Question about flying

I have not flown in over 10 years, and tomorrow I am going to fly and visit my family. I know allot has changed since 9-11 with the TSA. So I am wondering what do I need to bring, do they have issues with cell phones/tablets, etc? I have seen the list that the TSA has of approved items, but I am still not 100% certain about some things, for example: I have a small knife on my key chain, is it safe to assume it is a no go? Any advice that you guys can give me would be appreciated!

I'd definitely say the knife is a no no, all be it in the UK where things could be different (I doubt it) I've been stopped before as I had a bunch of screw drivers in my bag that I'd forgotten about from a previous job with work. I was allowed through OK but that was the last I saw of them.

Again, I'm applying my experience as a UK flyer which does include plenty countries over the years but cell phones, tablets and laptops etc are fine, you just need to take them out of any bags etc and put them in the trays provided when passing through security.

Liquids are usually peoples biggest problem, if your putting stuff in the hold then make sure you put any and all liquids in there - soap, toothpaste shampoo etc. If you are only taking hand luggage (again double check) but its usually ok as long as they are under 250 ml.

when you're going through security I always get everything possible off my person, so coats, belts, watches (I don't wear any jewlrey but I'd take it off If I do) and even my passport all go through the scanners with the aim to make my passage through the quickest and simplest it can possibly be.

Skivers hit most of the points I could think of.

Best to get a TSA approved lock for your suitcase, else they'll just bolt cut yours off if they want too look inside.

Remember once your through security you can always buy liquids so if you need a drink I personally wouldn't bother with taking a 250ml drink, I'd just buy one once through.

Also it's the container size, not actual amount of liquid, so half filling a 500ml bottle won't be allowed a the container is over 250ml.

and "Liquids" also covers gels and pastes etc.. so no hair gel or toothpaste for example.

Make sure you pack your own bag, and as Skiver hinted at, check the random pockets and pouches for things left over from other trips.

I fly often, both within Canada and cross-border to the US.

• Pocket knife is a no-no, they will confiscate it
  • Liquids rule is 100mL containers not 250mL, and they must be contained in a 1 quart clear ziplock bag
  • Tablets remain in your carry on bag, laptops out on the tray
  • US TSA make you take off your shoes and x-ray them (Canada does not require this)

My advice is - remove shoes, belt, wallet and anything else from your pockets and place in tray to avoid the blue gloved greeting on the other side of the metal detector.