Which version is recommended?

There is something seriously weird about his computer and the shotgun approach to find a band-aid solution has never identified a root cause of the issue.

It's like the sort of patch work work-around you often see in large I.T. departments and just shake your head in the wonder of human invention to create such a backwards contraption...

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2016 at 4:24 PM, sc302 said:

Not joining to a microsoft active directory domain = no need for professional.  All functionality is in windows 10 that you need to do what you need to run your software.  Main (not only) benefit is to join an AD domain.  There are others, but you have not hit on anything that would require you to go to professional. 

Flatly untrue.  The biggest driver (for me) for Pro since Windows 8 has nothing to do with ActiveDirectory or domains - but everything to do with virtualization - Microsoft Hyper-V.

Unless you absolutely require support for running specific VMs (such as OS X or OS/2) Hyper-V - which is included with Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro/Enterprise/Education suits your needs better than either vmWare (which is commercial) OR Oracle VirtualBox (which is free, but can be unwieldy).  I'm not talking out of my hat, either - I largely use Hyper-V except for those particular niche cases that require vmWare or OVB.

While Hyper-V requires support for SLAT in your CPU (in terms of Windows clients), do you have any idea how far the SLAT support stretches?

Intel CPUs - all Core i-series (regardless of generation) and all Intel CPUs later than LGA1155 other than specific niche models.  (That includes all LGA1150 retail-boxed CPUs with at least two cores - such as G3220 and G3258.)

AMD CPUs - all CPUs later than second-generation Turion without exception; also, several second-generation mobile Turion CPUs are supported - I have an HP Pavilion that was my original Hyper-V testbed - I now use it for mobile development.

AMD Fusion APUs - all of them - no exception.

Due to the sheer range-gate of Windows 10 - and especially Pro's feature range - I follow an old mantra that actually dates back to Windows XP; better to have a feature handy and not need it than need a feature and not have it.  I tried Enterprise (on the notebook), but Enterprise is a superset of Pro, and I needed no unique-to-Enterprise features.  Pro, on the other hand - while having a LOT of features - is not overkill.

On 7/11/2016 at 6:17 PM, DevTech said:

There is something seriously weird about his computer and the shotgun approach to find a band-aid solution has never identified a root cause of the issue.

It's like the sort of patch work work-around you often see in large I.T. departments and just shake your head in the wonder of human invention to create such a backwards contraption...

Well he insists on disabling features for no good reason, of course Windows will act weird, it's like these kids can't help but tinker with things that should not be tinkered with, or misplaced paranoia, that has been a bit rampant around here lately