A farewell

You get a lot of people stroppily leaving Neowin, usually after a moderation they disagree with or a feeling of being unjustly treated - most of the time this is nothing beyond self-pity or lashing out.  This is neither.

Neowin used to be a really useful site, answering tech questions or links to resources - and that was great.  I personally found my way here as I was interested in WindowsXP themes and Xbox modifications.

Then it opened up a little more and became a really fun site.  Lots of jokes, lots of banter - but still also really useful.

There was a fairly crap period when it was full of teens trolling, but that passed really quickly :)

Now it's become very political.  I enjoy political discourse, staying up with friends and peers playing out scenarios, arguments and counter arguments over a few bottles of red wine until the early hours.  No agenda to change anyone's mind on anything, nor any blinkered views - the ability to argue means you need to see both sides, and thankfully my peer group consists of people from many different backgrounds.  I argue my beliefs (and at the end of the day, they are only beliefs) passionately, but what I really love is if someone can actually change my mind - not argue me down but open my mind to a new way of seeing things.  This happened recently with regards to the Brexit situation (another story for another time) or my views on gun control going from "no guns" to "look, there are valid reasons, let's discuss this".  I enjoy seeing both sides, and often in times of quiet I challenge myself to construct arguments that counter my personal stance.

As I Say, there are beliefs, but there are also facts.  The media try to muddy that water and I argue that there are no unbiased media outlets.  One newspaper may paint a group of people as your enemy, while another may show their plight.  I see this, acknowledge it and understand it - agendas are being served.  And people buy into it.  Literally everyone does (myself included) at one level or another.  I consider myself more analytical than most, I've always looked at motivations, subtexts, who benefits from an action, so on and so forth.  Some people are less so, and fair play - I genuinely believe that there is a level of bliss within ignorance - and that's not a bad thing.

The problem lies when ignorance is hand-in-hand with misplaced passion.  There is a sentiment across the western world of "Islam is your enemy" - at some point between the 1960s and 1980s this agenda was seeded, and recently thanks to situations such as 9/11, terror atrocities and major immigration it is being pushed stronger than ever.  The first people to buy into it are the ignorant, then the disenfranchised and then the apathetic - happened before and will happen again, it's very very simple to label a group as the reason for your woes.

But now it's pervading a site I used to treasure.  Not a day goes past without someone misrepresenting a story to either blame Islam or dress it up as Islam's fault.  I acknowledge that it has it's faults, and by our 2016 western standards they seem insurmountable.  And assuming this immigration as well as the supposed "global culture", it's fair to measure these by our standards.  Let's not forget the killings each day that have nothing to do with Islam, but they get brushed under the rug.

But hey, back on topic.  This sentiment has pervaded the vocal ones on here, and to be perfectly honest - I'm tired of arguing with the uninformed.  It's not what I come here for, this used to be an intelligent community.

So, look - this isn't an attention seeking post - I genuinely don't care for that, attention makes me cringe.  I've made a number of acquaintances on here who's opinions I rate highly, I'm not gonna kiss-up and drop names just as I won't call-out the cancerous trolls on here, but the valuable people here really made this an epic site for well over a decade.  I personally feel the mods here do an outstanding job, and if spoken to like adults, they react as such.  Neowin may well still be a great place for some, I'm not saying it's not.  Just not for me anymore I'm afraid - I can't invite this level of ignorance and bigotry into my life, I don't do it in real life, I don't do it online.

So farewell.  I'll not be closing my account or any such gestures - if anyone ever needs anything from me (I dunno, maybe a link I shared a while back or whatever) then great.  But to the community at large, goodbye and good luck :)

And if anyone here wants to stay in touch, my facebook link is in my sig.  When I'm not arguing a cause, I'm quite a good laugh.

I agree with a lot of your points.  I used to be a lot more active here but nowadays I seldom post.  Unfortunately, a lot of stupid people joined and this place isn't as fun any more.  

3 minutes ago, Gary7 said:

Have a great life, you will be missed.

This is NOT targeted at you (or any individual) by the way, I actually enjoy our chats.  It may even have been partly down to you I opened my mind on guns.

Just now, Nik L said:

This is NOT targeted at you by the way, I actually enjoy our chats.  It may even have been partly down to you I opened my mind on guns.

I remembe when you were niklouge or something similiar.

Just now, Gary7 said:

I would change your mind. At least stay till your subscription runs out. But I also have noticed that many have left.

Nah, I've tried to leave before and certain people persuaded me to stay.  Fair play, but if I do it twice then I become a fraud.

• Like 2

Just now, Nik L said:

Nah, I've tried to leave before and certain people persuaded me to stay.  Fair play, but if I do it twice then I become a fraud.

Good luck in your future endeavors. I just found out recently that you are a DJ.

What a shame, I really enjoyed reading your levelheaded posts. They always explained my feelings a lot more eloquently :)

Enjoy whatever forum you will end up on! 

Just now, Gary7 said:

Good luck in your future endeavors. I just found out recently that you are a DJ.

I just found out recently that I'm not LOL (long story short: been doing it over a decade and music became numb to me, moreover my time/money equation made me no longer want to continue).  Was a hell of a blast and made ridiculous amounts of money (for the time it took) but I have one more gig booked in then that's me.  I downsized my car so cannot carry all the gear anymore so as to paint myself into a corner of not doing it.  I still produce from home from time to time, but time I something I have little of ;)

This site sure is not what it used to be.  Lots of issues and posts made that do nothing to contribute to the site or to the thread they are posting in. 

Anyway, take it easy.  Many won't think anything bad or negative if you decide to post more.  People get frustrated and need a break every now and then.

• Like 2

Nik, I wish you the best.  I've enjoyed your remarks and response many times, not always, and we've had differing opinions a couple of times, but in the end you have been upfront and straightforward. You're honesty and clarity will be missed.  Don't abandon us completely, stop by and rattle the cage now and again.  Take care.

• Like 3

It's sad that  your leaving and I can see your side of things. I don't post much now although I feel like I do more beating up than being useful around here. Take care and good luck with what the future brings :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nik L said:

<snipped>

You and I started getting along ;P We use to debate a good bit a while back then we started quoting and liking each other's post.. But, I understand the need to get away from Neowin. 

Two years ago, it got really bad, and you had a lot of these types of post, it just became sorta normal.. But,  haven't seen one of these post in a while.. 

I'll add on however.. I've been a member here for 10+ years.. Had a sub for a while also.. But, decided it wasn't worth it until the site has improved with quality post.. Still don't think it's there yet.. I'm not sure if Neowin wants to try to take it to that next step or not.. 

With that said.. This site has become a cesspool of BS. There are too many closed minded people when it comes to tech. This site was great about sharing great ideas and building on them. Now, everything is a damn debate, and not even for a good reason.. Too much fanboy-ism and no logic. People will hate on the iPhone and will take 10 minutes writing a post about how much they hate it, then talk about Samsung or another brand.. If you expect Apple to come out with something ground breaking every year and when they don't you complain.. guess what, you're a closet Apple fanboy and hold them to a higher standard. Apple has been the same since the debut of the iPhone. Stop bitching about them. It was fun to bitch about them 5 years ago, move on. You can't praise Apple on these forums without getting ######## flamed. If you don't like Apple, great, move on. If you want to argue about Apple and their products, great, but do so intelligently. Apple has a great product, as do others. People love to bring up Apple only has so and so marketshare.. Guess what? Apple isn't trying to take over Microsoft's Market Share. If they wanted too, they would of tried. Apple has a great niche and in places where Macs are needed, they do a great job.. It isn't a ######## competition. Everyone on here acts like all these brands are in a pissing match.. Get over yourselves.. 

Neowin was a great place for news, but seems to be a little behind now and I'm seeing stories that I've seen on the verge or else ware .. But, I've never came to Neowin for tech news, I've only really valued their forums. The forums have gotten better, but still lacks a large group of quality members. 

People make fun of Linux all the time here.. again, they bring up market share.. Guess what.. Linux isn't trying to take over.. Yeah, you have some distros that try to be the next big thing.. but Linux has a great user base and is amazing for coders. Guess what.. This server.. Linux. 

If people could get over themselves, and look at the bigger picture.. See why this person is using Linux, see why this person is using MacOS.. that doesn't mean you have to start using or like it more than what you like.. But, you need to learn. Never stop learning. Learning why people like something, will only improve your skill set. Once you become complacent, you are worthless and will never self improve. 

So yeah.. I've done a lot of talking about Linux and MacOS.. Guess what I typed this on? A Surface Book! Does that mean I'm not allowed to use other OSes? No. I have four different Linux VMs for test environments and other task.  I love when people say.. This is NeoWIN.. Awesome.. It is called NeoWIN.. but remember a few years ago.. When NeoWIN had their own Linux distro.. Yeah.. Neowin was a great place where people came together and built of other peoples ideas and continued learning.. You have people on here still thinking Windows Phone is coming to make it.. I still like these forums, even if I don't post that much anymore.. But I read a lot of Budman's and sc302's post.. Neowin needs to go back to it's roots or make that next step into becoming a true tech site. 

• Like 3

Take care Nik. Gonna miss your insight. You were one of the those I could count on for civility and level-headedness. Good luck.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fusi0n said:

<snip>

(Y)

And to add, all the political BS.   Just as bad as the tech bias/hate.  I like discussing things as much as the next person, but the arrogance, egotistical, and out right mean attitudes of some on here....it gets to be a bit much.

• Like 1

@Nik L, you were always a pleasure to deal with. You disagreed with tact, and agreed with grace. Sad to see you leave. Neowin has a tough crowd at times if you happen to enjoy other products that are not from Microsoft, or if your political views are not in sync with the majority. I've been called just about every name in the book here, stalked, and nasty PM messages sent. Fortunate enough for me, Neowin is just a place I come to in order to get away from everyday life, I don't allow this place to get anywhere near my real life, and the poisonous attitudes roll off like melted butter. When this environment starts affecting your life, it's time to step away, and I don't blame you. I sincerely wish you the best.

• Like 2

go on, youve stayed your hour!

why dont you try one of your mothers bras....oh wait wrong post :p 

Joking aside Nik, genuinely sorry to see you go mate. 

but you must do what you feel is right buddy. :( 

peace out bro.

• Like 2

Sorry to see you go, Nik. We wish you all the best. You are always welcome here. Please feel free to return whenever you wish. Godspeed!

• Like 3