Red Dead Redemption backwards compatibility coming Friday, Amazon sales almost up 6,000%

The news has hit that RDR is finally being added to the Xbox One backward compatibility list, something fans have been asking for quite some time now.   The news that it's going to happen this Friday has sparked a buying boost on Amazon it seems, it's sales have jumped almost 6,000%.   This just shows that hit games from the 360 being added to the BC list can bring new life to them and sell more copies.

Currently, Red Dead Redemption's Game of the Year Edition (which includes all of the downloadable content) is the No. 26 seller in Amazon's video games category. So what? Well, its old position was 1,544.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/7/6/12106074/red-dead-redemptions-backward-compatibility-news-jolts-sales-almost

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Andrew said:

6000% is related to the rank, not the sales just FYI.

I went with what the source was called it in their headline.   You're such a nitpicker. :p

• Like 1

This thread would be a lot busier if the people always hating on the 360 arcade releases showed some love for the AAA releases. Still been getting some Black Ops 2 time in lately myself :laugh:

Ranking in at the 2nd highest video game on Amazon right now up to 11, only under Monster Hunters for the DS that releases in a week.

Glad I've never gotten rid of a physical game in my life, so no need to repurchase here.

top.jpg

15 hours ago, George P said:

I went with what the source was called it in their headline.   You're such a nitpicker. :p

I'm a big fan of being technically correct

Anyone else have this loaded yet?

Seems to be playing better than it ever did on the 360 which is amazing, Hopefully Scorpio and Microsoft push ahead with emulation wizardry for OG xbox compatibility with the Scorpio and One, replaying my entire game collection any time I want on the one console is what I want more of in the future (Y)

Don't know how much time I'll get to invest in this with the backlog I have at the moment but multiplayer is crawling with people for those who want to jump on.

Digital Foundry's video suggests a more stable 30fps (low 20s in some places on 360) play and some reduced screen tearing.

What magic to bring a six year old game up to barely playable standards on "modern" hardware.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, compl3x said:

Digital Foundry's video suggests a more stable 30fps (low 20s in some places on 360) play and some reduced screen tearing.

What magic to bring a six year old game up to barely playable standards on "modern" hardware.

If only emulation was equivalent to the power of the machine, I agree and found it totally outrageous that I had to redownload the entire game why wouldn't it just work off the disc with all that dam power?!

5 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

If only emulation was equivalent to the power of the machine, I agree and found it totally outrageous that I had to redownload the entire game why wouldn't it just work off the disc with all that dam power?!

It makes me wonder if all this BC stuff is even worth it. It's not a bad thing to have but I am pretty "meh"about it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vandalsquad said:

Because of the nature of the BC system they're using, all the BC games added are self contained packages with the game code and custom app-v bits needed to run the game.   There isn't some single emulator installed on the XB1 that just loads up some rom/disc and plays, it's not doing it in the traditional way people think.

The only possible way to "just work off the disc" is if they actually put 360 hardware inside the XB1, which makes no financial sense, Sony tried it and ditched the idea quick with the PS3 having PS2 hardware inside.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, compl3x said:

No different from playing a 6 year old game on your modern hardware PC and having it run just the same as it did 6 years ago but with a smoother frame rate.

3 minutes ago, George P said:

Because of the nature of the BC system they're using, all the BC games added are self contained packages with the game code and custom app-v bits needed to run the game.   There isn't some single emulator installed on the XB1 that just loads up some rom/disc and plays, it's not doing it in the traditional way people think.

The only possible way to "just work off the disc" is if they actually put 360 hardware inside the XB1, which makes no financial sense, Sony tried it and ditched the idea quick with the PS3 having PS2 hardware inside.

It didn't bring any real cost saving of bringing down the PS3 cost by removing the hardware, PS2 games we're competing too well, and Sony wanted to push PS3 games. 

Just now, Eternal Tempest said:

It didn't bring any real cost saving of bringing down the PS3 cost, PS2 games we're competing too well, and Sony wanted to push PS3 games. 

It didn't bring cost savings right away because Sony was still making and still had PS2 emotion engines to use, but the longer it went on and the harder it gets to make older hardware the costs become an issue, that's why we get hardware revisions in the first place.  At some point making those emotion engines for the PS3 would become a cost issue, and not to mention get in the way of their plans to slim down the thing, let's not forget how huge the original PS3 was.

11 hours ago, compl3x said:

It makes me wonder if all this BC stuff is even worth it. It's not a bad thing to have but I am pretty "meh"about it.

6 hours ago, George P said:

Really should of put /sarcasm at the end of that sorry guys thought that tounge in cheek was obvious maybe only to me :p

14 hours ago, George P said:

No different from playing a 6 year old game on your modern hardware PC and having it run just the same as it did 6 years ago but with a smoother frame rate.

Drastically different considering you can usually mod those games and they have more inbuilt options to mess with.

I used to be a strong supporter of BC, but now I wonder if it is worth the effort. Especially if any resources are being siphoned off to make it possible.

52 minutes ago, compl3x said:

Drastically different considering you can usually mod those games and they have more inbuilt options to mess with.

I used to be a strong supporter of BC, but now I wonder if it is worth the effort. Especially if any resources are being siphoned off to make it possible.

Not every game has a moding system built in, and even fewer people mess with mods, besides, that's like moving the goal posts now.  In most cases you'll run that older game smoother, it won't look vastly different and if you are waiting for mods to make it look better then that's a whole different subject outside of BC.    BC just means the old stuff runs, like it did, without needing to change any code, moding is changing code, apples to oranges. 

2 hours ago, George P said:

Not every game has a moding system built in, and even fewer people mess with mods, besides, that's like moving the goal posts now.  In most cases you'll run that older game smoother, it won't look vastly different and if you are waiting for mods to make it look better then that's a whole different subject outside of BC.    BC just means the old stuff runs, like it did, without needing to change any code, moding is changing code, apples to oranges. 

Fair enough. I guess I cannot get as excited about a game I finished 6 years ago being made 're-available' on modern consoles. A HD upgrade would have been nicer but I guess that isn't really R* thing.