Cloud Services

I have been thinking of getting cloud storage. I've looked around at a few. But iyo (in your opinion), what would you choose? (or use) I don't need encryption stuff and all that. I'm not uploading my banking stuff or anything.. Just stuff I don't wanna lose.

Any suggestions, people? free or not...

Maybe a dumb question but how much space would you want/need?

^ yeah kind of important info there ;)  Also you don't want to loose so a backup, or do you want access to it from anywhere at any time and do you want it to sync to all your devices or multiple devices?

Backup is different then sync stuff.. For example crashplan is a backup, while dropbox is sync.. They are not the same thing, just because you have a file in the clould does not make it a good backup.. For example if that file gets corrupted it will sync just fine to say dropbox, now the cloud version is corrupted.  While you could download previous version of that, you don't have an unlimited version system and I don't believe they are available forever, etc. so if you don't notice for while that file would be gone.

Are you willing to play or you just want something free?  Which ties into how much space you think you need?

Basically, what they offer per GB. There's really not a limit I need...

I see Carbonite gives you 500GB for 4.92/mo. While SugarSync Gives you 100GB for 9.99/mo.

Edit: If any of them has Linux software, that would be good. As my Dad and I run Linux Mint right now. We have android tablets too, wouldn't mind uploading a few of our pictures, too.

Edit 2: exactly what is the difference between backup and sync?

LIke I stated already sync is realtime copy the changes to a file to the clould.. So if say a file gets corrupted or encrypted by ransomware that file is now also in the cloud that way.  Your only way to pull that back would be a previous version, which sync software depending on the company may or may not provide or maynot provide version that goes back far enough.  Its not designed as a "backup" its designed as storage and sync.

What do you want to you want these files to move between your tablet and your desktop, phone, your dad's machine or do you want a place to have a backup that is offsite from your house?

While yes with sync you do have a copy offsite, its not really a "backup"  even though it might be able to be that is say your machine blew up.  But corrupted, virus infected files this would not be a good backup.

As to limit - how much do your files you would want in the cloud take up now?  1G, 10GB, 100GB, 100TB there is a HUGE freaking difference ;)

I have my critical information on my "storage" HDD, also have some of it saved on my Dad's HDD, and my smallest stuff on my 16GB USB drive. So, it's well backed up between 3 places.

Looking at my drives, the least I would need is 200GB.

"There's no virus in Linux!" I know all about that :p Just, some people...

• 1 month later...

Cloud storage is the most reliable and secure backup. When searching for cloud servers go fr the provider who is offering encrypted cloud storage because in that way your data will be least prone to leaks and outside threats. I would recommend not using free cloud because hey they are free but they do come with their cons for instance minimal storage or bandwidth problems and not properly secure. I use Dropbox, and after you have run out of free gbs its then per gb cost. I find carbonite more expensive but it's up to you. 

Spoiler