 for it and $199.00 for Pro if you buy it.

21 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1302062-which-version-is-recommended/?do=findComment&comment=597481032

Maybe you need read the thread before posting. Home is inferior to Pro maybe that in one reason MS charges $119 for it and $199.00 for Pro if you buy it.

You sir are also risking the Zombie Apocalypse. While we are at it we might as well figure out the age old question of how many Angels can dance on the edge of a pin.

Circaflex is just annoying sleeping Zombies by pointing out that Windows 10 is Windows 10.

So you are both correct and both firmly implanted in the law of diminishing returns...

Everyone remember Windows Ultimate and all the unspecified goodies that Microsoft promised to dribble out for that ridiculous amount of money and delivered the most pathetic rip-off of all time?

So don't expect people to get excited over Active Directory or even my favorite of Hyper-V - they should dust off some old copies of Windows Movie Maker and Windows Media Center and Silverlight 6.0 and throw that in for the nasty price jump to Pro.

But Windows 10 is not just Windows 10 there are various versions which have been pointed out way too many times in this thread which should have at at most 5 posts.

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

But Windows 10 is not just Windows 10 there are various versions which have been pointed out way too many times in this thread which should have at at most 5 posts.

1. As an O/S, Windows 10 is Windows 10

2. As an SKU costing more $, getting Pro for FREE appeals to the Rabbid Black Friday Shopper buried inside all of us.

3. But even free, there is not a single feature of Pro that a normal user of Windows would ever appreciate - sort of like buying a new car and the salesman offers to throw in a special compartment to hold your Buggy Whips , a $2,000 option for FREE and golly that sure is exciting right?

10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

1. As an O/S, Windows 10 is Windows 10

2. As an SKU costing more $, getting Pro for FREE appeals to the Rabbid Black Friday Shopper buried inside all of us.

3. But even free, there is not a single feature of Pro that a normal user of Windows would ever appreciate - sort of like buying a new car and the salesman offers to throw in a special compartment to hold your Buggy Whips , a $2,000 option for FREE and golly that sure is exciting right?

Then this same logic would apply to Windows 7 except it was not free. When I updated from Windows 7 Pro, I did not have a choice, MS upgraded me to Windows 10 Pro. The OP had Windows 7 Pro SP1, it matters not what features a normal user would utilize or not utilize. I had no choice and neither did the OP. That is unless he wanted to buy a Home version of Windows 10. I would have to believe that there were features he did not use in Windows 7 Pro so why did he have it?

MS has an upgrade path in which they follow. Who is to say who a normal user is? The OP may one day become the next Bill Gates. It is my belief that one should get what they are entitled to unless they opt to purchase it.  The upgrade seems to be so confusing to some why in the world would MS offer them a choice?

9 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Then this same logic would apply to Windows 7 except it was not free. When I updated from Windows 7 Pro, I did not have a choice, MS upgraded me to Windows 10 Pro. The OP had Windows 7 Pro SP1, it matters not what features a normal user would utilize or not utilize. I had no choice and neither did the OP. That is unless he wanted to buy a Home version of Windows 10. I would have to believe that there were features he did not use in Windows 7 Pro so why did he have it?

MS has an upgrade path in which they follow. Who is to say who a normal user is? The OP may one day become the next Bill Gates. It is my belief that one should get what they are entitled to unless they opt to purchase it.  The upgrade seems to be so confusing to some why in the world would MS offer them a choice?

You are exactly describing case #2.

The hard part is to see Pro as neither an advantage or disadvantage, just an Attention Thief.

If you can put on the hat of the logical scientist for a moment and excise the demon of the bargain shopper, some people in the thread are simply pointing out that there is ZERO VALUE to Pro to 99% of everyone and the MAGNET of FREE doesn't change that.

Of course the only sensible choice is the free upgrade to Pro since an exertion of time and money would be needed to end up with another SKU and the extra features of Pro use up ZERO extra disk space since they are just (essentially) a bit that gets flipped in the Windows Registry.

But there is also a kind of MENTAL THIEF OF ATTENTION going on because that satisfying "get what you are entitled to" has ZERO VALUE. Just spending a millisecond thinking satisfying thoughts about your FREE PRO is robbing your brain of otherwise useful thoughts.

Nobody is seriously suggesting anyone downgrade as some sort of protest against THE COMPLETE LACK OF VALUE in Pro which faintly reminds me of the Windows Ultimate rip-off but are simply pointing for whatever conversational and discussion value it might have in this thread that the Emperor Has No Clothes, but as long as we have a Sales Mentality, the SKU appears to make sense when all it is really is a Money Grab by Microsoft. It would make more sense to make a product named "Enterprise Add-on Pack" and charge $2,000 each for it or something but then they would give up the revenue stream from all the Workstation PC's sold by Dell, HP and Lenovo that always come with Pro.

Just now, DevTech said:

You are exactly describing case #2.

The hard part is to see Pro as neither an advantage or disadvantage, just an Attention Thief.

If you can put on the hat of the logical scientist for a moment and excise the demon of the bargain shopper, some people in the thread are simply pointing out that there is ZERO VALUE to Pro to 99% of everyone and the MAGNET of FREE doesn't change that.

Of course the only sensible choice is the free upgrade to Pro since an exertion of time and money would be needed to end up with another SKU and the extra features of Pro use up ZERO extra disk space since they are just (essentially) a bit that gets flipped in the Windows Registry.

But there is also a kind of MENTAL THIEF OF ATTENTION going on because that satisfying "get what you are entitled to" has ZERO VALUE. Just spending a millisecond thinking satisfying thoughts about your FREE PRO is robbing your brain of otherwise useful thoughts.

Nobody is seriously suggesting anyone downgrade as some sort of protest against THE COMPLETE LACK OF VALUE in Pro which faintly reminds me of the Windows Ultimate rip-off but are simply pointing for whatever conversational and discussion value it might have in this thread that the Emperor Has No Clothes, but as long as we have a Sales Mentality, the SKU appears to make sense when all it is really is a Money Grab by Microsoft. It would make more sense to make a product named "Enterprise Add-on Pack" and charge $2,000 each for it or something but then they would give up the revenue stream from all the Workstation PC's sold by Dell, HP and Lenovo that always come with Pro.

I understand all of that all I am saying is basically what I said in one of my first posts that if you have Win 7 Pro you get Wind 10 Pro That is it no choices MS makes the choice for you unless you want to pay. When I get off of this Technical Preview Program as soon as RS1 goes final, I plan to start using Hyper -v and other features. I also will lose some apps as I have no use for most of the Metro Apps.  Sure getting what you are entitled to has -0- value as it is free.. That being said I can hardly think with all of the fireworks going off and I really want to stop posting in this thread. Have a great evening or morning or whatever. An enjoyable discussion. Ha Yes the Windows 7 Ultimate was one of the biggest ripoffs that MS ever made.:)

54 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

I understand all of that all I am saying is basically what I said in one of my first posts that if you have Win 7 Pro you get Wind 10 Pro That is it no choices MS makes the choice for you unless you want to pay. When I get off of this Technical Preview Program as soon as RS1 goes final, I plan to start using Hyper -v and other features. I also will lose some apps as I have no use for most of the Metro Apps.  Sure getting what you are entitled to has -0- value as it is free.. That being said I can hardly think with all of the fireworks going off and I really want to stop posting in this thread. Have a great evening or morning or whatever. An enjoyable discussion. Ha Yes the Windows 7 Ultimate was one of the biggest  ripoffs that MS ever made.:)

I'm not a "last word" kind of person, but you might of missed the point I was trying to make using way too many words.

It is not 0-value because it is free, it is 0-value because it is 0-value. It has nothing anyone needs. By "anyone" I mean just about everybody.

I value Hyper-V and so do you which means now it has value to us. In fact Hyper-V alone is worth the difference for me. But that puts us in the 1% (or less) and might cloud our view into how for everyone else, zero, really is zero.

And I have completely given up on worrying about whether there is any point to this. Every time we make another silly post, somebody viewing the main page will see it and jump in with a comment to select Pro without reading the discussion so far. So as long as we keep making posts and as long as enough people are completely lazy and irresponsible we can keep this Zombie going forever! Maybe achieve some Neowin record of some sort :)

On 7/3/2016 at 9:58 PM, DevTech said:

Might be an issue arising out of the upgrade or did you do a clean install?

For Windows Store, O/S must be on Drive C: with free space, Background Transfer Service must be on, Windows Update must be on, none of the hacks blocking Windows 10 phoning home etc

Also try an app you have never installed before as a test.

Ok.. so the error was related to the Windows Firewall service which was disabled.. enabled, installed Lync..tried to log out (Windows+L) = ok , tried to restart.. at login, the same issue :|

1 hour ago, Cosmin said:

nobody ? :(

This is regarding the error on page 2? Sorry I had to ask, the last page was just a back and forth between members, one who always wants to have the last say.

What I would do, is open command prompt (admin) and run sfc /scannow. This could take some time, but if it finds errors and is able to fix them great. See if your problem is fixed. If it says it found corrupted files, but could not fix them, you will need to use dism to repair the image (see how-to: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html), then run sfc /scannow again and see if it fixes the problem. If it doesnt, your best bet might be to use the reset this PC function and you can let it keep your files and apps or start clean.

it's regarding the login : 

Ok.. I'm coming with my first question.. regarding W10.. trying to make it skip the login password, since I'm using it at home I got 2 account or something.. I must use the pin for the first one in order to continue at..login.

Also.. why it's a "Cosmi" at login..even on C:\Users 

01.thumb.jpg.9912ec212912991f0f0554e8355

02.thumb.jpg.26cebe152ba22e06cc5a2b4e2de

1 hour ago, Circaflex said:

This is regarding the error on page 2? Sorry I had to ask, the last page was just a back and forth between members, one who always wants to have the last say.

What I would do, is open command prompt (admin) and run sfc /scannow. This could take some time, but if it finds errors and is able to fix them great. See if your problem is fixed. If it says it found corrupted files, but could not fix them, you will need to use dism to repair the image (see how-to: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html), then run sfc /scannow again and see if it fixes the problem. If it doesnt, your best bet might be to use the reset this PC function and you can let it keep your files and apps or start clean.

Surprise! It's an internet forum where the lack of physical presence often leads to tiny errors of miscommunication that take a lot of back and forth until everyone understands what the other person is saying and this particular thread doesn't have much of a point otherwise.

This guy just did a fresh install so all your refresh stuff is pointless. He is caught up in some sort of mental groundhog day (the movie) and ends up in the same place. He can't navigate the rather unfair layout of Microsoft's User Interface that leads to a Microsoft Account as one of the logins when all he wants is a local account. Even though he can't figure out something this basic he mucks with fundamental Windows services and cripples his Windows 10 so that trying to help him involves imagining what has he done to his Windows while at the same time looking at his desire for a XP style of never seeing a "lock screen" (easy to do but requires changing quite a few settings here and there)

So let me run off and watch Bill Murray's classic movie so I can figure out which squirrel we have to shoot with a deer rifle to get out of this endless loop.

I wish that all your story could help me out.. or at least clarify why the squirrel can't be shooted even xp'rience has it's unique style!

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2016 at 11:36 PM, DevTech said:

Actually, the main benefit of Pro is Hyper-V. It is a huge benefit for the minor price difference. It is useful for anyone that actually uses a computer for real work.

I use both my computers for work but I never used Hyper-V. I guess my work doesn't qualify as "real work" that "real men" do :rolleyes:

11 minutes ago, DevTech said:

This guy just did a fresh install so all your refresh stuff is pointless.

You would be surprised what can happen after a clean install, obviously something has gone wrong here. Not sure what the rest of your nonsense was trying to convey, but cool.

6 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

I wish that all your story could help me out.. or at least clarify why the squirrel can't be shooted even xp'rience has it's unique style!

Right click the start button, select Command Prompt (Admin) and when the prompt opens, type sfc /scannow and post the results when it finishes.

1 hour ago, Cosmin said:

it's regarding the login : 

Ok.. I'm coming with my first question.. regarding W10.. trying to make it skip the login password, since I'm using it at home I got 2 account or something.. I must use the pin for the first one in order to continue at..login.

Also.. why it's a "Cosmi" at login..even on C:\Users 

01.thumb.jpg.9912ec212912991f0f0554e8355

02.thumb.jpg.26cebe152ba22e06cc5a2b4e2de

I have experienced this one every Windows 10 unit. This happens after you do a major update, or version change. I see it after every insider build. Rebooting the machine should solve it until the next major update. When you reboot it should only show the Microsoft account, in your case the @outlook.com account. I have my machine setup to skip needing a password, I followed this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup.html . Are you using Windows Hello to login? I know I had to setup a Pin on my laptop for that feature to work. If you go to Settings -> Accounts -> Family & Other Accounts does it show a local account on there as well?

Just now, onewarmslime said:

I use both my computers for work but I never used Hyper-V. I guess my work doesn't qualify as "real work" that "real men" do :rolleyes:

Already replied to that issue.

3 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

You would be surprised what can happen after a clean install, obviously something has gone wrong here. Not sure what the rest of your nonsense was trying to convey, but cool.

Right click the start button, select Command Prompt (Admin) and when the prompt opens, type sfc /scannow and post the results when it finishes.

agreed if sfc /scannow comes up clean, try a clean refresh from settings, solves a lot of funny quirks from a direct upgrade, seems to run smoother too but thats maybe placebo effect :)

3 minutes ago, Cosmin said:

Well, I guess Step 1 for anything is keeping a positive mental attitude, and you have done that quite well.

Step 2 is don't change any default Windows 10 settings connected with fundamental Windows Services. Don't turn off any background services etc.

Step 3 is to remove the Microsoft Account Login so you just have a single Local Login

Step 4 is to make that Local Login automatic.

Step 5 is to change Power Stettings to turn off the login after screen turns off and after screen savers etc.

Results until now.. :(

Capture.PNG

I'll put in practice your workflow +DevTech.. I quess I'll be able to..

9 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

I have experienced this one every Windows 10 unit. This happens after you do a major update, or version change. I see it after every insider build. Rebooting the machine should solve it until the next major update. When you reboot it should only show the Microsoft account, in your case the @outlook.com account. I have my machine setup to skip needing a password, I followed this guide: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3539-sign-user-account-automatically-windows-10-startup.html . Are you using Windows Hello to login? I know I had to setup a Pin on my laptop for that feature to work. If you go to Settings -> Accounts -> Family & Other Accounts does it show a local account on there as well?

Unless he changes his mind, he wants a single Local Login and NO Microsoft Account.